-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Total beginner looking for LiveCD instructions

Help for Current Versions of MX
sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Total beginner looking for LiveCD instructions

#31 Post by sunrat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:06 pm

There is no "Key". It probably should read
shutdown with - hold Alt-SysReq while pressing slowly REISUB to reboot or REISUO to shut down

If Conky shows the wrong time it's most likely your computer time is set wrong. Search for how to set the correct time.

Richard

#32 Post by Richard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 am

Many thanks for the tips! I have written them down and will try it should the problem arise again. One question....I don't see any button on the keyboard marked 'Key'...do you mean the one between the 'Ctrl' and 'Alt'?

The SysReq key is sometimes labeled PrtScr (Print Screen), SysReq or some variation.
MX17.1____: T430-2017, 8 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, 119 SSD
antiX-/MX-171: AA1/Eee, 1 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 149 HDD
DC9, LibO605, Dropbox, FF61, FFesr, mPDFed, Py3, CherryT, Vbox
linux counter #288562

devva231
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#33 Post by devva231 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:39 pm

tascoast wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:55 pm
Remember that a Live CD only loads MX in a generic session (root/demo) with the system updated to the time it was created.

You could run Synaptic to update everything, install codecs via MX tools, use MX Time Settings etc. Perhaps enable/add an add blocker to Firefox....although you need to repeat each time you boot from CD.

Now you can boot live, I recommend the Live USB option where such changes and updates remain. If you read up on enabling persistence and watch the corresponding video you should be ready to do this quite soon.

This will allow you to run MX with the latest updates and personal changes you make, preserved between sessions in the user storage of a Live USB when persistence is enabled and configured (the user file systems being created first).

This would resolve many issues you describe above. I used a Live USB for several months this way as my main system. I also keep a Live USB on hand as a backup :happy:
Okay, well like I said none of that is a big problem. Would of liked to of been able to make those changes without sacrificing the internet connection, but I can live without it. No firewall is a small concern, but my router has NAT & SPI enabled, so I guess that is enough for basic stuff. For online shopping/banking, I can try one of my security-based LiveCDs (IprediaOS, Pollipix, NetSecL, etc). Last night I spent six hours using MX Linux, exploring the web, watching online videos, and so on. It's clear to me this is a much better choice to teach myself Linux than Puppy was. I couldn't deal with more than an hour of Puppy Linux.

I'm not a fan of flash drives. Wouldn't care to fool with the USB option myself. I do have a tech guy on retainer to come by once a month, and sure it would be no problem for him to do, but at $100 for an hour, I have other chores for him. Besides, if making those few changes killed Firefox using a LiveCD, I don't see how it would be any different on a flash drive. Persistence is not the issue so far as I can tell. I don't have a problem making those changes each time I use the LiveCD. The problem is making those changes kills my internet connection, and renders Firefox DOA. So my choices are either make a few changes and work offline, or forget doing any changes and keep Firefox functional. No choice really. All I require from an OS is to get online easy, get to any site I want without the CA Nazis blockading me with their 5 kinds of certificate errors, & watch online videos without any Flash/H.264 problems. When I get my printers ready to go, that will be my final requirement. So far, using MX Linux as LiveCD has met all requirements, and time will time whether it can handle my monochrome laser and color inkjet.

Fornhamfred
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#34 Post by Fornhamfred » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:25 am

devva231 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:39 pm
tascoast wrote:
Remember that a Live CD only loads MX in a generic session (root/demo) with the system updated to the time it was created.

You could run Synaptic to update everything, install codecs via MX tools, use MX Time Settings etc. Perhaps enable/add an add blocker to Firefox....although you need to repeat each time you boot from CD.

Now you can boot live, I recommend the Live USB option where such changes and updates remain. If you read up on enabling persistence and watch the corresponding video you should be ready to do this quite soon.

This will allow you to run MX with the latest updates and personal changes you make, preserved between sessions in the user storage of a Live USB when persistence is enabled and configured (the user file systems being created first).

