-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

persistence and remastering

Help for Current Versions of MX
Robert_P
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

persistence and remastering

#1 Post by Robert_P » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:51 pm

I hope to be as clear as I can, so please bear with me. I have a 128gb usb3 stick that I run as a live usb, mx linux 17, with root persistence only, no home perisistence. I found that static root persistence is a bit slow, even on usb3. Anyway, question, does the amount of ram you have in the machine you mainly run your live usb stick, have any bearing on the size of the persistence file you can create? So, If I created a 4gb root persistence file, on my laptop, with 8gb of ram and save it, then tried to run the same live usb stick, on my netbook, with only 1gb of ram, the root persistence file wouldn't load into ram, obviously. So would a smaller root persistence file, let say 2 or 4 gb, be more "universal"? Also if running only root persistence, can I still remaster it effectively? Also, when doing a remaster, does anything in my "Live-usb-storage", folder get affected? Thank you.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: persistence and remastering

#2 Post by skidoo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 am

So, If I created a 4gb root persistence file, on my laptop, with 8gb of ram and save it,
then tried to run the same live usb stick, on my netbook, with only 1gb of ram,
the root persistence file wouldn't load into ram, obviously
Good questions, and the answers aren't obvious.
If the rootfs file currently contains less than 1GB, its content should unpack just fine, posing no problem for the 1GB RAM netbook.

rootfs is a sparse file. If its "size" is, say, 2GB... that's just its max capacity.
Initially, the content unpacked from a recently created rootfs occupies very RAM...
and a remastering operation essentially empties the rootfs, copying all rootfs content back into a new linuxfs file.
does anything in my "Live-usb-storage", folder get affected?
Remastering does not disturb the content of "Live-usb-storage" folder.
Said differently: remastering ignores (does not grab a copy of) the content of "Live-usb-storage" folder.
would a smaller root persistence file, let say 2 or 4 gb, be more "universal"?
Only "more universal" if the usb pendrive will often/regularly be used to boot the netbook.
Otherwise, prior to occasionally using it to boot the netbook, you could just perform a remaster operation, emptying the rootfs (contents merged into rootfs).
with root persistence only, no home perisistence
For the sake of clarity, it's better described as: with root persistence only, no separate home perisistence

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:41 am

The choice of persistence mode (static vs non-static) is not exclusive. Even if you have a large persistence file that can't be loaded into ram, you can always switch back to static.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by fehlix » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:33 am

Well, let me try to answer your questions:
Robert_P wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:51 pm
.. does the amount of ram you have in the machine you
mainly run your live usb stick, have any bearing on the size of the
persistence file you can create?
::= root persistence static : read rootfs from USB stick, RAM size neutral
::= root persistence dynamic: load files from rootfs into RAM, RAM is used for rootfs
=> The amount of RAM used for dynamic persistence is defined by the amount
of data stored within rootfs. E.g. a freshly created empty rootfs does not occupy RAM.
=> For static root persistence no extra RAM is used.
Robert_P wrote:
So, If I created a 4gb root persistence file, on my laptop, with 8gb of
ram and save it, then tried to run the same live usb stick, on my
netbook, with only 1gb of ram, the root persistence file wouldn't load
into ram, obviously.
If only a small fraction of rootfs is used, you can run dynamic
persistence using 4GB rootfs withtin a 1GB system as long as the
amount of used rootfs-files is small enough to get loaded into 1G RAM.
Robert_P wrote:
So would a smaller root persistence file, let say 2 or 4 gb, be more "universal"?
In a certain sense, yes: I'd rather recommend remastering regularly. After a remaster
the rootfs is effectively empty as all system changes have been moved into linuxfs.
Robert_P wrote:
Also if running only root persistence, can I still remaster it effectively?
Well, "remaster" is effectively moving changes stored within persistent rootfs
back into a newly created "remastered" linuxfs. So you question makes not much sense to me.
Robert_P wrote:
Also, when doing a remaster, does anything in my "Live-usb-storage", folder get affected?
No. The introduction of "Live-usb-storage" was just made to have extra
storage space available, which is ignored by the remaster process.
:puppy:

Robert_P
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by Robert_P » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:27 pm

Wow, lots of answers, thank you. I think I'm starting to get it. I have another issue, along the same lines. I had a 32gb stick, same thing, I created a 6gb root persistence file, I actually didn't pay attention, to how large it got. One day, it saved the session, then next time I booted, the rootfs file, wouldn't load on boot, on my machine with 8gb of ram. Is there any way I can salvage it, so I can back up my browser bookmarks, and such? Thanks again. I'll try a remaster, and see how it goes.

Robert_P
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by Robert_P » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Well, I did the remaster, as per the destructions of Mr. Oracle. Ran into something that wasn't covered in the video, I wanted an opinion, please. I chose "General".
Remaster worked. After the remaster, it asked me if I wanted to create a new persistence file, I clicked yes, created another 4gb persistence file, then it asked if I wanted to reboot, I clicked yes. On shut down, it asked me if I wanted to save my session to persistence, I clicked no. Should I have clicked yes? It rebooted ok, but my wallpaper was gone, my browser bookmarks were gone. I installed Qupzilla previously, after the remaster, it was still there, but the icon was missing from the panel. I had to re- setup some things. Is this normal? If not, what should have I done? Thanks.
Last edited by Robert_P on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by tascoast » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:55 pm

The old files will still be there, pending the usual clean up later. So you can fall back to them and someone might point you the right direction for this task.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

Richard

#8 Post by Richard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:00 pm

On shut down, it asked me if I wanted to save my session to persistence, I clicked no. Should I have clicked yes? It rebooted ok, but my wallpaper was gone, my browser bookmarks were gone. I installed Qupzilla previously, after the remaster, it was still there, but the icon was missing from the panel. I had to re- setup some things.
Yes. It gives you the option to not save all the changes, in case you did something that you don't want to save.
I this instance, if you said Yes, then your changes would have been preserved.
MX171 on Lenovo T430-2017: i5-3320M, 8 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119GB SSD
MX171 on AA1(ZG5) & EeePC-1005ha: Dual Core N270, 1 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 150GB HDD
DC9, LibO61, Dbox, PM, FF, mPDFed, CherryT, Vbox. __ Linux Counter #208633

Robert_P
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by Robert_P » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 pm

I figured out why my wallpaper was gone. I have my wallpapers in my "live usb storage" folder, along with apps that I can run from the folder itself, find of like "portable" versions. Next time I remaster, I'll say "yes" to save, and see what happens. I'm slowly getting the hang of this MX Linux, thing. Slowly, being the key word. Fantastic OS, please keep up the great work. Thanks again.

Richard

#10 Post by Richard » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 am

The Save button is handy.
It will save your selections such as TimeZone, etc, and set them for next boot. Don't be fooled that they aren't set when at next boot the Save button says it is Off. Your choices are already made.
MX171 on Lenovo T430-2017: i5-3320M, 8 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119GB SSD
MX171 on AA1(ZG5) & EeePC-1005ha: Dual Core N270, 1 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 150GB HDD
DC9, LibO61, Dbox, PM, FF, mPDFed, CherryT, Vbox. __ Linux Counter #208633

Return to “MX Help”