-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Lexmark Printer Network connection

Help for Current Versions of MX
Toastrack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Lexmark Printer Network connection

#1 Post by Toastrack » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:35 am

I am trying to get a Lexmark X543 all-in-one printer to print from my MX-16 machine, so far without any success:

1. I have the printer working OK on the network from a Win 10 machine, suggesting that the network connection and the printer itself are both OK.

2. The MX system looks for the printer on the network because at boot-up it says the printer might not be connected.

3. I have tried setting up the printer both via MX Printer Settings and also vis CUPS. Same result - "unable to locate printer".

No way will the printer print from MX-16. I think I need the correct driver. Lexmark only offer downloadable drivers, no further help, but knowing which driver to download has baffled me, also finding which debian kernel I am using.

Please can someone talk me through identifying the correct driver (if any) and how to install it?

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Lexmark Printer Network connection

#2 Post by fehlix » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 am

Toastrack wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:35 am
I am trying to get a Lexmark X543 all-in-one printer to print from my MX-16 machine, so far without any success:

1. I have the printer working OK on the network from a Win 10 machine, suggesting that the network connection and the printer itself are both OK.

2. The MX system looks for the printer on the network because at boot-up it says the printer might not be connected.

3. I have tried setting up the printer both via MX Printer Settings and also vis CUPS. Same result - "unable to locate printer".

No way will the printer print from MX-16. I think I need the correct driver. Lexmark only offer downloadable drivers, no further help, but knowing which driver to download has baffled me, also finding which debian kernel I am using.

Please can someone talk me through identifying the correct driver (if any) and how to install it?
Always good to use ip-addresses in cases when printer discovery fails. To find the IP-address of your printer you can use e.g. avahi-discover, install with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install  avahi-discover
Run from terminal commnad line as normal user

avahi-discover
to find the IP-address.
WIthin Printer Setting choose IP address as Device-URI
e.g. something like

socket://Printer-Ip-Adress:9100
or choose add new printer and select AppSocket/HP JetDirect.
and enter
Host: Printer-Ip-Adress
You might select under Choose Driver the existing Driver for Lexmark X534 - Foomatic.
Or choose any other printer-protocol the lexmark printer offers to support.
Of course if Lexmark offers better driver to download, you might choose those ones.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Toastrack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by Toastrack » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you.
I have done exactly what you suggested, and verified the Host line is correct, but when I try to print a test page I still get the message "printer may not be connected". This is after the MX-16 had found the printer.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by fehlix » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:50 pm

Toastrack wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm
Thank you.
I have done exactly what you suggested, and verified the Host line is correct, but when I try to print a test page I still get the message "printer may not be connected". This is after the MX-16 had found the printer.
So what is your Device-URI looks like and what is within the field "Mark and Model" of the Printer Properties?

EDIT: And what is within those fields after the printer was found by the system, i.e. after adding new printer and search for network printer?

EDIT2: Could you run this command from the terminal command line:

lpstat -s
and post the text-output here.

Toastrack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by Toastrack » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Currently the printer itsel fnow needs setting up again, following a power outage.
So I'll re-visit this thread once that is sorted.
Meanwhile, thank you.

Toastrack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by Toastrack » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:35 am

The good news is that the printer now prints just fine from my MX-16 machine. The problem cleared after I widened the IP addresses permitted beyond what seemed necessary for the printer - ot too sure why this changed anything.

The bad news is that Win 10 gets "Error" signal on trying to print to this printer. Not something for this thread.

Thanks again to those who encouraged.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by fehlix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:56 am

Toastrack wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:35 am
The good news is that the printer now prints just fine from my MX-16 machine. The problem cleared after I widened the IP addresses permitted beyond what seemed necessary for the printer - ot too sure why this changed anything.

The bad news is that Win 10 gets "Error" signal on trying to print to this printer. Not something for this thread.
The printer gets it's IP from the DHCP (e.g. of the router), as this might change after some situations this can cause issue, when discovery goes wonky.
Best practices to avoid such IP related issue: always assign a fixed IP to a printer, either with the DHCP (e.g of the router) or within the printer itself and within hosts table of the clients (including WinOS clients).
In addition I do always assign the different "discovery"-hostname(s) which the avaihi-discovery protocall get's reported from the printer to this fixed IP address within the host tables of the client, as the printer might report other hostnames than the DHCP server.
You can find out the "discovery"-hostnames the printer reports in to the network, by running

avahi-discover
after installing like

sudo apt install avahi-discover
:puppy:

Toastrack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by Toastrack » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 am

Thanks for the lead! Very useful facility I had not discovered, even though avahi was aleady installed.

Seems I have multiple instances to sort out and rationalise.

Return to “MX Help”