This would resolve many issues you describe above. I used a Live USB for several months this way as my main system. I also keep a Live USB on hand as a backup :happy:
Okay, well like I said none of that is a big problem. Would of liked to of been able to make those changes without sacrificing the internet connection, but I can live without it. No firewall is a small concern, but my router has NAT & SPI enabled, so I guess that is enough for basic stuff. For online shopping/banking, I can try one of my security-based LiveCDs (IprediaOS, Pollipix, NetSecL, etc). Last night I spent six hours using MX Linux, exploring the web, watching online videos, and so on. It's clear to me this is a much better choice to teach myself Linux than Puppy was. I couldn't deal with more than an hour of Puppy Linux.

I'm not a fan of flash drives. Wouldn't care to fool with the USB option myself. I do have a tech guy on retainer to come by once a month, and sure it would be no problem for him to do, but at $100 for an hour, I have other chores for him. Besides, if making those few changes killed Firefox using a LiveCD, I don't see how it would be any different on a flash drive. Persistence is not the issue so far as I can tell. I don't have a problem making those changes each time I use the LiveCD. The problem is making those changes kills my internet connection, and renders Firefox DOA. So my choices are either make a few changes and work offline, or forget doing any changes and keep Firefox functional. No choice really. All I require from an OS is to get online easy, get to any site I want without the CA Nazis blockading me with their 5 kinds of certificate errors, & watch online videos without any Flash/H.264 problems. When I get my printers ready to go, that will be my final requirement. So far, using MX Linux as LiveCD has met all requirements, and time will time whether it can handle my monochrome laser and color inkjet.
With regard to printing, it would probably help if you could let us have the details of your printers in advance. Some manufacturers are very Linux friendly and others?

devva231
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#35 Post by devva231 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:57 pm

Fornhamfred wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:25 am
devva231 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:39 pm
tascoast wrote:

With regard to printing, it would probably help if you could let us have the details of your printers in advance. Some manufacturers are very Linux friendly and others?
Last night I tried making the same changes (via a process of elimination) just to see if I could find the 'sticking point'. First I turned on the MX firewall, then clicked on Firefox. No problem. Turned off Firefox. Switched the gray look to the twilight lake scene, and clicked on Firefox. No problem. Then I tried to set to correct time (three hours earlier and AM to PM), that's when Firefox threw a hissy fit, and refused to connect to the server. So I can have the firewall going, and I can get the nice background, but the clock is a bust. Not a problem....I just turned off the Conky. A major problem is that the video glitch happened again. I was watching 'The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heros' on ww5.cartooncrazy.net, and halfway through the screen froze, and the last three words kept repeating like an old stuck LP record. None of the buttons on the control strip at the bottom of the video were clickable. It was full screen, so I had no access to left vertical strip icons on MX. The previous advice did not work: Ctrl+Alt+Esc and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace did nothing. Eject button on my DVD burner and on/off button on my PC did nothing. Once again I had to use the gizmo in back to cut the power, and I cannot keep doing that. I really need to solve this problem, and welcome any advice.

Currently I have Brother HL-L6200DW and Canon Pixma TS9020. The latter is likely going to the recyclers, as it turns out not to have drivers for XP Pro (printers must support both Linux and XP Pro). Still looking for an inkjet that does this, has above average photo/graphics quality, and will take a CISS. I'll have my tech guy give the Canon a try, but if he cannot get it to work with XP Pro, its gone.

fehlix
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#36 Post by fehlix » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Re time and timezone: You appear to have your internal computer clock in localtime, which is the default for XP.
Better to tell MX Linux when you start by adding hwclock=local bootparamter after the "quiet"-bootparamter
to avoid manual timeshift adjustments.
In addition choose the proper timzone from the menu pressing F2 or add manually e.g. tz=America/New_York
For setup you brother printer see this post
When you run long video sessions with firefox in live mode you need to consider that those videos are kept for a while in cach-memory and fill up a lot of space. As the whole live session is running within RAM, you shall watch you available space before the system get stuck. You might consider to install and use a browser which requires less resources.

