-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Having a choice for OpenOffice and PaleMoon

Help for Current Versions of MX
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Having a choice for OpenOffice and PaleMoon

#11 Post by Stevo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:11 pm

I thought I replaced Firefox with Pale Moon on those MX 15/16 "Core" 700 MB ISOs to save some MB. But that was a while ago.

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by KBD » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:29 pm

I've been very impressed with Softmaker's office suite. They recently released their Linux 2018 office version. They also have an older free version called Freeoffice, but their paid version handles the newer windows files like docx. Pretty good stand in replacement for MS Office and handles Windows files better than Libreoffice in my experience.
http://www.softmaker.com/en/

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by Paul.. » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:31 am

asqwerth wrote:
NGIB wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:Not that I can remember, but a Forum search should tell you. I see debs here:

http://wps-community.org/download.html

Have you tried installing those?
WPS installs just fine from the .DEBs at that site. I use it and it's a great simple office suite...
Yup, on both MX15/16 and 17.

I am not sure the licence will allow packaging by MX, so the deb files from their site will have to do.
@asqwerth, I looked into this for MXPI but there are several problems: 1) It's Alpha21 software and hasn't been updated since 2017-06-15 2) an install script needs to use 'apt-get -f install' to clean up a dependency problem...not a good sign going forward 3) the Kingsoft license agreement says we must comply with export laws of China. So I don't think it is a good idea to put it in MXPI.

Daily: MSI 890FXA-GD70 | AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 8G
Test: Thinkpad T431s | Intel i5-3437U | Intel 3rd gen Graphics | 4G

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by kmathern » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:12 pm

I created a OpenOffice installer script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# get the current version of Apache OpenOffice
aoover="$(wget -qO- https://www.openoffice.org/download/ | grep announce | grep [1-9][.][0-9.]+ -Eo | head -1)"

# get $LANG setting and convert it to the format Apache OpenOffice uses (i.e. change the underscore to a "-") 
lang="$(cut -f1 -d. <<<$LANG | sed 's/_/-/')"

# get our architecture and convert it to the format Apache OpenOffice uses (i.e. amd64=x86-64, i386=x86)
arch="$(dpkg --print-architecture | sed 's/amd64/x86-64/;s/i386/x86/')"

# get the download link
aoolink="$(wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/"$aoover"/binaries/"$lang"/Apache_OpenOffice_"$aoover"_Linux_"$arch"_install-deb_"$lang".tar.gz/download --spider 2>&1 | grep ^Location -m1 | awk '{print $2}')"

# get the tarball name
aootarball="$(cut -f1 -d? <<<"$aoolink" | xargs basename)"

# create a working directory
aooTMP="$(mktemp -d /tmp/"$(cut -f1-5 -d_ <<<"$aootarball")".XXXXXX)"

# download tarball to working directory
wget "$aoolink" -O "$aooTMP"/"$aootarball"

# unpack tarball in the working directory
tar -xvzf "$aooTMP"/"$aootarball" -C "$aooTMP"

# remove the tarball to save some space
rm "$aooTMP"/"$aootarball"

# openoffice-debian-menus's /usr/bin/soffice file will conflict with the same file from the libreoffice-common package,
# so before installing the .debs, first remove (purge) libreoffice-common, it's dependencies and the resulting autoremoves
apt-get purge libreoffice-common --trivial-only -V 2>/dev/null | grep ^\ \ \ | awk '{print $1}' | cut -f1 -d* | xargs dpkg -P

# use dpkg to install the .deb packages
dpkg -i "$aooTMP"/$lang/DEBS/*.deb "$aooTMP"/$lang/DEBS/desktop-integration/*.deb

# now that .debs have been installed, remove the working directory
rm -rf "$aooTMP"

exit
aoo_install.txt
(rename it without the ".txt" extension)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#15 Post by Paul.. » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:52 pm

Fabulous, Kent!! Hopefully, I will figure how to use in MXPI...or add the script to an appropriate permanent location to call from MXPI..

Daily: MSI 890FXA-GD70 | AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 8G
Test: Thinkpad T431s | Intel i5-3437U | Intel 3rd gen Graphics | 4G

Justinian
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#16 Post by Justinian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:43 am

Apologies for returning late here. Thank you everyone for all your replies. LibreOffice and FF 64-bit have been excellent on my Wolfdale Core2Duo desktop (HDD, DDR2-800) running MX17. For old units such as my laptop whose slow EIDE drive died and had to be substituted with a flash stick for full install, I believe these would be better off with an updated version of the Core iso mentioned by Stevo. It currently has AntiX/PM/OOo but I can always dream of MX17.1 Core for now. There was an identical USB-system freezing issue noted in the Reader Comments of DistroWatch Weekly Issue 744 1 January 2018, however I hope this won't recur once I switch back.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by Stevo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:53 pm

We did take a few tries at getting MX 17 under 700 MB, but they all ended up too big. Your idea of making a minimal antiX into a trimmed-down MX 17 is probably the way to go.

Return to “MX Help”