-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

I've broken my lovely MX17 - Please help!

Help for Current Versions of MX
Royville
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

I've broken my lovely MX17 - Please help!

#1 Post by Royville » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Hello,
This is my first posting so please be gentle with me.
I've been using MX17 for about a month now and loving it. However today I was trying the snapshot tool in MX Tools but I stopped it because the screensaver kept kicking in. I disabled the screensaver and decided to delete the snapshot directory. The snapshot folder was in the same directory as my home folder. When I right clicked the folder the Delete option was faded, so I tried left click then 'ownership to root' which didn't work. Then i tried left click and 'open root thunar here which also didn't work. At this point nothing would then work, so I tried to log out and back in again. When I logged out I was presented with a blank screen with a flashing cursor at the top left.
Now my system will only boot to this blank screen - with flashing cursor.

Please can someone help me get my desktop back.

By reading through some of the forum I've found out that I can log in as root from the blank screen and if i type startx I get a desktop (but not my own), and if I open file manager and click 'File System' I can get to my home directory. So I think all my stuff is still in there but something seems to be wrong with the normal boot up process - which I think I caused through messing with snapshot.

Please can you help me?
Kind regards
Roy.

penguin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: I've broken my lovely MX17 - Please help!

#2 Post by penguin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:47 pm

have you tried to log on as user from command line ?

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Adrian » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm

I assume you tool ownership to /home/username as root. Can you check by logging in to root and see what "ls -al /home/username" shows? If it shows ownership as root for the folders and files in /home/username then you need to use "chown -R username:username /home/username" (replace "username" with your actual username).

Royville
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by Royville » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:07 am

Hi Penguin:
Yes I can log in as user from command prompt but 'startx' wont work, - server error!

Hi Adrian:
I logged in as root and ran the command you posted which seemed to go in okay, - Great!
So then I typed 'reboot' and the system rebooted normally and I got my desktop back, - Wonderful!
However, I then tried to do a normal shut down via the menu, but the only option I could use was the 'log out' option, which again, when I clicked on it - took me to a blank screen with flashing cursor.

What do I do now?

Thank you Gents for your replies.
Regards
Roy.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by GuiGuy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 am

You could try to create a new user: if that works copy the contents of the original user's home folder.

To create a new user from the root CLI :-
useradd -m NEWUSERNAME
works for me: you then have to do
passwd NEWUSERNAME

Royville
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by Royville » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:26 pm

You could try to create a new user: if that works copy the contents of the original user's home folder.
Hi GuiGuy,

That's not really what i want to do , so I'll do a re-install as I don't know what else to do.

Thank you all for your help.

Kind regards
Roy.

Return to “MX Help”