-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-17 won't boot up anymore. [solved]

Help for Current Versions of MX
GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: MX-17 won't boot up anymore.

#31 Post by GuiGuy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Mauser, while we are waiting for DO to come back, have you tried the "startx" command?

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#32 Post by Mauser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:36 pm

GuiGuy wrote:Mauser, while we are waiting for DO to come back, have you tried the "startx" command?
No. I don't you what that is.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#33 Post by Mauser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:44 pm

GuiGuy wrote:Mauser, while we are waiting for DO to come back, have you tried the "startx" command?
I just tried it and it got me to a basic xfce without a panel or menu. When I right click and select anything from the menu. Nothing respon

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#34 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Mauser wrote:
I just tried it and it got me to a basic xfce without a panel or menu. When I right click and select anything from the menu. Nothing respon

we won't get your desktop until we can log in as your regular user account.

I imagine if you wanted you could use mx-user to create a new account and try logging in with that. This won't help with the encrypted folder, but might at least get you a default desktop and your installed apps.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#35 Post by Mauser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:57 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Mauser wrote:

I imagine if you wanted you could use mx-user to create a new account and try logging in with that. This won't help with the encrypted folder, but might at least get you a default desktop and your installed apps.
Sounds like encryption is the problem. It's starting to look like I have to reformat the hdd and reinstall MX17 and what ever I have backed up on the other drive. What say you?

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#36 Post by GuiGuy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Mauser wrote:
GuiGuy wrote:.... "startx" command?
:frown:Oh well, I guess it was worth a try - the info might help DO to solve your problem.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#37 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Mauser wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Mauser wrote:I just tried it and it got me to a basic xfce without a panel or menu. When I right click and select anything from the menu. Nothing respon

Sounds like encryption is the problem. It's starting to look like I have to reformat the hdd and reinstall MX17 and what ever I have backed up on the other drive. What say you?
Possibly, especially if your password isn't working. But I need to check on a system I can screw up later tonight to see how those encrypted home folders are supposed to be defined. Its bound to be defined somewhere, I just don't know where.

If you were going to nuke your system, rather than reinstalling, it might be enough just to delete your old user and that user's home folder, then create a new one. This can be done in mx-user. You'll lose the encrypted home folder, but you will still have all your installed apps.

Of course, there is the mystery as to why this happened in the first place.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#38 Post by Mauser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:08 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Mauser wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:

Possibly, especially if your password isn't working. But I need to check on a system I can screw up later tonight to see how those encrypted home folders are supposed to be defined. Its bound to be defined somewhere, I just don't know where.
There nowhere to enter the password except for root. Root works but no user login.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#39 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:33 pm

the place where you log in as root can also be used to log in as user. assuming your user account is working.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#40 Post by Stevo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Of course, there is the mystery as to why this happened in the first place.
There was the mention of the recent change of swappiness from 60 to 10. Maybe this had some unforeseen interaction with encryption when the swap somehow was used this last time. The other possibilities may be a flaky hard drive or some sort of power fluctuation that caused a disk error, even just a fluke cosmic ray that flipped a critical bit.

Return to “MX Help”