-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Resolution in virtual console

Help for Current Versions of MX
mbooyzen
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Resolution in virtual console

#11 Post by mbooyzen » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Ok thanks skidoo, i think you have the right idea but...
i have no idea how to do what you're saying.... :confused:
it seems that the resolution is right and maybe the font size too big.
tried conwidth=300 makes no difference
my current /etc/default/console-setup

Code: Select all

"ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"

CHARMAP="UTF-8"               #unchanged

CODESET="guess"                 #unchanged
FONTFACE="TerminusBold"    #unchanged
FONTSIZE="8x16"                 #changed to no effect

VIDEOMODE="1920x1200"     #changed to no effect
and "Using sudo console-width-select" I'm not sure what to do with this as "console-width-select" gives me command not found

My screen definitely gets a input of 1920x1200 in the console but i have a 80 character span across the screen.
So i only need that console-width thing explained to me(or rather to an idiot, so we know I'll understand)..

thanks again for all your time

EDIT: added

SCREEN_WIDTH=200
SCREEN_HEIGHT=80
to /etc/default/console-setup with no luck
Some old 2nd generation i5, 8GB ram, Nvidia 6800gs.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by skidoo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:05 pm

command not found
not booted to MX, I didn't realize it's not pre-installed. Maybe it's only effective in live session and is removed during installation?

If you care to give it a shot and find out (it's a tiny 69kb package), you can download the debfile
http://antixlinux.com/stretch/pool/main ... .5_all.deb
and
cd ~/Downloads
sudo dpkg -i console-grid-gui_0.2.5_all.deb
to install, then at a console prompt, type:
sudo console-width-select

mbooyzen
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#13 Post by mbooyzen » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks, got it from the repo(stable)

get this in return

console-width-select: Error: Could not get console width. Is the framebuffer enabled?

mbooyzen
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#14 Post by mbooyzen » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:02 pm

for more info i tried

$ modprobe fbcon
modprobe: FATAL: Module fbcon not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-1-amd64
$ modprobe fbconfig
modprobe: FATAL: Module fbconfig not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-1-amd64
$ modprobe xxxfb
modprobe: FATAL: Module xxxfb not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-1-amd64

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by skidoo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 pm

sorry about the goose chase. Unless we hear otherwise, the conwidth= boot parameter and the console-font-select and console-width-select utilities are antiX specific (supported by the specially patched antiX kernel). That would account for why they're not mentioned in the MX wiki.

mbooyzen
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#16 Post by mbooyzen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:15 am

No problems, I think the problem might then be in the proprietary driver. Will purge that and see from there. Maybe do a second install and mess that up first...

Thanks, will post back later.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#17 Post by fehlix » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 am

mbooyzen wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:43 am
Hi, tried to change the resolution in tty1-6, read hundreds of pages and failed every time
As more user seem to have this issue, here my reply:
Virtual Terminal Console Setup
  • How to change virtual terminal console resolution (columens) in MX Linux?
The following recipes have been working well within my system running MX Linux 17.1.
The graphic card in use is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 770.
We do have within MX Linux up to 7 virtual terminals. The graphical X windows is per default running at terminal device /dev/tty7. The virtual terminals 1-6 ( /dev/tty1 .. dev/tty6 ) can be used to login into a non-graphical VT-Console.
  • Virtual Terminal Console in LiveBoot

Within LiveBoot (USB, CD or frugal) we do have the option conwidth to setup the number of columns within the VTconsole. Available options are conwidth=(80, 100 , 120, 140, 160, 200).
You can choose conwidth option within classical boot menu by pressing F4 or adding
conwidth= boot-parameter manually.
  • Virtual Terminal Console in Installed System Boot

Within the installed MX Linux system the chosen option from the LiveBoot is carried over into the installed system.
To change or adjust the resolution and column width (number of columns) within a booted MX Linux system the following steps may be required.
  • 1. Adjust GRUB menu.

