-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

kernel options

Help for Current Versions of MX
anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: kernel options

#61 Post by anticapitalista » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 am

Stevo wrote:I haven't even had Tim put them in testing yet! We don't have hardly any users using a 4.15 kernel yet. But since the new patches only take effect when the code detects a 4.15 kernel, I would consider them reasonably safe to go into antiX main. In that case, we should also have them in MX main.

I think I remembered to add libelf-dev to the Depends for the 4.14 kernel headers before I handed off the source to Mike to build. That seems to be an outstanding bug still in Debian, though maybe they expect the individual dkms packages to depend on it instead. Anyway, mx-system also depends on libelf-dev, so we currently have belt and suspenders.
I'm going to upload the following to antiX main repos.

ndiswrapper 1.61
virtualbox 5.2.6 guest debs only for 64 bit. (32 bit ones fail to build)
broadcom-sta 6.30.223.271-7mx17
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

caprea
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#62 Post by caprea » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 am

@entropyphoe
I was talking about a manual installation of 390.25 (in time debian-experimental)from the nvidia-side, where it didnt work.This actually has nothing to do with the topic

For the 4.15-kernels you need to upgrade to the 384.111 nvidia-driver from backports.You can do this with ddm-mx.
On an antix-system you have to install libelf-dev before the kernel -installation.
It also depends on libc6-dev, but this should be kicked in by the nvidia-driver.

On an mx-system libelf-dev and libc6-dev are installed by default, but you have to upgrade the nvidia-driver.

anti, just for the case it has been lost, all this knew drivers need libelf-dev and libc6-dev to build.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#63 Post by anticapitalista » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:04 am

caprea wrote: anti, just for the case it has been lost, all this knew drivers need libelf-dev and libc6-dev to build.
That is only for nvidia, right? broadcom-sta for example doesn't need libelf-dev and libc6-dev, correct?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#64 Post by entropyfoe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 am

caprea,

So, what do I need to do?

You wrote...

For the 4.15-kernels you need to upgrade to the 384.111 nvidia-driver from backports.You can do this with ddm-mx.
So, in my current MX-17 (on the 4.9.77 antix kernel) do I just upgrade the nvidia driver to the .111?
I never used the command ddm-mx. How is that different from the nvidia installer?
Then what, do I run dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms, and a update-grub?

As I wrote earlier, I have better luck with these kernel upgrades using the MX package installer.
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-17, P4=antiX-17
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#65 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 am

entropyfoe wrote:caprea,

So, what do I need to do?

You wrote...

So, in my current MX-17 (on the 4.9.77 antix kernel) do I just upgrade the nvidia driver to the .111?
I never used the command ddm-mx. How is that different from the nvidia installer?
Then what, do I run dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms, and a update-grub?

As I wrote earlier, I have better luck with these kernel upgrades using the MX package installer.
Just rerun the nvidia-installer tool (which is ddm-mx by the way) and select the debian-backports options to get the later drivers.

I'm glad the kernel upgrades work from the MX Package installer. We run a command to rebuild all -dkms packages by default on the non-debian default kernel entries in the "Popular Apps" tab.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#66 Post by entropyfoe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks d_O,

I will try that tonight when I get home.
Yea, I thought ddm-mx was the nvidia installer, but not sure.

Yes, my experience with kernel upgrades is near 100% successful with the package installer.

Slogging through on my own with synaptic and other commands is about a 50% success rate. (Success is booting through to the desktop, no black screen or blinking cursor).

What about " dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms, and a update-grub"
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-17, P4=antiX-17
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#67 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:03 am

entropyfoe wrote:Thanks d_O,

I will try that tonight when I get home.
Yea, I thought ddm-mx was the nvidia installer, but not sure.

Yes, my experience with kernel upgrades is near 100% successful with the package installer.

Slogging through on my own with synaptic and other commands is about a 50% success rate. (Success is booting through to the desktop, no black screen or blinking cursor).

What about " dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms, and a update-grub"
you will if you install the drivers before you install the kernel, at least if the kernel install doesn't trigger the rebuild automatically (some do). update-grub shouldn't be necessary, but it won't hurt anything either.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

caprea
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#68 Post by caprea » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:26 pm

@anticapitalista
OK. back from work.
Let me tell you what I did and why I'm pretty sure libelf-dev and libc6-dev are needed.

On my antix-desktop with the nvidia-card, the nvidia 384.111 was already installed for 4.10.5-kernel,
I tried to install the 4.15-kernel, this didnt work without installing libelf-dev.
Then stevo gave me the new ndiswrapper and broadcom-drivers and I took the virtual-box-guest from mx-test-repo
and on this antix-installation all drivers built fine.

Then I took my laptop without nvidia-card, choosed the mx17-installation,looked for libelf-dev, which is there by default, installed the new drivers from stevo and afterwards installed the antix-4.15-kernel.That worked flawlessly.

Then I choosed the antix-17-partition on that laptop, installed libelf-dev,installed the new drivers from stevo, afterwards the 4.15-kernel and oops, they didn't built, none of them.

So there must have been something that the nvidia-driver has kicked in on my desktop-antix-installation, which is also installed on mx17 by default.
Long story short, after looking into the broadcom-sta-source,and what is installed on mx17 by default, 5 options were left, I made a good guess

Installed libc6-dev and libelf-dev on the antix-installation and the 4.15-kernel built perfectly.

I can make a fresh install and try without libelf-dev, which maybe is only needed for the nvidia-driver, but libc6-dev sure is needed.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#69 Post by Stevo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Well, yeah, you can't compile anything without libc6, but I would have thought that dkms would have pulled in build-essential and thus libc6-dev.

Code: Select all

apt depends dkms
dkms
 |Depends: kmod
    kmod:i386
  Depends: <kldutils>
  Depends: gcc
 |Depends: make
    make-guile
 |Depends: build-essential
  Depends: dpkg-dev
Hmm, depends on either make, build-essential or dpkg-dev. So you can have make installed without libc6-dev to fullfill dkms's depends.

caprea
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#70 Post by caprea » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Made a fresh antix-installation
To get the
broadcom-sta-dkms 6.30.223.271-7mx17+2
ndiswrapper 1.61-0mx17+3
virtualbox-guest 5.2.6-dfsg-2~mx17+1
build against the 4.15 -kernel
there must be libelf-dev and libc6-dev installed

To make it clear, they build fine without libelf-dev and libc6-dev against the default 4.10.5-antix.3, linux-image-4.9.79-antix.1 and linux-image-4.14.14-antix.1

but for the building against the 4.15-kernel both are needed.

Return to “MX Help”