-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Total beginner looking for LiveCD instructions

Help for Current Versions of MX
tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Total beginner looking for LiveCD instructions

#21 Post by tascoast » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 am

What asqwerth said, other than I would suggest a Live USB with Persistence, rather than a frugal install, as a possible next step from a simple live session. :happy:
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

devva231
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#22 Post by devva231 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:36 am

duane wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:49 pm
Or a 64 bit OS running on a 32 bit computer.
Did you get the right install media for that computer?
Yes, if you note the last sentence of my original post "The MX Linux 17.1 LiveCD I got is 64bit.", I didn't make that mistake.

devva231
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#23 Post by devva231 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:44 am

asqwerth wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:19 am
devva231 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:02 am

Okay so I'll go over this, and if I am off the mark anywhere, maybe you can correct me. I keep my PC completely turned off when not in use, so the session starts with me reaching behind the PC, and flipping the switch between the PC cord and my TrippLite LS606M (I'm using it instead of a UPS), which gives the PC power, and the lights on it flicker, then turn off. I assume at this point I open the DVD tray, put in the Linux CD, close it, then push the PC 'on' button. ...
Yes, you should insert the CD in the tray before turning the PC on, if possible. Because you want the PC's BIOS to detect the CD and start booting from that instead of from your hard drive.
...Since I had the computer shop set the boot order to try CD/DVD first, I assume this is all that is needed to boot MX Linux. From looking at some Youtube videos, it appears I have to do the usual setup (language, time, password, etc.)...
Yes. I think the CD will first boot into the main boot menu of MX where you will have the main bootup options in the main window (the first one will just do the bootup into MX in US-English language and other default options). Look out for additional options under the Function keys.
..., and I assume this will be necessary each time I begin a LiveCD session.
Yes, every time you boot live from the CD, you'll have to set up again because the CD is a read-only medium so you can't write on it or change it (note: there is something called a frugal-install, but one step at a time)

Once you choose the boot option you want, say you select the standard boot option from the boot menu window, be patient as booting up from a live CD takes longer than booting from a live USB stick, because reading data from the CD is slower.
... At this point I'm thinking I can begin exploring the OS? This point is where all the Youtube videos move onto installing, so I'm sketchy what happens next. Also not clear how to get to the 'shut down' or the Whisker Menu. I'll try watching the videos again, but they move so fast its hard to see what they're clicking on.
Yes, explore all you want until you get comfy with the system. You don't have to install if you don't want to. Turn off when you're done playing with the liveCD. Reboot it when you want to use it again.

You'll lose your settings and setup for various programs, but hey, that may be what finally pushes you to the next step, namely either an install onto your hard drive or making a frugal install with the live CD.

As for how to get to the shutdown, click on the start button at the bottom left corner of the screen (to get the whisker menu). At the top right corner of the whisker menu is the power-button icon for the shut down/logout/reboot options.
Okay, that should be enough to get me started. Thanks! I am really curious though about this "frugal install with the live CD". Sounds like something I should research. Got any links to info on this that an absolute beginner might comprehend (what is it, how to do it, etc.)?

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#24 Post by tascoast » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:57 am

viewtopic.php?f=101&t=44670&hilit=fruga ... eo#p441791

...shows the youtube link to the video.

If you read over the thread itself you might gain some additional insights or ideas.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

devva231
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#25 Post by devva231 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:20 am

tascoast wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:57 am
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=44670&hilit=fruga ... eo#p441791

...shows the youtube link to the video.

If you read over the thread itself you might gain some additional insights or ideas.
Thanks for the link. The Youtube video looks a little more complex than I would be comfortable with. I'll just stick with the original plan to use LiveCD to teach myself Linux, then take each distro for a test drive til I find one I like the best, and install the 'pick of the litter' onto my secondary HDD.

Richard

#26 Post by Richard » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:54 am

Just a note on the speed of videos.
When the focus, meaning you have clicked in the video window,
you may pause the video by pressing the space bar. Press again to restart.
MX171: Lenovo T430: Intel DualCore i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 4.18.7-antix.1-amd64-smp, 119GB SSD
MX171: AA1/EeePC: DualCore N270, 1GB RAM, 4.9.126-antix.1-686-smp-pae, 150GB HDD
DoubleCmd84, LibO61, Dropbox, PaleMoon, CherryTree, Vbox. LinuxCounter #208633

devva231
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#27 Post by devva231 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:49 am

