-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

100 percent newbie

Help for Current Versions of MX
tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: 100 percent newbie

#11 Post by tascoast » Thu May 17, 2018 6:06 am

I migrated from XP to dual booting with Mepis, then subsequent versions of MX, eventually resigning XP to a Virtual Box VMachine and haven't used it in a long time now. However, doing the good CC and Defrag as suggested, XP runs happily with MX from my experience.

I recommend a 'Data' partition for common media and other large files in a format to suit XP access if desired. Just running a Live USB with persistence will eventually give you confidence to complete the above transformation to a dual boot system (or several). Allowing MX to control the Grub start works solidly. Just remember that keep the OS partitions 'lean' by consolidating large files is a good strategy.

A Live USB need not contain anything significant in the home directories other than settings and a few documents or similar files for convenience,accessing the big stuff on that data drive, or external storage, etc. Just be patient and cautious in tidying up the HDD and partitioning.

Gpart is really good in that it allows you to check size and order are all as required before actually making any changes, until you are ready. :happy:

Best wishes.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by uncle mark » Thu May 17, 2018 8:12 am

Then I will install MX17 initially on a separate new USB that I will purchase today. I’m not into games and won’t be running large movies from the usb so I am half guessing a 16gb 2.0 usb should be ok for the purpose, or do I need to get a larger and higher speed usb eg 32 gb 3.0 ?
Running live off a usb drive for demo purposes is fine, but trying to actually install on a usb connected drive will not be wise, especially with a old machine using usb 2.0.

Buy a second hard drive instead and drop it in the machine.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

LinuxNewbee
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#13 Post by LinuxNewbee » Sat May 19, 2018 2:01 am

Thanks for further replies.

Hi Gordon ………I’m on East coast. It sounds like I should partition my HDD and, for the short term at least, keep Winxp, so dual boot will be the way to go.

Hi tascoast……….Although I picked up a 32gb usb2.0 yesterday, it seems that instead of trying to install and run MX17 from the USB, I should instead install MX17 to my HDD and that this can be done via a virtual box or by partitioning the HDD.

Hi uncle mark....…

"Running live off a usb drive for demo purposes is fine, but trying to actually install on a usb connected drive will not be wise, especially with a old machine using usb 2.0."

Ok, I will go for dual boot approach rather than resource sharing via VM, as PC specs are fairly basic. My feeling is that I will end up using MX as primary system before long so may as well install on HDD.

However as I have zero knowledge and experience about partitioning a HDD I will have to study up on the subject. At least my files are backed up (on two usb’s).

I am thinking of using one of these free programs, though not sure which is best and easiest to use for a newbie like me.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-disk-part ... ls-2624950

regards
James

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Post by Gordon Cooper » Sat May 19, 2018 3:50 am

Hi James, Only a couple of hours difference,unless you're in Queensland during the summer. Partitioning may sound scary, but it is really quite simple. A matter of
dividing the Hard Drive into several independent pieces. Have not heard of or used that programme you suggested. most of us here used GParted, which works on the disk, regardless of which system you have installed. As proposed by Uncle Mark, you should use CClean to get rid of the rubbish, then Defrag to fix Windows habit of using all the space available and leaving random blank areas on the drive. Defrag, puts fragmented programmes/files together leaving you with a completely clear disk part, for installing something else e.g. MX.
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-17.1 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#15 Post by tascoast » Sat May 19, 2018 4:04 am

More specifically, I would use Gparted to create a 'root' (aprox 15-20GB) and 'home' (20GB would be heaps unless using VMs or large files) partition, along with a Swap partition of the same size as rAM available. (eg. 4 GB RAM = 4GB Swap partition. Gparted allows you to set the type to swap when you are partitioning)

Assuming XP is tidy, do a couple of test runs using Gparted in a live session, until you feel happy with the partitions and arrangement of primary and extended partitions you will be aiming to create. Perform current operations when ready and yeah, breath in and out....having backed up XP, naturally. But enjoy :happy:
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

LnoyBoy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by LnoyBoy » Sat May 19, 2018 12:53 pm

+1 for following Uncle Mark's clean & defrag, then GParted.

Return to “MX Help”