HessenZone
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#37 Post by HessenZone » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:20 am

devva231 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:59 am
I am an XP Pro user looking to teach myself Linux, using MX Linux as a LiveCD. I bought one from OSDisc.com, so I didn't have to deal with downloading, burning, checksum, making it bootable, and all that. I have never used Linux before, so no clue how to deal with a LiveCD, other than stick it in the DVD tray (I had the computer shop set my PC to boot first from CD/DVD), then what? I guess I'm hoping for some very basic info on how to use MX Linux as a LiveCD, how to get it up and running , connected to the internet, printers, etc., so I can begin to familiarize myself with the OS. Probably even more important is how to quit the session at the end of the day, without harming my XP Pro...yes, I'm a bit paranoid about keeping it safe.
As for hardware, my used PC is a Dell Optiplex 755, Intel Core2 Duo, CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz. System info says its 2.98GB RAM, but I had the computer shop install 8 GB. Also PAE is mentioned. The MX Linux 17.1 LiveCD I got is 64bit.
Using a live boot CD or stick is not going to harm anything. It's not even going to touch aynthing related to your drive or partition with Windows on it. The only possible way for you to harm or ruin anything from your windows installation, is by physically accessing your windows files with the Thunar File Manager (similar to Windows Explorer), followed then by actively moving, renaming, or deleting files on that Windows drive.

On the other hand, if you're familiar with your Windows setup, then you can feel free to utilize your own previously created files within Windows. For example, Windows has a "user" folder that belongs to you. Within that folder there should be additional sub-folders such as Musik, Documents, Downloads, etc. Once you mount the Windows drive or partition, you should be able to locate your own files, meaning files that you created in Windows, followed by clicking on those files in order to access them with the Thunar File Manager of MX Linux.

In other words, if you had previously created Word, Excel, Image, Music, or Video files with XP, then you should be able to click on those files from within the Thunar file manager, in order to view and possibly even alter those files. Since those would be your personally created files - files that have absolutely nothing to do with the Windows Operating System in and of itself - you wouldn't be damaging anything by using those files while booted into MX Linux. Only when you mess around with the actual files of your Windows Operating System, do you then run into the possibility of messing something up. I've used Windows professionally for over 20 years, what I'm telling you here is absolutely true. Nothing to worry about as far as Windows is concerned.
(as long as you don't *MOVE* files from Windows to MX Linux while you're still utilizing the live boot disk)

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

devva231
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#38 Post by devva231 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 pm

fehlix wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:46 pm
Re time and timezone: You appear to have your internal computer clock in localtime, which is the default for XP.
Better to tell MX Linux when you start by adding hwclock=local bootparamter after the "quiet"-bootparamter
to avoid manual timeshift adjustments.
In addition choose the proper timzone from the menu pressing F2 or add manually e.g. tz=America/New_York
For setup you brother printer see this post
When you run long video sessions with firefox in live mode you need to consider that those videos are kept for a while in cach-memory and fill up a lot of space. As the whole live session is running within RAM, you shall watch you available space before the system get stuck. You might consider to install and use a browser which requires less resources.
Thanks for the info. I already solved the time/timezone issue by just turning off the Conky (out of sight, out of mind). MX Linux appears to work fine without the accurate time (my XP Pro would pitch a fit if the clock was off by three hours), so it's no longer a problem. The CLI stuff I intend to avoid. XP Pro has spoiled me. I'm strictly a GUI guy. The printer setup I will likely leave to my tech guy.
Thanks so much for solving my video issue. Any idea how long of a video session is to long for firefox? Any way to purge the cache memory? Any workarounds? I don't like firefox, but I'll admit it seems to be working with both flash and H.264, so would like to stick with it for now....otherwise I'd have to figure out how to use Synaptic, configure the browser, maybe have to do something to get the new browser to work with both flash and H.264...and do all that for every session.

