-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX16.1 and persistence on read-only NTFS volumes

Help for Current Versions of MX
bwich12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

MX16.1 and persistence on read-only NTFS volumes

#1 Post by bwich12 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 am

(I assume this issue -- no rw access for NTFS rootfs files -- has been addressed in MX-17. Alas, with the current Meltdown/Spectre shenanigans and also with too many other things on my plate I will probably not be able to look into MX-17 this side of summer. So I am stuck with MX-16.1, updated from MX-16, and its inability to save changes into the rootfs file if the latter is located on an NTFS volume.)

So based on viewtopic.php?f=108&t=41084&p=401208#p401208 (this post (19) and especially post 20), I have tried to get persistence working under NTFS. I have changed just one line (2239) in file initrd.gz/init from:

Code: Select all

log_cmd mount -t ntfs -o umask=000,ro $dev "$mp" 2>/dev/null ;;
to:

Code: Select all

log_cmd mount -t ntfs -o umask=000,rw $dev "$mp" 2>/dev/null ;;
I have done some preliminary tests with my MX-16.1 version installed frugally on an NTFS drive and root persistence now seems to work. So far so good, then... but I am not sure whether this change is sufficient or whether I am courting disaster. (I could try to backport the relevant changes from the MX-17 init to the MX-16 version but this looks rather daunting and would cost a lot of time, defeating the search for a quick, practical solution until that time when I can install MX-17.)

Return to “MX Help”