-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Opera can't play HTML5 videos on some sites

Help for Current Versions of MX
clicktician
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Opera can't play HTML5 videos on some sites

#11 Post by clicktician » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Please ignore this if it is a totally unusable <as in stupid> idea... lol

If you install the VLC plugin in Opera, you can right click on any Video link and choose "Open in VLC"
VLC can certainly decode H.264 streams if you don't mind playing them in a VLC window.

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... ia-player/
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

Number3Pencils
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#12 Post by Number3Pencils » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:18 pm

@catalinux, I tried installing that .deb... gdebi told me it has an unsatisfiable dependency: it needs libc6 >=2.27 (MX is using 2.24, it seems, from `$ apt-cache policy libc6`). Another promising possibility defeated.

@clicktician, I've installed that, and it works a treat with the page that it recommends for testing (HTML5 Video test page). But in real-internet situations not so much. It's supposed to add an "Open in VLC" item to the right-click menu, but it seems on Twitter the right-click menu has been entirely disabled on videos, and on Reddit there's a menu but no "Open in VLC" on it.

You've all got some good ideas. Seems we're being thwarted at every step. I don't really have any others... does anyone?

colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by colin_b » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Stevo wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:04 pm

I asked dpkg for where my installed packages put their file:

Code: Select all

dpkg -S libffmpeg.so

iridium-browser: /usr/lib/iridium-browser/libffmpeg.so
iridium-browser: /usr/lib/iridium-browser/libs/libffmpeg.so
slimjet: /opt/slimjet/libffmpeg.so
opera-stable: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/libffmpeg.so
etcher-electron: /opt/Etcher/libffmpeg.so

So the only version of that library is shipped with those third-party browsers. Slimjet's and Opera's shipped versions do not support h.264 because of the large fees involved, so that's why we have to replace them with one that does, and repeat that every time the browser is upgraded. The same sort of location might also work for other Chromium-based browsers, such as Brave or Vivaldi.

I don't know how Iridium handles h.264.
It is clear this problem can be a real pain across many browsers, especially for people who are unaware of its cause.

As a suggestion, would it be possible to automate the installation of the latest libffmpeg.so into affected browsers via a button on the MX codec installer? If this could be done a single click of a button would eliminate video playback problems, and browser updates would not cause issues.

catalinux
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#14 Post by catalinux » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:43 am

Number3Pencils wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:18 pm
@catalinux, I tried installing that .deb... gdebi told me it has an unsatisfiable dependency: it needs libc6 >=2.27 (MX is using 2.24, it seems, from `$ apt-cache policy libc6`). Another promising possibility defeated.
Didn't see the tag. maybe you can open the .deb file and extract it from there
Acer Aspire One D260
Lately got a Lenovo V110-15ISK too

Number3Pencils
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#15 Post by Number3Pencils » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 pm

In case anyone finds this thread looking for the solution, I thought I'd mention that in a post in a different thread, community genius and hero fehlix has solved all our problems, in a one-liner no less:

Code: Select all

sudo -v; curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | sudo tar xJ -C / --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/,'
Worked for me, and for several people in that thread.

Return to “MX Help”