devva231
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#39 Post by devva231 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:12 pm

HessenZone wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:20 am
devva231 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:59 am
I am an XP Pro user looking to teach myself Linux, using MX Linux as a LiveCD. I bought one from OSDisc.com, so I didn't have to deal with downloading, burning, checksum, making it bootable, and all that. I have never used Linux before, so no clue how to deal with a LiveCD, other than stick it in the DVD tray (I had the computer shop set my PC to boot first from CD/DVD), then what? I guess I'm hoping for some very basic info on how to use MX Linux as a LiveCD, how to get it up and running , connected to the internet, printers, etc., so I can begin to familiarize myself with the OS. Probably even more important is how to quit the session at the end of the day, without harming my XP Pro...yes, I'm a bit paranoid about keeping it safe.
As for hardware, my used PC is a Dell Optiplex 755, Intel Core2 Duo, CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz. System info says its 2.98GB RAM, but I had the computer shop install 8 GB. Also PAE is mentioned. The MX Linux 17.1 LiveCD I got is 64bit.
Using a live boot CD or stick is not going to harm anything. It's not even going to touch aynthing related to your drive or partition with Windows on it. The only possible way for you to harm or ruin anything from your windows installation, is by physically accessing your windows files with the Thunar File Manager (similar to Windows Explorer), followed then by actively moving, renaming, or deleting files on that Windows drive.

On the other hand, if you're familiar with your Windows setup, then you can feel free to utilize your own previously created files within Windows. For example, Windows has a "user" folder that belongs to you. Within that folder there should be additional sub-folders such as Musik, Documents, Downloads, etc. Once you mount the Windows drive or partition, you should be able to locate your own files, meaning files that you created in Windows, followed by clicking on those files in order to access them with the Thunar File Manager of MX Linux.

In other words, if you had previously created Word, Excel, Image, Music, or Video files with XP, then you should be able to click on those files from within the Thunar file manager, in order to view and possibly even alter those files. Since those would be your personally created files - files that have absolutely nothing to do with the Windows Operating System in and of itself - you wouldn't be damaging anything by using those files while booted into MX Linux. Only when you mess around with the actual files of your Windows Operating System, do you then run into the possibility of messing something up. I've used Windows professionally for over 20 years, what I'm telling you here is absolutely true. Nothing to worry about as far as Windows is concerned.
(as long as you don't *MOVE* files from Windows to MX Linux while you're still utilizing the live boot disk)
Thanks for your reply to my post. I'm not big on the idea of 'overlap' , which is why I had the computer shop install a secondary HDD (on a mobile-rack) for a Linux install. I can't think of any reason to mix Linux stuff with XP stuff, now that I learned GIMP is installable on XP, so using Thunar to access WE files is likely never going to happen. For me, keeping keeping XP and Linux as far separate as possible is the way to go. Especially now, when I know little about Linux, and a little knowledge is usually a dangerous thing.
For now my major concern is the video issue...having to pull the plug is definitely not good for the hardware, and probably not for XP. Until I can solve this, I'll only be using XP to watch videos. Problem here is that I have only been able to get flash and H.264 working on my chrome/chromium browsers which have been taken over by the CA nazis, via their crappy embedded certificates store that effectively blockades me from over half of the Internet-TV freesites, and those sites they deign allow me to reach are those with the worst selection. I'm actively looking to hire a coder to circumvent them, but until then, I was hoping Linux could temporarily solve the problem, and I was right. MX Linux gets me to each and every site the CA censors have blacklisted, but it keeps freezing up when playing videos, so I need to find a way around this.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#40 Post by sunrat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:20 pm

I hope you don't connect to the internet with XP. It's way past it's use-by date and has no security support and many security holes. It is a botnet's dream come true.

Return to “MX Help”