-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Where did make-kpkg go?

Help for Current Versions of MX
roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Where did make-kpkg go?

#1 Post by roadapathy » Mon May 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Strange, I cannot find a working version of make-kpkg used to compile the upstream Kernel. I tried the Debian one and it did not work. I looked in stable and test repos. I'm missing something obvious, I think. I did a Google search for a good two hours and found nothing that applied to MX Linux.

I pass this command in the Kernel source directory:
sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native" CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=native" make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-ryzen7 kernel_image kernel_headers

and I get this:
sudo: make-kpkg: command not found

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Where did make-kpkg go?

#2 Post by timkb4cq » Tue May 15, 2018 10:48 am

The make-kpkg command is found in the kernel-package package. For some reason debian didn't include kernel-package for the stretch release so it wasn't included in MX-17 by default - but it has now been added to debian backports for stretch.
You can install it using MX Tools -> Package Installer -> Full App Catalog -> Debian Backports Repo
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by roadapathy » Tue May 15, 2018 1:13 pm

I did find version 13.x and it failed to build the Kernel. I wonder if that's the same one. Now I'm concerned. I will look for that version tonight after work that you mentioned and see if it works. The next thing may be for me to download the make-kpkg source and compile it myself IF that will work but it seems like a very distro-specific tool. I have a feeling I can't just so that. :-(

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 pm

I'm pretty sure the kernel now has a built-in command to build deb packages....perhaps this one:

Code: Select all

make -j`nproc` bindeb-pkg

roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by roadapathy » Tue May 15, 2018 7:34 pm

Stevo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 pm
I'm pretty sure the kernel now has a built-in command to build deb packages....perhaps this one:

OMG! I had no idea. I have dozens of RSS feeds just for Linux on my news app and I have never once heard about this new feature. How can I be in the know on this sort of thing? Wow, thank you very much!!

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Stevo » Tue May 15, 2018 8:34 pm

roadapathy wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:34 pm
Stevo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 pm

OMG! I had no idea. I have dozens of RSS feeds just for Linux on my news app and I have never once heard about this new feature. How can I be in the know on this sort of thing? Wow, thank you very much!!
I just looked in the Debian wiki, but I remembered it also being mentioned in the Debian forums a few times.

Our Debian and Liquorix kernel backports are built in a different manner using the Debian packaging tools, however.
I'm not sure if that target is in really in the kernel Makefile, but it wouldn't hurt to search for "deb" in it to see what turns up. Here's a question about it on stack exchange: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ke-deb-pkg

roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by roadapathy » Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 pm

I know that Liquorix is very popular but people could build their own Kernel and make it even better by passing the -O3 and -march=native during the build process. I used the command that you gave me but this time I did not pass those optimizations because the command is too new to me. I will have to learn how to add the CFLAGS to it.

Return to “MX Help”