Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What browser does everyone use

Help for Current Versions of MX
Message
Author
User avatar
KoO
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:21 am

Re: What browser does everyone use

#41 Post by KoO » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:46 pm

fehlix wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:10 pm
KoO wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:06 pm
You can download and install the packages after you update the APT package index:
or install from MXPI (MX Package Installer) :p
Thanks for that never realised waterfox had been added to synaptic.
AntiX 17.2 (4.18.7) i3 ,Windows8.1 , Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 , 16gb HyperX , Samsung EVO 860 500 GB , Samsung EVO 860 500 GB , GTX 970
Lenovo T430 AntiX17.2 (4.18.7) i3 ,Windows8.1 , i5 +4000 , 8gb , Samsung EVO 860 500 GB , 1TB HGST

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1731
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: What browser does everyone use

#42 Post by fehlix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 pm

KoO wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:46 pm
... never realised waterfox had been added to synaptic.
Well, you won't find it in synaptic. It will only show up in synaptic after having it installed through MXPI (MX Package Installer). ;)
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

User avatar
k_sz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:11 am

Re: What browser does everyone use

#43 Post by k_sz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Mostly : Firefox (Drugs, you know ? Heavy shait)
then, currently trying :
  • Palemoon (Firefox fork) but i don't like it - I couldn't even explain why. Maybe the "old Firefox" feeling ?
  • Flashpeak Slimjet (Chromium fork), but even if it's light, fast, the pre-installed shortcuts to Amazon and Ebay make me more than tick. Plus the lie : "Slimjet extensions website" being Google shop. And I can't import my gazillion passwords DB (Chromium/Chrome's cursed legacy). I don't even understand how this browser has made its way to MX repos. But it's fast, eh ! I'll probably uninstall this one within 10 days coz't makes me angry.
  • Netsurf : yes, but no : even if it's fast and practical for most text-based websites, it's not as efficient as a Links/Lynx browser, neither is it as an everyday/common tasks web browser
During last year, I've tried :
  • Chromium, again, installed/installed for the Xth time, but the Google affiliation is still bothering me. See Flashpeak Slimjet for more reasons to avoid it.
  • Qupzilla : OK, efficient, fast, well organized ergonomy, no major bugs AFAIK, but I'd like to choose between GTK and Qt at some point. And I do like GTK. But I'll probably give it a try again soon.
  • Vivaldi : my guts uninstalled this one after 10 minutes of use.
  • Several text-based with pix/extralight-nosugar-glutenfree browsers > no ty, not for everyday tasks.
I have to confess : I haven't tested Opera since more than 10 years ; I probably won't test it again, and I don't believe in miracles... well, who knows, eh ?
I'll probably give a try to Waterfox very soon. And to Qupzilla, again.

Mostly subjectively yours,
k_sz
Last edited by k_sz on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX17.1@daily updates
> Laptop : Work In Progress, Celeron monocore | DDR2 | Probably antiX ^^

User avatar
piperdan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: What browser does everyone use

#44 Post by piperdan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Firefox. :cool:

User avatar
wulf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 am

Re: What browser does everyone use

#45 Post by wulf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:36 pm

Slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd share this for anyone using a Firefox based browser > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s/?src=api
It allows you to launch the browser in full screen as a default action, and if you also check "hide toolbars", you get maximum available screen for viewing. I don't know if this will work for Palemoon, but it works fine in the latest Waterfox release..

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1731
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: What browser does everyone use

#46 Post by fehlix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:48 pm

wulf wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:36 pm
Slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd share this for anyone using a Firefox based browser > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s/?src=api
It allows you to launch the browser in full screen as a default action, and if you also check "hide toolbars", you get maximum available screen for viewing. I don't know if this will work for Palemoon, but it works fine in the latest Waterfox release..
You mean the same full-screen like pressing F11 at startup?
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

User avatar
wulf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 am

Re: What browser does everyone use

#47 Post by wulf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:52 pm

fehlix wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:48 pm
wulf wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:36 pm
Slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd share this for anyone using a Firefox based browser > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s/?src=api
It allows you to launch the browser in full screen as a default action, and if you also check "hide toolbars", you get maximum available screen for viewing. I don't know if this will work for Palemoon, but it works fine in the latest Waterfox release..
You mean the same full-screen like pressing F11 at startup?
Haha..Yeah, I know..It's the height of laziness to launch it from the menu with a mouse click and not having to bother pressing the F11 key :cool:

User avatar
colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Re: What browser does everyone use

#48 Post by colin_b » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:05 pm

With regard to uBlock Origin, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lisQQmWQkY is highly recommended viewing.

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1731
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: What browser does everyone use

#49 Post by fehlix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:09 pm

wulf wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:52 pm
Haha..Yeah, I know..It's the height of laziness to launch it from the menu with a mouse click and not having to bother pressing the F11 key :cool:
I do have in latest basilisk / palemoon and waterfox now a real full-screen without any top-bars/borders
by either pressing F11 or Alt+V+F or click 2 times on the menu View -> Fullscreen.
Not sure whether I would see a need for an extension/addon to provide me that functionality, YMMV. :popcorn:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

User avatar
wulf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 am

Re: What browser does everyone use

#50 Post by wulf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:50 pm

fehlix wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:09 pm
wulf wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:52 pm
Haha..Yeah, I know..It's the height of laziness to launch it from the menu with a mouse click and not having to bother pressing the F11 key :cool:
I do have in latest basilisk / palemoon and waterfox now a real full-screen without any top-bars/borders
by either pressing F11 or Alt+V+F or click 2 times on the menu View -> Fullscreen.
Not sure whether I would see a need for an extension/addon to provide me that functionality, YMMV. :popcorn:
I agree with you. It's a very basic addon and not a necessity by any stretch of the imagination. It's just about customising and streamlining for me. My browser starts in full screen and I have to press F11 to come out of full screen, which is the opposite of the current default behaviour.

Post Reply

Return to “MX Help”