-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Noob suggestions for sizes of rootfs and homefs?

Help for Current Versions of MX
sricha1217
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Noob suggestions for sizes of rootfs and homefs?

#1 Post by sricha1217 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 am

Hello all, and thanks to you experienced folk for tolerating this question again. I’m making a “persist static”, live USB install on a 16GB usb , but I’m still not unclear on how to know what size to answer for the rootfs and homefs questions.
When complete, I plan to use the “portable computer” for python programming, so I may install large ides and libraries, but the size of my own files should be very small by comparison.
Given that usage type, should I be making rootfs and homefs as large as will fit on the usb, or as small as the smallest available options?
And generally: are the two directories separate from each other, or does one nest within the other? Are they the directories in which I will be putting applications & data, or are they the “behind the scenes” directories that I won’t interact with as long as I give them enough room to do their thing?
Thanks again!

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Noob suggestions for sizes of rootfs and homefs?

#2 Post by fehlix » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 am

sricha1217 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 am
I’m making a “persist static”, live USB install on a 16GB usb , but I’m still not unclear on how to know what size to answer for the rootfs and homefs questions.
Welcome to the forum.
Just use the proposed default size for both rootfs and homefs.
You can later resize and/ remaster.
Please consider to lookup the wiki:
MX Help Remaster
and the video:
MX Linux 17: Make a live-USB with Persistence
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

oops
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by oops » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:34 am

sricha1217 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 am
..I’m making a “persist static”, live USB install on a 16GB usb , but I’m still not unclear on how to know what size to answer for the rootfs and homefs questions....
Welcome too
I usually resize after my Antix/MX17 frugal install, rootfs and homefs to have ~50% of free size space. And the process is usually fast.
$ inxi -Fxxxz : System: Host:XEON ... Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by fehlix » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Another nice introduction into persistence you will find whithin antiX-FAQ Persistence Options,
as MX Linux is sharing the same persistence technology with it's sister distribution antiX Linux .

sricha1217
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by sricha1217 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:19 am

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. Now that I know my choices can be altered later without requiring a complete re-install, I’m happy to accept the defaults to get started.
So nice to be working with such a responsive OS.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by fehlix » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:28 am

sricha1217 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:19 am
..Now that I know my choices can be altered later without requiring a complete re-install, I’m happy to accept the defaults to get started.
Or just start with something like rootfs 2 GB amd homefs 2 GB, which gives you enough free space on your
16GB USB-stick for resizing later, as during resize of either homefs or rootfs, the system's keeps the old
files homefs.old and rootfs.old as a fallback. If everything is OK after reboot you might decide to delete the old files using remaster GUI, in order to gain some space back on your stick.
:puppy:

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 am

For home think how much data you'll need to save, that's pretty much your space and your decision 1GB might be enough, root has to account for package updates and new packages you install. 2GB should probably be fine -- again depending on what you want to install.

sricha1217
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by sricha1217 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:04 am

I’m a little unclear as to what is considered “data” in this context. For example, if I write a program to act on a csv file, I consider the csv file as data, and my program as the application. But from the perspective of the compiler, IT (the compiler) is the application, and my program is the “data” file that it imports and works on to generate its compiled output. But from the standpoint of the operating system, IT is the application, and all other files (settings files, drivers, and applications like the compiler) are the “data” that it manages, keeps track of, refers to, and sometimes allows to run under close supervision.

Could I say that everything is “data” unless it’s removal would cause the operating system to crash?

Or should I say that anything that isn’t installed by the package manager is data?

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by anticapitalista » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:43 am

sricha1217 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:04 am
I’m a little unclear as to what is considered “data” in this context. For example, if I write a program to act on a csv file, I consider the csv file as data, and my program as the application. But from the perspective of the compiler, IT (the compiler) is the application, and my program is the “data” file that it imports and works on to generate its compiled output. But from the standpoint of the operating system, IT is the application, and all other files (settings files, drivers, and applications like the compiler) are the “data” that it manages, keeps track of, refers to, and sometimes allows to run under close supervision.

Could I say that everything is “data” unless it’s removal would cause the operating system to crash?

Or should I say that anything that isn’t installed by the package manager is data?
I would say this: anything that isn’t installed by the package manager is data - and it is almost certainly put in your home/user directory.

rootfs is for apps eg install supertuxkart
homefs is for personal changes made that are typically configured in /home eg changing default background and also for any 'data' e.g. a document.

As for size, I run antiX frugal with a 2Gb rootfs and 500MB homefs. I also remaster regularly. Since MX is much bigger, perhaps double the sizes and also remaster regularly.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

sricha1217
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by sricha1217 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Return to “MX Help”