Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

How to Break Your System

Help for Current Versions of MX
When asking for help, use Quick System Info from MX Tools. It will be properly formatted using the following steps.
1. Click on Quick System Info in MX Tools
2. Right click in your post and paste.
Paul..

How to Break Your System

#1 Post by Paul.. »

These two actions have a high probability of breaking your system…

1. Using Ubuntu PPAs.
Ubuntu is not Debian, so installing PPAs will likely cause problems and you will be left to pick up the pieces.
See this for more details: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/add-ppa-repository

Solution: Go to viewforum.php?f=55 and ask our Packaging Devs if the PPA can be be ported or updated for our own repository.

2. Leaving repos like Test, Experimental, Multimedia et al. permanently enabled.
Leaving these repos permanently enabled will result in system instabilities and likely lead to a re-installation.

Solution: Install packages from these repos one-at-a-time, test them before adding another, and disable the repo when done. Or use the MX-Tools-->Package Installer-->Full App Catalog to install individual packages from selected repos.[/list]

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

KBD

Re: How to Break Your System

#2 Post by KBD »

Yes, I ended up with "FrankenDebian" a few times early on. I simply wanted a newer version of a program, enabled Sid, and found myself in dependency hell. Not a good idea.

Return to “MX Help”