-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

A few notes after installing MX17.1

Help for Current Versions of MX
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: A few notes after installing MX17.1

#11 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 pm

any other details on the garbled letters in persist-save? language in use? keymap?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by skidoo » Mon May 14, 2018 1:11 am

English, default keyboard.
It's intermittent & I haven't discovered what triggers it.
The only thing affected is the value (where a numeric value is expected) displayed in the yad dialog
space available:
space used:
space required: ?h MB

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by skidoo » Mon May 14, 2018 1:32 am

The resize margins of windows are way too small. I have found a solution but this should work better out of the box.
No need to fiddle with dragging the corners.
pressing Alt + RightMouseButton while hovering a window will initiate a drag resize operation on the window.
If (for instance) cursor is anywhere over top-left quadrant of the window, the dragging the mouse will grow the window as though you had grabbed the top-left corner...
a question about the sizes of the ttys (those I get with Alt-Ctrl-F[1-6]).
80x25 on my monitor is too small as a resolution so I tried to change that with a vga= parameter during boot.
Does work for the the first part of the boot but then the screen is switched back to 80x25 and that is that. How can I do that?
instead of vga=, use colwidth= on the boot line.
For my 23" 1920x1080 display, colwidth=140 seems preferable.
A smaller colwidth value, e.g 120, yields a larger console font size
(the directive instructs framebuffer, er, fbdev, "size the font so that it takes xx columns of characters to fill the width of the display")

During a session, you can set/select a different width on-demand by using the command "console-width-select".
Similarly, you can set/select a different console font by using the command "console-font-select".

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:41 am

Also:
--Alt-F7 lets you drag the window
--Alt-F8 puts the cursor on the corner ready to resize window (unless maximized, then must unmaximize first)
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

thomasl
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by thomasl » Mon May 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks for all the answers. I hope it's OK to put my comments into a single post.
fehlix wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:42 pm
thomasl wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:41 am
.... although those sticks have been automounted...
Have those sticks been automated at boot via Thunar's automount or via Disk-Manager automount?
How would I know?
fehlix wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:42 pm
If the later, they got automounted via fstab-entries at boot time and would not be available
for MX-unmounter!
If they are get mounted or auto-mounted via Thunar the shall show up within MX-unmounter.
Well, all I can say is that they do not show up. How can I switch between the various methods of automounting?
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 pm
any other details on the garbled letters in persist-save? language in use? keymap?
UK English.
skidoo wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:11 am
It's intermittent & I haven't discovered what triggers it.
I can't say either when or why it happens but it seems to be triggered more often if the amount to sync is small, ie low single-digit MBs.

As to the sizes for resize margins, I would certainly support the idea of enlarging them across the board. I know that there are other methods but I still dual-boot with Windows 8.1and I' rather not try to learn two different ways of resizing.
skidoo wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:32 am
A smaller colwidth value, e.g 120, yields a larger console font size
(the directive instructs framebuffer, er, fbdev, "size the font so that it takes xx columns of characters to fill the width of the display")

During a session, you can set/select a different width on-demand by using the command "console-width-select".
Well...the colwidth= thing does not seem to work here, I get an error about this not being recognised. And console-width-select doesn't exist either. What does exist is choose-console-width (works but no good for scripts) and (in /etc/live/bin, strange directory?) set-console-width (this supports a parameter and is good for scripts).
Dual-boot MX17.1/64 frugal root persistence + Windows 7 on Lenovo Edge72 i5-3470S/12GB and Tosh R950 i5-3340M/8GB
“In foreign countries they fear baldness. They are so rich in foreign countries, they can afford to fear all kinds of silly things.”

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by skidoo » Mon May 14, 2018 12:56 pm

colwidth= might be recognized only during liveboot session.
The utilities I mentioned are provided by antiX package "console-grid-gui". I'm not on MX at the moment, unsure whether that package (along with a few other small packages it depends on) are available from MX repository.
it seems to be triggered more often if the amount to sync is small, ie low single-digit MBs.
You're right. I looked in the code and found [ "$xfer_size" -lt "10" ] && xfer_size="?"
so the question mark character is intentionally displayed, is not a bug.

thomasl
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Post by thomasl » Mon May 14, 2018 1:07 pm

skidoo wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:56 pm
The utilities I mentioned are provided by antiX package "console-grid-gui". I'm not on MX at the moment, unsure whether that package (along with a few other small packages it depends on) are available from MX repository.
Don't bother, set-console-width does the job and is now in my .profile.
Dual-boot MX17.1/64 frugal root persistence + Windows 7 on Lenovo Edge72 i5-3470S/12GB and Tosh R950 i5-3340M/8GB
“In foreign countries they fear baldness. They are so rich in foreign countries, they can afford to fear all kinds of silly things.”

Return to “MX Help”