The follwing two GRUB parameter do influence the resolution/column-width
of the GRUB-boot menu and the virtual console.
GRUB_GFXMODE
and
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX.
To change these paramter you have to find first the supported resolution of you graphic card and monitor combo. To find out the correct parameters restart your system and open GRUB-shell command line from within the GRUB-menu by pressing "C". On GRUB cmdline type "vbeinfo" and ENTER to display all supported resolutions. Go back into GRUB-menu with ESC.
The desired resolution have to be entered into GRUB default parameter list.
This can be done within MX GRUB Customizer or by manually editing /etc/default/grub.
Regeneration of the GRUB-menu is required in the later case by issuing update-grub command from the terminal as administrator. Here are example of resolution parameters valid for my system:

GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080
In order to pass the required resolution to the linux kernel the GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX parameter can be used. I do use either of the following valid for my system.

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
With this values the GRUB_GFXMODE is taken and passed to the kernel.
Alternative resoltions can be used by explicitly specifying the values, e.g valid for my system:

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1920x1080
  • 2. Adjust Virtual Terminal Console Setup
In addition to the screen resolution provided to the kernel above it is required to adjust the font-size used within th VTconsole in order to change the number of columns displayed.
To change the font-size do run from the terminal command line as administrator

# dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
Do change only the font size. The smaller the font-size the larger will be the number of columns with the VTconsole . A reboot might be required to have the resolution changes available with VTconsole.
  • 3. Virtual Terminal Console Tipps: Lost X at VT7 - Only black screen

With MX Linux you can login into 6 VTconsole’s by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 .. F6 from within the graphical X-environment. To go back into the graphical X-environment running at /dev/tty7 you can press CTRL+ALT+F7.
In rare cases the /dev/tty7 accecss is sometimes lost and it appears you just have a black screen after trying to go back using CTRL+ALT+F7. One solution to have X-environment back is by pressing CTRL+ALT+BACK, which would log you out and should show you the login-screen. Unfortunately all your running applications get closed by this log-out.
A solution to reopen the still running graphical X-environment is the following:
Run as normal logged-in user within the VTconsole

chvt 7 
Alternatively if graphical session at /dev/tty7 is still not showing up. Go back the VTconsole /dev/tty1 by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 and issue the same command above as adminstrator

# sudo chvt 7 
This will reassign the graphical X-environment to VT 7.
This hint might also be applicable in other situations where VT7 of the X-enviromnents got lost, like situation after resume from suspense or hibernate, where users only have a black screen!
--fehlix
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

mbooyzen
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#18 Post by mbooyzen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks for all your time fehlix. I redid every step you've given but unfortunately didn't succeed. :bawling:
I do think your post will help someone in the future. For me i just did a quick reinstall setting the conwidth on the live boot and it sticks to the install now.
I haven't installed the proprietary driver yet, will do a snapshot first after updating....
Thanks again for all your time and effort. It's much appreciated.
Have a lovely day

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#19 Post by fehlix » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:25 pm

mbooyzen wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:36 pm
I haven't installed the proprietary driver yet, will do a snapshot first after updating....
This question I have seen so often, and it was good that you brought it up. Strange I have tested it with my nvidea driver and also in addition within virtualbox. But at least the conwidth trick is good to remember todo before install as I also like to use the VTconsole quit often.
:snail:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

mbooyzen
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#20 Post by mbooyzen » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 am

I also tried adding the conwidth to my startup script which obviously didn't do the trick either. Wondering whether the problem is with my hardware or why the other changes had no effect. Although my monitor did run on the set resolution but changing the font size did nothing. Larger font size left the screen and couldn't see the bottom or right side.
Now that I think of it my graphics card defaults to 2 monitors on the live system even though only one port is used. Maybe there's more to that.
Would it at all be possible to add the conwidth feature into the installed system in future?

Thanks again.

Return to “MX Help”