-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX and my problem

Help for Current Versions of MX
towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX and my problem

#21 Post by towwire » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:The old MX ISOs are on Source Forge, though not the MX-14 releases. No idea about the old Mepis ones, but you can snoop around the mirrors on that website.
They are here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/mepis/released/

MX<3
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#22 Post by MX<3 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Stevo wrote:If I had this problem, I'd at least to install and run the stock Debian 4.9 kernel to see if that solves the freezing issues. Doing that is just a few clicks away in the MX package installer and a few key presses in GRUB. The 4.9 Debian kernel is as "fixed" as any other 64-bit kernel is going to be for Meltdown and Spectre, too.

Other things you can try is to uninstall intel-microcode, in case you got a buggy version installed.
Stock Debian 4.9? Thanks. I see this:
Krnl.png
But there is no info on patched or not...

So I'll use 4.9. I've just installed MX 16. Done the 178 updates and rebooted. Now I'll do the Kernel you mention because I'm guessing that the 4.7 default is not patched.

The intel-microcode? Don't I need that then? The problems started around the install of that...

What's the best way to install the new Kernel? It's not in the popular apps section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Computer
Gigabyte B360M-DS3H Motherboard
Intel Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad Core CPU
2x 4GB DDR4 2400 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Grfx Card
HDD x2 @ 1TB

MX<3
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#23 Post by MX<3 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:16 pm

Alright. I grabbed this : 4.9.91-antix.1-amd64-smp-1

I hope this is ok.

Code: Select all

System: Kernel: 4.9.91-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 
           Distro: MX-16.1_x64 Metamorphosis 8 June 2017 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M4A79XTD EVO v: Rev X.0X serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends 
           v: 0704 date: 11/25/2009 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Phenom II X4 965 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 
Graphics:  Card-1: NVIDIA driver: N/A 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa unloaded: nv 
           resolution: 1920x1080~0Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8 128 bits) v: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3 
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Card-2: NVIDIA driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.91-antix.1-amd64-smp 
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1.85 TiB used: 5.19 GiB (0.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDS72101 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HDS72101 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: SAMSUNG_SP2014N size: 31.50 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 301.22 GiB used: 5.19 GiB (1.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 31.5 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 215 Uptime: 15m Memory: 7.80 GiB used: 614.3 MiB (7.7%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.06
The only problem left is how to use the HDTV as I was before, without installing the NVidia Grfx Drivers.

Does anyone know how to do this? The HDTV is not showing up in the Monitor Settings Dialogue.

Edit: Another problem. Thunar will not mount my Drive with my videos on. It used to. Now I only get this:

Code: Select all

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdb3: Command-line `mount "/media/Disk2"' exited with non-zero exit status 16: Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.
The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.
??? I really am about to give up with Linux. I've never been able to get it to work consistently. It's just too buggy and difficult.

Edit2: Apparently I have to use the Disk Manager Application now... The disk I have split into three partitions, were using the same Mount Point or something.
Whatever.. it's figured out. If only I can get the Grfx Card to output to HDMI as well as D-Sub or instead of D-Sub, I think I'll be ready to give it a couple of weeks use and see if it crashes again.
My Computer
HDD x2 @ 1TB

colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#24 Post by colin_b » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, are you using a Chrome based browser? The reason I ask is I found that these cause inexplicable lock-ups when I used them, especially when Compiz was used.

I tried two browsers, Opera and Vivaldi. When used with Compiz the lock-ups would occur at random times, generally withing a couple of hours of browser use. When I tried Vivaldi without Compiz things worked OK for a couple of days, and then, without warning the computer locked up.

I have not had this problem with either Firefox or Pale Moon, the lock-ups simply do not happen, so I now use Firefox.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Post by asqwerth » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:00 pm

MX<3 wrote:
Stevo wrote:If I had this problem, I'd at least to install and run the stock Debian 4.9 kernel to see if that solves the freezing issues. Doing that is just a few clicks away in the MX package installer and a few key presses in GRUB. The 4.9 Debian kernel is as "fixed" as any other 64-bit kernel is going to be for Meltdown and Spectre, too.

Other things you can try is to uninstall intel-microcode, in case you got a buggy version installed.
Stock Debian 4.9? Thanks. I see this:

Krnl.png

But there is no info on patched or not...

So I'll use 4.9. I've just installed MX 16. Done the 178 updates and rebooted. Now I'll do the Kernel you mention because I'm guessing that the 4.7 default is not patched.

The intel-microcode? Don't I need that then? The problems started around the install of that...

What's the best way to install the new Kernel? It's not in the popular apps section.
There is something wrong with that screenshot if it's from MX17. Updates to MXPI have added descriptions like "meltdown/spectre patched" to certain kernels. So you may have a repository mirror that hasn't updated for yonks.

Please let us see your output for

inxi -F

On the other hand, if that pic is from MX16, I can't recall if the descriptions are there.

In MX16, Debian 4.9 won't be stock but will be a backported kernel.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

MX<3
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#26 Post by MX<3 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:10 pm

colin_b wrote:Just out of curiosity, are you using a Chrome based browser? The reason I ask is I found that these cause inexplicable lock-ups when I used them, especially when Compiz was used.

I tried two browsers, Opera and Vivaldi. When used with Compiz the lock-ups would occur at random times, generally withing a couple of hours of browser use. When I tried Vivaldi without Compiz things worked OK for a couple of days, and then, without warning the computer locked up.

