-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX on the Laptop

Help for Current Versions of MX
Richard

Re: MX on the Laptop

#11 Post by Richard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:06 am

Thanks.
That does appear standard, although you appear to have two sources for Chrome?
Opps, missed the 'deb http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ debian extra'
(for Samsung printer drivers)
just saw the debian. As asqwerth, mentioned below.

So, please advise the apps installed via terminal and from where?
If everything is from our default repos, which are tested but there are always possibilities,
then we need to know what could be causing your edge case problem.
Last edited by Richard on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
MX171 on Lenovo T430-2017: i5-3320M, 8 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119GB SSD
MX171 on AA1(ZG5) & EeePC-1005ha: Dual Core N270, 1 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 150GB HDD
DC9, LibO61, Dbox, PM, FF, mPDFed, CherryT, Vbox. __ Linux Counter #208633

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by asqwerth » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:11 am

The bchemnet repo is a repo you added on your own. It is not a default repo, so any updates that originate from that source may affect the proper running of your MX system.

A Google search would indicate that this is a third party repo that is not linked to Samsung in any way.

https://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/legal.html

Does anyone know how safe or compatible this repo is?

[ADDED] if the problems are caused by this foreign repo and the packages/updates from within, then no updates coming from MX will repair your issues.

So let's get more info on this repo and the google chrome one, because if the chrome repo is added via MX's own Package Installer, the source will not look exactly like how yours does.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Richard

#13 Post by Richard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:41 am

Well, the printer drivers probably shouldn't affect so many other things,
however,
I am curious as to why suddenly all audio ceased working after an update, several other programs ceased working, including WINE and despite removing it, installing it, and same for other programs that have ceased working, I am still at a loss as to why a perfectly working system could be so easily crippled after an update that was in the name of security as stated in the downloads updater widget that you have in the launch bar.
adding unknown, untested repos puts you in the role of beta tester.

Please post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzdlopr
just to get a better idea of what your are working with.
Last edited by Richard on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MX171 on Lenovo T430-2017: i5-3320M, 8 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119GB SSD
MX171 on AA1(ZG5) & EeePC-1005ha: Dual Core N270, 1 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 150GB HDD

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by asqwerth » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:46 am

MarkG wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:27 pm
I am curious as to why suddenly all audio ceased working after an update, several other programs ceased working, including WINE and despite removing it, installing it, and same for other programs that have ceased working, I am still at a loss as to why a perfectly working system could be so easily crippled after an update that was in the name of security as stated in the downloads updater widget that you have in the launch bar.

Last update saw Slic3r stop working, despite reinstalling it, it won't run. Cura is a bit on and off and Repetier Host was also acting up and KediKAD....

All these programs functioned fine prior to the updates that followed the update the crippled the laptop....

There does not appear to be any rollback feature to undo an update.

I read a thread t hat talks about rolling back A driver, but nothing I can see about rolling back updates from MX updates. What I want to do is rollback to the point the machine was in before the whole install went sideways.
A google search on Slic3r also turns up its github page:

https://github.com/slic3r/Slic3r/wiki/R ... -GNU-Linux

The page indicates that the latest version of Debian that the program was compatible with was Debian 8 (Jessie). MX17 is based on Debian 9 (Stretch) so your compiled Slic3r was very likely not fully compatible with MX17 right from the start. It was probably living on borrowed time trying to run on a Debian 9 system and now the latest round of updates have stopped it running.

But that's my very non-tech view though!
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Richard

#15 Post by Richard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 am

Can the future update of MX include a pre word and offer the option to jump in to making a snapshot prior to updates, updates could download in background while the snap shot does its bit on what was where and when.
An advisory might be a nice touch.

I would never want updates to be done automatically on a production machine; although, so long as you are running from the MX repos only it shouldn't be a problem.

Making a snapshot takes about 20 minutes on my older 64bit laptop, so it's not something I would want to be done automatically. On my even older 32bit netbooks, it takes an hour or so. I usually take a snapshot after adding some new app, changing the configuration or appearance.

colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by colin_b » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:58 am

Richard wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 am
Can the future update of MX include a pre word and offer the option to jump in to making a snapshot prior to updates, updates could download in background while the snap shot does its bit on what was where and when.

I would never want updates to be done automatically on a production machine; although, so long as you are running from the MX repos only it shouldn't be a problem.

Making a snapshot takes about 20 minutes on my older 64bit laptop, so it's not something I would want to be done automatically. On my even older 32bit netbooks, it takes an hour or so. I usually take a snapshot after adding some new app, changing the configuration or appearance.
I have been using Timeshift for just over a week now, I got it from the PM's stable repo. I've got it set to create a restore point at boot up, and I've chosen to have 3 restore points. The initial system backup took about 10 minutes, and subsequent backups have taken a few seconds. It would be an ideal tool to prevent this predicament happening again.

