-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

SOLVED: Word processor and screen question.

Help for Current Versions of MX
penguin48
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

SOLVED: Word processor and screen question.

#1 Post by penguin48 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm

I have no idea what is going on here, so I'm seeking some input. The computer is a Lenovo Flex 5 1470 I have had for about a month. It has a gen 7 i5 processor, 8 gb ram, 14" 1980 x1020 touch screen, windows 10 factory install on the original 256 gb ssd (on the board), a 250 gb Western Digital blue SATA III ssd in the empty drive space that the computer came with. The second drive has MX 17 and Ubuntu 17.10. FWIW it has a backlit keyboard and fingerprint scanner.

Even though I am not a great typist, I do a lot of typing. The more I do, the worse this seems to get. While typing, seemingly out of the blue, the cursor pops up a sentence or two above where you think you are typing and starts inserting the text being typed to wherever the heck it decided to go. It has done this three times since I started typing this post, now make it four. The Windows 10 with office does not seem to do this, nor does the Ubuntu install with Libre Office, which is installed on this machine too. Make the cursor jump five times now.

There is a single line of what I think has to be what is called a screen tear, but this is the first time I have seen it in anything. The tear is no big deal as it only happens when I'm moving the display. Reading what is stationary or watching video is not an issue.

Just for the heck of it, I installed the Cinnamon desktop, same result.

The typing thing is driving me nuts. I have MX 17 on another computer which does not act like this, but does show the same screen tear, but to a lesser extent. I'm starting to wonder about this particular computer. Make the cursor jump six times as of now. :eek:
Last edited by penguin48 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NGIB
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Word processor and screen question.

#2 Post by NGIB » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:49 pm

I always disable the touchpad on my laptops as I find it can mess up typing if you brush it. I always use a USB mouse in lieu of the touchpad. I think there is an app or setting that can disable the touchpad while typing but for me I just disable it...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:50 pm

I wonder if you're touchpad is very sensitive. I've seen this happen with clickpad-style touchpads that are sensitive enough you don't even need to touch the pad to move the cursor. you could try the setting on the attached screenshot and see if it helps you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

penguin48
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by penguin48 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Usually it is something pretty obvious I manage to overlook :eek: I typically do that and I honestly thought I done that when I set everything up. Since I thought I had done that I did not double check the setting. Feeling foolish, I have slapped myself upside the head for you. Seems to have done it, thank you very much. I reread NGIB's signature twice...

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: SOLVED: Word processor and screen question.

#5 Post by Stevo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:20 pm

The little utility app is touchpad-indicator. I have mine set to automatically disable/enable the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in/removed, which is how I like it.

Return to “MX Help”