-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

xfwm4 - grey background

Help for Current Versions of MX
redsparro
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

xfwm4 - grey background

#1 Post by redsparro » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:50 am

So i recently enabled compositing as i reverted from the intel driver to modesetting due to a bug that would hang my system at shutdown. I've noticed slightly better performance from xfwm4 than compton on my system, however there is this annoying issue when using xfwm4 whereby after login, as the desktop loads, the background flahes grey. I've seen it mentioned that there was a fix for this, MONITOR_ROOT_PIXMAP, a few years back. And i've also seen this issue referenced in the following topic from a couple of years ago

viewtopic.php?t=39142

My take from that topic would be that this was fixed at one point? Can anybody confirm that this "bug" is still present and not just unique to my system, and if so, what happened to the purported fix for this?

Richard

Re: xfwm4 - grey background

#2 Post by Richard » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:36 am

I began seeing this different gray screen after I turned on Compton.
Compton has improved appearance so much in other ways,
that I suppose I'll just get used to it. :(
MX171: Lenovo T430-2017: i5-3320M, 8 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119 GB SSD
MX171: AA1(ZG5)/EeePC-1005HA: DualCoreN270, 1 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 150 GB HDD
DC9, LibO610, Dbox, PM, FF, mPDFed, CherryT, Vbox. ____ Linux Counter #288562

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 am

redsparro wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:50 am
So i recently enabled compositing as i reverted from the intel driver to modesetting due to a bug that would hang my system at shutdown. I've noticed slightly better performance from xfwm4 than compton on my system, however there is this annoying issue when using xfwm4 whereby after login, as the desktop loads, the background flahes grey. I've seen it mentioned that there was a fix for this, MONITOR_ROOT_PIXMAP, a few years back. And i've also seen this issue referenced in the following topic from a couple of years ago

viewtopic.php?t=39142

My take from that topic would be that this was fixed at one point? Can anybody confirm that this "bug" is still present and not just unique to my system, and if so, what happened to the purported fix for this?
the package references was never deployed into the main repo to my knowledge.

the Xfce compositor does still have that issue with providing grey backdrop while the desktop loads rather than keeping the lightdm wallpaper background in place.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

redsparro
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by redsparro » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:57 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 am
the package references was never deployed into the main repo to my knowledge.

the Xfce compositor does still have that issue with providing grey backdrop while the desktop loads rather than keeping the lightdm wallpaper background in place.
Thank you for confirming that. I can live with the small visual glitch, was just seeking some clarification in light of that topic i referenced.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Stevo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 pm

I'll see if I can reproduce that fix for our own rebuild of xfwm4, then. Right now we're still using Debian's stock version in 17.

The fix was applied for the xfwm4 in the main MX 15/16 repo, we went with Stetch's flashing version up to now. Correcting that oversight now...

Here, you can install the deb early from here if you want: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NHQJr ... SDFw7valVd

redsparro
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by redsparro » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:17 am

Stevo wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 pm
I'll see if I can reproduce that fix for our own rebuild of xfwm4, then. Right now we're still using Debian's stock version in 17.

The fix was applied for the xfwm4 in the main MX 15/16 repo, we went with Stetch's flashing version up to now. Correcting that oversight now...

Here, you can install the deb early from here if you want: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NHQJr ... SDFw7valVd
Thank you very much Stevo, just applied the update this morning. :happy:

Richard

#7 Post by Richard » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:29 am

Applied the update to xfwm on 64bit.
No gray flash on startup.
Brief gray flash on restart.
Not a problem.
Thanks for all the apps.
MX171: Lenovo T430-2017: i5-3320M, 8 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119 GB SSD
MX171: AA1(ZG5)/EeePC-1005HA: DualCoreN270, 1 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 150 GB HDD
DC9, LibO610, Dbox, PM, FF, mPDFed, CherryT, Vbox. ____ Linux Counter #288562

penguin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

xfwm4 - grey background /NO any bug from last update.[SOLVED]

#8 Post by penguin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:23 am

Upsss. Yesterday I noticed that xfwm4 was updated on my MX Linux 64 bit. One hour before some other updates.

But on both Compton or XFCE Compositor when ALT Key is clicked .... XCFE kills user season and brings up User/Pass dialog of lightdm. Also as I noticed, after this MX Linux deactivate XFCE Compositor and reactivate Compton. I can confirm that this does not happen on my MX Linux 32 machine . I do not want to apply xfwm4 update on this machine, to verify that problem comes from update, but if needed I can do. Seems that last patch of xfwm4 made a big mess !

Some one else can confirm?
++++++++++++++++
[SOLVED]
Sorry Guys. Really Sorry. False Alarm.

I was aware that I have reconfigured my keyboard to have a shortcut that immediately closes user session as follow:
CTRL+ALT+DEL > pkill -9 -u penguin
. Instead of penguin you can put your user name

Having two laptops and different linux distros installed I was not very sure that I have applied this key combination ,also on my MX Linux 64 bit.Before posting on forum for ''this BUG'', I checked ,but I did not notice this key combination on Settings>Keyboard,or maybe I have been not vigilant enough.I was aware that this could be reason. I xxxxxxx down my laptop and I have gone out for some hours. Now that go back to check again I found that CTR+ALT+DEL was changed on ALT+L. Hemmmm.I do not know why. So, i reverted as needed.
Another time.Sorry guys and thank you for your time.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Last edited by penguin on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gerson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by Gerson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:55 am

My system works perfectly on an HP Pavilion X360 4GB RAM notebook, apply the xfwm4-grey-flash-fix patch only to this xfwm4-dbgsym_4.12.4-2~mx17+1_amd64.deb file and I no longer see the gray background but the background lock screen before the desktop background appears.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

Return to “MX Help”