-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX16 using more memory than MX17

Help for Current Versions of MX
baldyeti
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

MX16 using more memory than MX17

#1 Post by baldyeti » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:16 am

Hello,

I booted and updated an older machine running MX16 today, and noticed it seems to be using more memory than an other system running MX17.1

The MX16 install is on32-bit i-686-pae with nvidia graphics and uses about 550MB (of 3GB) at startup (free -h)
The MX17 install is on 64bit am64 with intel graphics and uses about 350MB (of 8GB) at startup (free -h)

No big deal but i would have expected the 32-bit system with dedicated graphics to need less memory

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX16 using more memory than MX17

#2 Post by Stevo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Well, there are tools on the command line that'll tell you what the memory hogs are, but the proprietary driver on MX 16 would be one of the usual suspects.

baldyeti
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by baldyeti » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:56 pm

How can i see how much memory the proprietary driver is eating ?
I have tried "rrmod nvidia" then retstarted lightdm (and verified nouveau was used instead) but the memory consumption was about the same.
Are you saying that the proprietary driver is known to need more memory than on newer versions/kernels ?
Has this difference been noticed before and not unusual when comparing nvidia/intel ?

Again, mostly curious as the system remains perfectly usable, but it is unfortunate that the PC with less available memory is the one where the OS uses more of it.

PS: I've tried on another system with a feeble intel G31 graphics controller, and with MX16-pae the memory used is also 520+MB (thus barely less than the one with an nvidia card & driver)

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:20 pm

No, I don't know that the Nvidia driver would eat more RAM, just that it is one of the obvious differences between the two installs. However, I didn't see the PAE version eating that much memory when I ran it in Virtual Box...I just started it up, and it is using 342 MB without any apps open.

You can run the task manager (search for "task" in the menu) and click on the "RSS" heading to see which processes are using the most memory. In my Vbox version, the top one is thunar daemon at about 52 MB, followed closely by the mx apt-notifier at just under 50 MB.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Stevo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Hmmm--there seems to be some differences between what "free -h" reports versus what other apps report. I rebooted the Vbox version, and the system monitor widget on the taskbar is reporting 204 MB used, yet "free -h" does report about 550 MB, like yours does. Task Manager reports the same lower amount that the system monitor does...

baldyeti
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by baldyeti » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks for checking, Stevo. I am not sure what tool to trust indeed.

On the MX17/64-bits system, free-h and the memory widget mostly agree (350 MB straight after login, 750 with seamonkey open)
On the MX16/32-bits system, free-h and the memory widget wildly disagree (530 MB straight after login vs 165 for the widget, 750 with firefox open but only 275 according to widget)

go figure. Sorry for the noise.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 pm

You could also see what top, htop, and Conky reports. I think they'll go for the lower value, which I think is the correct one. Maybe the older "free" is including buffers or something that the newer version does not by default.

Return to “MX Help”