-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What browser does everyone use

Help for Current Versions of MX
JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: What browser does everyone use

#31 Post by JimC » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 am

fehlix wrote: ...
For Pale Moon extensions look first here:
https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/
Thanks. i looked through the extensions on that page yesterday, and didn't find what I wanted. For example, I see an extension to update uBlock, but I didn't see uBlock itself. So, I used one of the older versions of uBlock on Mozilla's pages showing previous versions at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ns/?page=2

I installed version 1.13.8, since it shows that the newer 1.14.0 and 1.13.10 are not compatible with this browser (when viewing the versions page using Pale Moon 27.9.4). Other extensions that I use like PrefBar were also not listed on the Pale Moon extensions list page. So, I got them from the Mozilla pages for extensions. The versions that do not say they're incompatible are working fine so far.

Ironically, Pale Moon was more compatible when compared to newer versions of Firefox with PrefBar, as the latest version of it is not compatible with Firefox Quantum (it will not work with Firefox version 57 or newer, according to the author) See note on the Mozilla page for it here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

Anyway, so far, so good. Pale Moon is working much better than other browsers I tried on this Dell Inspiron 11 with its 2GB of RAM. Times change, where you tend to need more and more memory to support newer versions of operating systems and applications, and 2GB is a bit lacking now. ;-)

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#32 Post by fehlix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 am
i looked through the extensions on that page yesterday, and didn't find what I wanted. For example, I see an extension to update uBlock, but I didn't see uBlock itself.
You'll find here: uBlock Origin Updater
a link to How to install uBlock Origin in Pale Moon 27 guide
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#33 Post by JimC » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:15 am

fehlix wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 am
You'll find here: uBlock Origin Updater
a link to How to install uBlock Origin in Pale Moon 27 guide
The version I installed yesterday (uBlock Origin v1.13.4) from Mozilla's download page for extensions is working fine, without doing anything special. The filter lists i normally use installed with no problems,too. I just went to the "all versions: link for uBlock here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ns/?page=2

Then I scrolled down past versions 1.14.0 and 1.13.10, since they are listed as not compatible with this browser version. So, I clicked on the green "Add to Firefox" button for uBlock Origin 1.13.4 instead, and it installed without errors and has been working fine (blocking the elements I do not want loading, while using the filter lists I added to it).

I'll keep an eye out to make sure the auto update feature for my filter lists is working OK, and if not, try the extension to update uBlock from the Pale Moon Extensions list page. But so far, this version of uBlock Origin (1.13.4 from Mozilla's extension download pages) seems to be working fine.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#34 Post by fehlix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:15 am
The version I installed yesterday (uBlock Origin v1.13.4) from Mozilla's download page for extensions is working fine, without doing anything special. The filter lists i normally use installed with no problems,too. I just went to the "all versions: link for uBlock here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ns/?page=2
But so far, this version of uBlock Origin (1.13.4 from Mozilla's extension download pages) seems to be working fine.
The latest µBlock Origin provided to me with the autoupdater is version 1.16.4.4.
You might try to manually check for updates within Pale Moon extension page about:addons

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#35 Post by kmathern » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

I mainly use Firefox, but also use Chrome and SeaMonkey occasionally.

In the last month or two I've also started using Links (Stevo's links2 package) and Netsurf to view sites such as the Washington Post which disable reading articles for free when you're not a subscriber.

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#36 Post by JimC » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:21 am

fehlix wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 am

The latest µBlock Origin provided to me with the autoupdater is version 1.16.4.4.
You might try to manually check for updates within Pale Moon extension page about:addons
I didn't expect it to update the uBlock version for me. I''m running 1.13.4, the same version I installed yesterday from the extension page for it at mozilla.org

I'm not concerned about the uBlock version being used, as long as it can use the newest filter lists added to it (and can auto update those lists).

Perhaps I should be concerned about the uBlock version, in case writers of undesirable content have figured out way to bypass the way older version of uBlock filter content. But, I doubt that using a version of it from last year (1.13.4 from July 2017) is going to present any issues, as the newest filter lists install and work fine.

I'll keep an eye on those lists to make sure they are being updated automatically (as I have auto update for filters checked on)

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#37 Post by JimC » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am

kmathern wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am
I mainly use Firefox, but also use Chrome and SeaMonkey occasionally.

In the last month or two I've also started using Links (Stevo's links2 package) and Netsurf to view sites such as the Washington Post which disable reading articles for free when you're not a subscriber.
Yes, I hate it when that happens (only x number of articles can be read in a month unless you have a paid subscription). It seems like more and more sites are adopting a "pay to view" model lately (after reeling you in by allowing some free articles first). Grrrrr

I'll try to take some time soon to look into trying that solution ((Stevo's links2 package with Netsurf, at least on news sites that restrict you. Thank for sharing.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#38 Post by fehlix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:51 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am
kmathern wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am
.. disable reading articles for free...
.. only x number of articles can be read in a month ...
Whats the number X?
Attached my µmatrix rules, which seem to have unblocked something magically somehow ?
wahshington-post.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KoO
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#39 Post by KoO » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:06 pm

I use Waterfox now. After years of Palemoon the moon has gone like Firefox to many changers bloke too many extensions.

Run these commands to add this repostory to your APT sources list:

echo 'deb https://dl.bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb release main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox.list

And the public GPG key:

curl https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjec ... keye116477 | sudo apt-key add -

You can download and install the packages after you update the APT package index:
AntiX 17.2 (4.18.7) i3 ,Windows8.1 , Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 , 16gb HyperX , Samsung EVO 860 500 GB , Samsung EVO 860 500 GB , GTX 970
Lenovo T430 AntiX17.2 (4.18.7) i3 ,Windows8.1 , i5 +4000 , 8gb , Samsung EVO 860 500 GB , 1TB HGST

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#40 Post by fehlix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:10 pm

KoO wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:06 pm
I use Waterfox now. After years of Palemoon the moon has gone like Firefox to many changers bloke too many extensions.

Run these commands to add this repostory to your APT sources list:

echo 'deb https://dl.bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb release main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox.list

And the public GPG key:

curl https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjec ... keye116477 | sudo apt-key add -

You can download and install the packages after you update the APT package index:
or install from MXPI (MX Package Installer) :p

Return to “MX Help”