-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Featherpad in MX 17? hmm...

Help for Current Versions of MX
lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Featherpad in MX 17? hmm...

#11 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:05 pm

I may be in the minority, but I don't desire extra tools such as spell check in my text editor. They defeat the KISS principle. If I want a spell check, I'll use Libreoffice or some such many-featured word processor.

What I wanted in an editor, which Leafpad was too simple to have, is a datestamp/timestamp feature; and the first editor someone showed me that makes datestamps in a very quick procedure was Pluma. (Although I've never seen anything beat Windows Notepad's datestamp, which you activate by pressing only F5.) Regrettably, I just noticed Featherpad has no datestamp feature.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by Adrian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Pluma seems to have a nice syntax highlighter too.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by Jerry3904 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:25 pm

It brings mate-desktop-common along with it, wonder if that could be disabled somehow?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by Adrian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:It brings mate-desktop-common along with it, wonder if that could be disabled somehow?
It's a 2,320 kB library, that's not that big, it's not mate-desktop. Featherpad probably brings in its own Qt libraries.

Actually I checked:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --assume-no autoremove pluma
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgtksourceview-3.0-1 libgtksourceview-3.0-common mate-desktop-common pluma pluma-common
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 21.0 MB disk space will be freed.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --assume-no autoremove featherpad 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  featherpad
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 1,209 kB disk space will be freed.
So Pluma is like 20MB heavier

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Post by Stevo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:48 pm

No, Featherpad doesn't add any extra Qt 5 libraries to the ISO. The developer purposely keeps it trim and depending on just Qt 5. He seems really responsive to requests, too, so why doesn't someone ask for the time-date feature in an issue on its github?

Edit: requested it in a new issue, as well as for a display of the cursor position in the current line..49/74 characters, for example. That's handy when we try to keep lines at 80 characters or less, per Debian packaging policy.

I don't know if he wants to add spellcheck to it, though.

Here's the new build---ignore the dbgsym debs for now. It has the autosave feature, which must be enabled in Preferences/Files, and the "fpad" shortcut.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DQJG_ ... pJod_yct7N_
Last edited by Stevo on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by Adrian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:58 pm

a spellcheck could be a nice option (I like how it's implemented in Pluma, you can do a manual check or you can select an "autocheck")

richb
Administrator

#17 Post by richb » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Adrian wrote:a spellcheck could be a nice option (I like how it's implemented in Pluma, you can do a manual check or you can select an "autocheck")
I agree. Featherpad is too light and LO overkill for simple work in my opinion.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by Stevo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:31 pm

The developer wants a bit more info on the date/time stamp:

With the last commit, each view tracks the modification time of its file. I added that for another reason but the time can be made available to the user. That being said, I don't understand what you mean by "adding date/time stamp to the file name". Could you please be more specific?
What is pluma doing? Are you talking about its feature to insert the current time and date into the text of the document?

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Stevo wrote:The developer wants a bit more info on the date/time stamp:
With the last commit, each view tracks the modification time of its file. I added that for another reason but the time can be made available to the user. That being said, I don't understand what you mean by "adding date/time stamp to the file name". Could you please be more specific?
What is pluma doing? Are you talking about its feature to insert the current time and date into the text of the document?
Not that I spoke to the developer, but that's what I meant, yes. I don't know how "to the file name" got read in. I use Pluma for various kinds of datestamped text, especially journal entries.

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm somewhat puzzled at those of you who approve of Pluma having spell check; but I must be not quite a "normal" user regarding the need for spell check. My attitude is: If my document is going to need in the first place to look good, why wouldn't I use a full-featured word processor? But if it's strictly personal writing of any kind, such as a personal journal or college notes, why would I need to spell-check the text? A related issue is: in college, I was puzzled when I saw a girl using Microsoft Word to type notes in a literature class. Did she not know about Notepad?
Last edited by lonesomepoint on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MX Help”