Okay so I have managed to get the LiveCD to work, read the users manual, and have gotten onto the internet. Had a few glitches with the latter. First was I got on a site that had some sort of hidden popunder/popover or whatever. When I hit the 'back' button, I was taken to a hostage site that disabled the 'back' button and everything else, but was able to escape by typing in www.google.com in the address bar, but by doing that I lost all the links I had followed to the original site, and had to start over. That used to happen a lot on my XP Pro until I did something to circumvent it, not sure what...maybe someone can suggest how to deal with this on MX Linux? Second glitch happened on an Internet-TV freesite. Maybe 'cartooncrazy' or one of the many 'putlocker' URLs. I was watching fullscreen, hit the stop button to use the bathroom, came back, hit the stop button to continue the video, and nothing happened. Mouse worked, cursor worked, but none of the buttons on the videos' bottom control strip worked. Tried the 'Esc' keyboard button and 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' combo (works on my XP Pro), but nothing. Got desperate and tried the eject button on my DVD burner (nothing), and the off button on my PC (also disabled). After about 15 minutes of procrastination and cussing, I cut the power to the PC, which did work. I have a on/off switch gizmo which the PC is plugged into, and it is plugged into my TrippLite LS606M. Anyway, I am aware that essentially pulling the plug on a PC without first doing the 'LogOff' or 'TurnOffComputer' procedure is bad for the OS, and probably worse for the hardware, so I'd like some suggestions on a better way to deal with this, should it ever happen again.

By the way, despite the couple glitches, I'm liking this a lot. So far Linux has been nowhere near as hard to deal with as I've been constantly told over the years, or at least MX Linux is not that hard.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#28 Post by fehlix » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:23 pm

devva231 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:49 am
...I am aware that essentially pulling the plug on a PC without first doing the 'LogOff' or 'TurnOffComputer' procedure is bad for the OS, and probably worse for the hardware, so I'd like some suggestions on a better way to deal with this, should it ever happen again.
You might have alook int the manual at '4.7.5 Kill runaway programs', look for REISUB, have an alternaive safer shutdown option than pull the power-plug.
Here a sequence I would try in that order if something is not responsive and blocks the system somehow:
-> kill the window/process : start xkill Ctrl+Alt+Esc ( or by e.g. Alt+F2 type xkill) and kill the dead window
-> kill the blocking/hanging process using taskmanager
-> kill the session Ctrl+Alt+BACK, would bring you to the login screen
-> shutdown from console Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login into console session and type "sudo halt -p"
-> shutdown with Alt-SysReq-Key: press slowly REISUB to reboot or REISUO to shut down
:happybday:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

devva231
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#29 Post by devva231 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:26 pm

fehlix wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:23 pm
devva231 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:49 am
...I am aware that essentially pulling the plug on a PC without first doing the 'LogOff' or 'TurnOffComputer' procedure is bad for the OS, and probably worse for the hardware, so I'd like some suggestions on a better way to deal with this, should it ever happen again.
You might have alook int the manual at '4.7.5 Kill runaway programs', look for REISUB, have an alternaive safer shutdown option than pull the power-plug.
Here a sequence I would try in that order if something is not responsive and blocks the system somehow:
-> kill the window/process : start xkill Ctrl+Alt+Esc ( or by e.g. Alt+F2 type xkill) and kill the dead window
-> kill the blocking/hanging process using taskmanager
-> kill the session Ctrl+Alt+BACK, would bring you to the login screen
-> shutdown from console Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login into console session and type "sudo halt -p"
-> shutdown with Alt-SysReq-Key: press slowly REISUB to reboot or REISUO to shut down
:happybday:
Many thanks for the tips! I have written them down and will try it should the problem arise again. One question....I don't see any button on the keyboard marked 'Key'...do you mean the one between the 'Ctrl' and 'Alt'?
I have been playing around with the configuration today, and turned on the firewall, changed the look from the drab gray to the twilight lake scene, changed the Conky to MX-Elementary_sys, and corrected the timeclock (it was three hours ahead, plus on AM). Unfortunately, I then found that Firefox refused to connect to the internet. None of this is a dealbreaker. I can live with no firewall, a drab gray look, and I guess turning off the Conky would deal with the ugly one, and put the inaccurate time out of sight....but I would like to fix this if possible. Any ideas?

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#30 Post by tascoast » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Remember that a Live CD only loads MX in a generic session (root/demo) with the system updated to the time it was created.

You could run Synaptic to update everything, install codecs via MX tools, use MX Time Settings etc. Perhaps enable/add an add blocker to Firefox....although you need to repeat each time you boot from CD.

Now you can boot live, I recommend the Live USB option where such changes and updates remain. If you read up on enabling persistence and watch the corresponding video you should be ready to do this quite soon.

This will allow you to run MX with the latest updates and personal changes you make, preserved between sessions in the user storage of a Live USB when persistence is enabled and configured (the user file systems being created first).

This would resolve many issues you describe above. I used a Live USB for several months this way as my main system. I also keep a Live USB on hand as a backup :happy:

Return to “MX Help”