-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

End of the road.

Help for Current Versions of MX
MarkG
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

End of the road.

#1 Post by MarkG » Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 am

Well today was crunch time.

Nothing is working now.

The PC boots up and locks as soon as you move the mouse.

There was an internal library update from yesterday and this appears to have taken my system down.

Observations...

#1 - locking happens at times of increased and persistent disk activity.
#2 - locking has nothing to do with being online, it happens with many programs when offline.
#3 - returning back to the previous operating system sees a return of all functions with systems that are not currently working properly or at all.

Items that are not working... (which work with other distros of linux no issue on the same PC)
Canon Scanner, software reads it but scanning processes never start.
MTP connections are seen but are never accessible
Printing jobs will result in proper A4 100% scale and some cases, a 1/16th scale printout, even when scale is increased.
CUPS is set up, however, something in the system keeps on resetting the printer to 16 pages per A4 side...
Despite turning off the screen blank and saver, the screen goes blank and it refuses to wake up, it takes a push of the power button to force a suspend / shutdown option to appear and reawaken the screen.

There is a crashing issue, after the disk activity, the machine is in a state of it may not respond further or it may respond but be jittery. I try to reboot at a recovery like that. Most of the time it a case of yank the plug.

Despite following advice in the previous post I had made, these problems are getting worse, infact, very reminiscent of an Ubuntu build I once encountered that wouldn't print and when it did, wouldn't print full size, locking when disk activity is happening.

I am wondering if there is a bug in the Debian libraries that has crept back in as its been a good 8 years since I encountered this problem.

So as it stands, I can't use MX, its a shame as it appears to be a fairly comprehensive out the box option that for me has fallen over. Devs, you need to include support for older machines, Its ok if you can just go out and get new hardware, unfortunately, I am not in that position to be able to spend that kind of money.

I got a couple other distros to try before I have to resort to putting winblows on. I was luck to catch a sale and got Win 7 pro for £9.99 as a licence and download file. I resist using it, it has to be on my sons PC, which I am currently using to post this comment.

So I bid MX good luck and I have to unfortunately ditch this distro. :(

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: End of the road.

#2 Post by turtlebay777 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:11 pm

With no info about your computer and the chosen system, it's impossible to help you.

azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by azrielle » Sun May 20, 2018 3:04 pm

MX doesn't automatically update--internal libraries or anything else--one of the things I like about it. If it works initially, and later doesn't, it's almost 100% assured that it's something you did. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
However, having experienced something similar to what you describe on a 17" consumer Dell laptop, the likely fault is impending HDD failure, something NO operating system is going to fix--even Windows 7.
Acer V5-171 i5/3317u 12GB 11.6" MX17.1/Korora26/SolydX9/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" Parrot 4.01 Studio/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 240GB SSD
Acer AO D257 Atom/n570 2GB 10" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 128GB SSD

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Sun May 20, 2018 3:12 pm

There was an internal library update from yesterday and this appears to have taken my system down.
You can access /var/log/apt/history.log from a live session to see what this mystery update was, and to let us know.
Devs, you need to include support for older machines, Its ok if you can just go out and get new hardware, unfortunately, I am not in that position to be able to spend that kind of money.
Have you read much of the forums at all? :confused: You would have seen that support for older hardware is excellent.

Redacted
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by Redacted » Sun May 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 3:12 pm
You would have seen that support for older hardware is excellent.
May I add my support for this statment?
One MX here is on an imac that is at least 10 years old. My wife was ready to junk it since she couldn't get any updates, and had very little ram.
It runs beautifully. Problems only occur when I mess something up.
This is a wonderful distro.
MX 17.1

Richard

#6 Post by Richard » Sun May 20, 2018 4:50 pm

I updated yesterday and haven't had any problem.
MX17.1____: T430-2017, 8 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, 119 SSD
antiX-/MX-171: AA1/Eee, 1 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 149 HDD
DoubleCmd, LO604, Dropbox, Slimjet, FFesr, mPDFed, Py3, CherryT, Vbox

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by turtlebay777 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:13 pm

Just checking, but did you do a check of the downloaded distro to ensure it wasn't corrupted?

Richard

#8 Post by Richard » Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 am

I think his frustration has led him to install something that seems to work for him.
I don't believe he really wanted help he just wanted to vent a bit about his problem,
and continue with his new install.

I tend to agree with the poster who felt he has a hardware problem.
Been there; had that. It is painful. And leads to hasty decisions.

As MX moves higher in Distrowatch, our percentage of persons (whose hardware
may not be very compatible with MX as configured at that moment in time) may remain
the same but the number of persons will increase. 3% of 200 is 6; 3% of 2000 is 60, etc. (SWAG).

We can try to help all who want help, but some only come because their favorite
distro is being displaced by a no-name new-comer and they want to look for warts.
Others are dissatisfied where they are but won't admit it. Still others are just envious
of success. Some are just angry and don't always want help. Many like the result of MX.

Hopefully the OP will resolve his problem to his satisfaction.
Perhaps he'll return or perhaps he won't.
I did.
MX17.1____: T430-2017, 8 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, 119 SSD
antiX-/MX-171: AA1/Eee, 1 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 149 HDD
DoubleCmd, LO604, Dropbox, Slimjet, FFesr, mPDFed, Py3, CherryT, Vbox

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by Gordon Cooper » Mon May 21, 2018 1:52 am

Richard wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 am
As MX moves higher in Distrowatch, our percentage of persons (whose hardware
may not be very compatible with MX as configured at that moment in time) may remain
the same but the number of persons will increase. 3% of 200 is 6; 3% of 2000 is 60, etc. (SWAG).
Not only in Distrowatch, where a rise up the table could an create a welcome influx, but overall, an increase in the number of MX users - or would be users, may mean
that the inhabitants of this forum will have to tolerate an increasing number of complainants who find that MX is different, and who are not prepared to make the
effort to change. Some will eventually join us. Good. Others may just fade away. I hope that they do. Forum members who keep complaining are merely a PITA.
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-17.1 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

stsoh
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by stsoh » Mon May 21, 2018 4:04 am

seem like markG is trolling.
most of us r using mxlinux feels great about it, except for a few.
hw too old, even windows10 can't be install on old pc/laptop.
let him be, his end of the road. :p
we continue forward with mxlinux. :happy:
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo(MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (min/max: 1203/2700 MHz), 8Gb RAM (800 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.

Return to “MX Help”