MarkG
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#17 Post by MarkG » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 am

asqwerth wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:46 am
MarkG wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Last update saw Slic3r stop working, despite reinstalling it, it won't run. Cura is a bit on and off and Repetier Host was also acting up and KediKAD....

All these programs functioned fine prior to the updates that followed the update the crippled the laptop....

There does not appear to be any rollback feature to undo an update.

I read a thread t hat talks about rolling back A driver, but nothing I can see about rolling back updates from MX updates. What I want to do is rollback to the point the machine was in before the whole install went sideways.
A google search on Slic3r also turns up its github page:

https://github.com/slic3r/Slic3r/wiki/R ... -GNU-Linux

The page indicates that the latest version of Debian that the program was compatible with was Debian 8 (Jessie). MX17 is based on Debian 9 (Stretch) so your compiled Slic3r was very likely not fully compatible with MX17 right from the start. It was probably living on borrowed time trying to run on a Debian 9 system and now the latest round of updates have stopped it running.

But that's my very non-tech view though!
NO... It did not come from GitHub, it came from `sudo apt-get install slic3r` in the terminal and was downloaded from the repositories AND DID WORK UP UNTIL THE UPDATES that BROK WINE, AUDIO and several other programs that ... CAME WITH MX.

Why is this SO hard for people to get their head around...

I HAVE ONLY INSTALLED VIA THE TERMINAL

Therefore, if this is the case of compatibility issues then that is the problem of the MX DEVS to ENSURE that no incompatible program is installed... 99% of windows programs will tell you immediately if they are or the operating system will tell you immediately if the program is compatible, so why not Linux distros????

Richard

#18 Post by Richard » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:09 am

Perhaps you would like a refund?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... wOsdsLP5Td

MarkG
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#19 Post by MarkG » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 am

colin_b wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:58 am
Richard wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 am

I have been using Timeshift for just over a week now, I got it from the PM's stable repo. I've got it set to create a restore point at boot up, and I've chosen to have 3 restore points. The initial system backup took about 10 minutes, and subsequent backups have taken a few seconds. It would be an ideal tool to prevent this predicament happening again.
I will look in to that, thank you. Although it does not solve my current issue, its nice to know that something exists that may well be the ticket which IMHO should be part and parcel of a distro, its nice to have bundled software, however there is too much emphasis on widgets and twiddly tools that serve no real purpose like Conky, for effs sake, WHY? Doesn't need to be bundled as there is already a clock and calendar... I would rather lose 100% of distros bundled for one that is more practical like office ready or design ready distros that are all the things you need with no more downloading.

Take FDM, CNC and other graphically challenging systems that require as many resource that it can, a slick distro with the important bits, you can't go wrong.

Several years ago I suggested that a certain disto was to improve things by simply allowing a "Virtual build" of a distro for people who want to pick what applications THEY want on the download was instantly met with thte "Thats impossible" brickwall of responses... Lack vison more like, easily done and if you can't think how it can be done,. then sleep on it, it might come to you how this can easily be achieved.

In fact the disto mods said that they couldn't afford the bandwidth... Like really, I fell off the banana boat yesterday. Sure you can, you just need a user to make a user account and the distro that gets downloaded is a basic as it gets install routine that installs the distro and the script it gathers off the users user account tells the installer what packages the user wants and then once downloaded, get installed. You can easily save gigbytes. if your basic distro can be 50MB as I have seen some distros, then if you have a 1.3GB file as a regular distro, you are talking in the region of offloading more than 1 gigs of data, saving money, saving bandwidth and all because the way a distro is installed has been changed to accommodate users with minimal needs. Why do I need to download a 1.3GB distro of which 99% of the application I will never use?

MarkG
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#20 Post by MarkG » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 am

Richard wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:09 am
Perhaps you would like a refund?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... wOsdsLP5Td
I would like a LINUX DISTRO TO THINK FOR ONCE.

I have really lost count of all the distros I have had my mucky paws on and there is a common trait that I recognise as problems creeping in. I have used Linux since 2000, maybe before, and increasingly more over the years that it has become more stable.

What is very evident is the number of times a distro breaks WITHIN 9 months of release is too much of a statistical occurrence to be a coincidence.

Ubuntu -- Several distros over a 5 year period, each one started off working fine, then as updates come in, programs stop working...

Get the picture on that? Either developers are intentionally breaking the programs or developers are ignorant to the fact that their libraries are common or shared libraries and their removal of old libraries in upgrades is to me the main issue here.

So yes...Why is it SO HARD for DEVELOPERS to produce installers that do not break the distro?????

Return to “MX Help”