-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Featherpad in MX 17? hmm...

Help for Current Versions of MX
lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Featherpad in MX 17? hmm...

#1 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:01 pm

I have just installed MX 17 for the first time, and I see it added a new text editor called Featherpad. I'm comparing it to Pluma, the similar text editor I use. I'll figure out which I prefer, but why did you choose Featherpad, MX team? Any comment, particularly on why I might want to use it instead of Pluma?

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Featherpad in MX 17? hmm...

#2 Post by Adrian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:47 pm

Pluma looks like a nice editor, don't have experience with it, we chose a light text editor, we can always change the default one if we find a better one. What are the advantages of Pluma in your opinion over Featherpad?

NGIB
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by NGIB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:50 pm

I prefer Leafpad to both and it's the first thing I installed in MX-17 (mainly because I'm used to it)...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:04 pm

I see that 0.7 is now in Sid. I will look at it to see if I can pick any tricks from it...I think they have a symlink to "fpad" so it's not as long to type in the terminal. I'll build a new version from git, since that adds an auto-save feature.

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

agreed about Leafpad

#5 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:10 pm

NGIB wrote:I prefer Leafpad to both and it's the first thing I installed in MX-17 (mainly because I'm used to it)...
Well, I consider them different types (or...levels?) of editors'; but yes, I also want Leafpad. I was going to mention that in a separate post--I think the design team shouldn't have thrown out Leafpad, and hopefully will change their mind by MX 18. But no matter, I'm also used to installing a list of my own software as soon as I start.
Last edited by lonesomepoint on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Adrian wrote:Pluma looks like a nice editor, don't have experience with it, we chose a light text editor, we can always change the default one if we find a better one. What are the advantages of Pluma in your opinion over Featherpad?
MX-18 appears to have an upgraded Pluma that I'm not familiar with. (Or MX 18 uses different software that makes Pluma look different, I'm not sure which.) It used to look quite similar to Featherpad; but as it is, Pluma is slightly more complex than Featherpad; Pluma has more tools, such as a spell checker. (I think it had the spell checker before; I just ignored it.) I didn't want either of those, the new look or the increasing complexity; and between them, I can already tell I'm probably going to cheerfully keep Featherpad.

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Stevo wrote:I'll build a new version from git, since that adds an auto-save feature.
Yes, please do, if Featherpad doesn't have one. Pluma has one and that makes it highly desirable. That's probably the main thing it has over Featherpad.

richb
Administrator

#8 Post by richb » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:40 pm

lonesomepoint wrote:
Stevo wrote:I'll build a new version from git, since that adds an auto-save feature.
Yes, please do, if Featherpad doesn't have one. Pluma has one and that makes it highly desirable. That's probably the main thing it has over Featherpad.
And spell check if it has it.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by Adrian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:33 pm

I like the spellcheck. That's a great extra feature over featherpad.

TJ Hoye
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by TJ Hoye » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm

featherpad has a number of nice features for a lightweight text editor, see for example:

https://github.com/tsujan/FeatherPad

I especially like its syntax highlighter which makes it easier to read bash scripts.
64-bit MX-17.1 LiveUSB boot/Frugal install with lz4 remastering, using 4.15.0-1 kernel
on dual-cpu Dell 1545 laptop with 4Gb ram, 200Gb hdd, Broadcom wifi with wl driver, and Intel GM45 Graphics.

Return to “MX Help”