I have not had this problem with either Firefox or Pale Moon, the lock-ups simply do not happen, so I now use Firefox.
You get lock-ups too huh? It sucks. I use Firefox and haven't tried another browser. I can't use Opera because I watch Netflix and the DRM software won't work with Opera, unfortunately. I don't use any transparency effects ect... that's what Compiz is for, right?... I find it makes the screen tearing worse.
The crashes can happen in VLC, too so I don't think it's Browser related.

asqwerth wrote:There is something wrong with that screenshot if it's from MX17. Updates to MXPI have added descriptions like "meltdown/spectre patched" to certain kernels. So you may have a repository mirror that hasn't updated for yonks.

Please let us see your output for

inxi -F

On the other hand, if that pic is from MX16, I can't recall if the descriptions are there.

In MX16, Debian 4.9 won't be stock but will be a backported kernel.
Inxi -F is in the last post I put here... You miss that? I ended up with 4.9.91-antix.1-amd64-smp-1 Kernel. It's MX16 so there are no descriptions on Popular App Kernels.
I went for MX16 because, for one it feels better (I have no idea why) and two, MX17 would just upgrade to 17.1, which had serious lock-ups for me.

I just need to be able to use the HDTV as I was before but without installing the proprietary NVidia Grfx Drivers this time. I can't choose another Monitor, it doesn't show up.

Do you know what I could do to get an HDMI output, without proprietary drivers?
My Computer
HDD x2 @ 1TB

colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#27 Post by colin_b » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 pm

MX<3 wrote: You get lock-ups too huh? It sucks. I use Firefox and haven't tried another browser. I can't use Opera because I watch Netflix and the DRM software won't work with Opera, unfortunately. I don't use any transparency effects ect... that's what Compiz is for, right?... I find it makes the screen tearing worse.
I have only ever had the lock-ups when running Opera or Vivaldi, the problem disappeared when I used Firefox or Pale Moon - I haven't had a single lock-up whilst using these browsers.

I have had problems with Compton on MX 17. My PC links to the monitor via VGA and to a TV via HDMI (I'm am using the standard Nouveau drivers, not proprietary Nvidia ones). I found that when I enabled Compton the video output ceased to both outputs and I was left with a "no signal" display. I did not have this problem with MX 16. In the end I gave up with it and I no longer use a compositor, and things run flawlessly. I have found that the latest version of VLC (3.x) in the test repo eliminates the problem of video tearing.

richb
Administrator

#28 Post by richb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 pm

MX 17.1, compiz, Google Chrome. No lockups with any software. It is an AMD processor with onboard graphics. Currently a 4.15.9-antix.1-amd64-smp kernel, but have had the default kernel and the MX 4.15 kernel installed.
It must be some combination of your processor, kernel and graphics card that causes your problem with certain software. But you probably already know this.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#29 Post by j2mcgreg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:29 pm

this may be of no use at all (so apologies in advance if that's the case). The Nvidia 1050Ti cards are known to freeze in Windows 7 / 10 when the user is driving a high end or very large monitor. The solution there is to use the Nvidia Control Center app. to change the power management setting from 'optimal' to 'max'. I don't know if its possible to make that change in MX17, but maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

MX<3
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#30 Post by MX<3 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:18 pm

colin_b wrote:
MX<3 wrote: You get lock-ups too huh? It sucks. I use Firefox and haven't tried another browser. I can't use Opera because I watch Netflix and the DRM software won't work with Opera, unfortunately. I don't use any transparency effects ect... that's what Compiz is for, right?... I find it makes the screen tearing worse.
I have only ever had the lock-ups when running Opera or Vivaldi, the problem disappeared when I used Firefox or Pale Moon - I haven't had a single lock-up whilst using these browsers.

I have had problems with Compton on MX 17. My PC links to the monitor via VGA and to a TV via HDMI (I'm am using the standard Nouveau drivers, not proprietary Nvidia ones). I found that when I enabled Compton the video output ceased to both outputs and I was left with a "no signal" display. I did not have this problem with MX 16. In the end I gave up with it and I no longer use a compositor, and things run flawlessly. I have found that the latest version of VLC (3.x) in the test repo eliminates the problem of video tearing.

I went back to MX16 to see if that will be more stable. I had so many lock-ups in 17.1. I haven't touched anything yet and I'm guessing Compton is off by default?

I actually have close to what you have going on. HDMI out to the T.V and DVI-D to the Monitor. It looks like Nouveau is installed already but I don't know if it's using it.
My earlier 'inxi -F' might tell us. It's weird you lost both signals. Mine won't even show both T.V and Monitor, in the Display Settings. I can't seem to get an Output to the T.V with the Nouveau Drivers... at least as they are now.

VLC is awsome!

richb wrote:MX 17.1, compiz, Google Chrome. No lockups with any software. It is an AMD processor with onboard graphics. Currently a 4.15.9-antix.1-amd64-smp kernel, but have had the default kernel and the MX 4.15 kernel installed.
It must be some combination of your processor, kernel and graphics card that causes your problem with certain software. But you probably already know this.
I got some temperamental machine here I guess :bawling:

j2mcgreg wrote:this may be of no use at all (so apologies in advance if that's the case). The Nvidia 1050Ti cards are known to freeze in Windows 7 / 10 when the user is driving a high end or very large monitor. The solution there is to use the Nvidia Control Center app. to change the power management setting from 'optimal' to 'max'. I don't know if its possible to make that change in MX17, but maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.
Good info thanks. It is a 1050ti so... I think I did that in Windows, while I was looking through the NVidia Settings, to see what was there. It made more sense to not limit the power on the bigger games I play. I've had very few crashes on Windows though... thank God.

I wonder if there is a way to do that on MX, without using the NVidia Drivers.
My Computer
HDD x2 @ 1TB

Return to “MX Help”