Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Open letter to the MX developers from an Ubuntu user

Help for Current Versions of MX
roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Open letter to the MX developers from an Ubuntu user

#11 Postby roadapathy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Oh, and hello to Uncle Mark! I'm a Purdue grad. Great schools!!

azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Postby azrielle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 pm

You know, it never ceases to amaze me how rabidly loyal Ubuntu fans are for Unity--which features a VERY PROMINENT left side panel (or is it a dock?)--and how many "I'm an Ubuntu user" fans roundly criticize MX for having a left side vertical panel.
Acer V5-171 i5/3317u 12GB 11.6" MX17/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e Thinkpad i3/3227u 12GB 11.6" MX17/ParrotOS 3.11 240GB SSD
Acer AO D257 n570 2GB 10" MX17/AntiX16.3 128GB SSD

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby uncle mark » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:12 pm

azrielle wrote:You know, it never ceases to amaze me how rabidly loyal Ubuntu fans are for Unity--which features a VERY PROMINENT left side panel (or is it a dock?)--and how many "I'm an Ubuntu user" fans roundly criticize MX for having a left side vertical panel.

And they're freakin' Purdue grads, too... sheesh.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Postby dolphin_oracle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 pm

roadapathy wrote:I have been using Ubuntu or Xubuntu since 2009!

The Wifi is definitely something we need to fix. Another thing, I would argue, are the lack of keyboard bindings and screenshot app configured by default. Other than that, have you seen MX? WOW! I mean, have you seen it???

It's also really fast.

I would love to change how the network-manager works, so if you have any ideas on how sort the networks by signal strength please let us know.

btw, a screenshot tool is included by default. its mapped to PrtScrn. (one button).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

penguin48
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#15 Postby penguin48 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 pm

I am in a similar situation to the OP in that it was the review by Dedomedio that prompted me to try MX. He seemingly never likes anything, including some distros I have used without his stated issues. So I had to try MX. Glad I did, I see where it may well become my daily driver. I typically use Mint, Ubuntu, or Fedora, but have tried several dozen distros.

I see basically no issues that are real issues with MX, except for one, which I used my first post here recently to get help with. This is the only thing I would ask for here in MX. That thing is the keyboard. In every other distro I have used there is a track similar to settings>keyboard>layout>options. Take this path and you can adjust many facets of key behavior. The thing I always do is to disable the caps lock. In the other distros disabling caps lock takes less time than telling somebody how to do it. If this can be done commonly in other distros, why not here? The caps lock drives me up the wall to the point where there are times I'd gladly take a hammer and chisel and physically chop the damned key out. So my request to to enable MX to modify the keyboard in the same manner as other distros.

Two things I have learned since Mint 15. One is that while distros are basically similar, they are also different. Just like people, we are all basically similar, but also very different. So different folks can choose different distros. The second thing I have learned is that when you install your first distro, you are on a path to learning a lot more about your computer and OS than you ever thought you would.That is a good thing and would not happen if all Linux was the same. So while I see where the OP is coming from, I do not completely agree with him. MX is as complete and hassle free as anything I have used.

azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Postby azrielle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:23 am

Capslock key used to drive me nuts as well. Solved it by cutting a key width piece of black gaffers tape and folding it on itself until I had about an eighth of an inch thickness, then stuck it to the capslock key. It was enough thickness so that when my left ringfinger brushed against it I knew that was the capslock not the shift key.
Acer V5-171 i5/3317u 12GB 11.6" MX17/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e Thinkpad i3/3227u 12GB 11.6" MX17/ParrotOS 3.11 240GB SSD
Acer AO D257 n570 2GB 10" MX17/AntiX16.3 128GB SSD

ChrisUK
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#17 Postby ChrisUK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:30 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:
I would love to change how the network-manager works, so if you have any ideas on how sort the networks by signal strength please let us know.

btw, a screenshot tool is included by default. its mapped to PrtScrn. (one button).

It may be possible through nmcli Typing

Code: Select all

nmcli device wifi list
in the terminal gives you a list sorted by signal strength. Although I've not researched how/if the GUI is affected.

xali
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#18 Postby xali » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:56 am

very nice that alpie gave his feedback, it is interesting to see other users view. therefore i very much disagree with most the issues he stated, especially about the text issue. i totally agree with richb on that. and keep it simple (yet useful), keep it fast

qwertyblahblah
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#19 Postby qwertyblahblah » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:10 am

I've grown to like seeing the text details at boot, but when I first came to MX I found it not just off-putting but confusing and even got the impression that something was wrong. MX should simply move to a splash boot screen as almost every other distro uses, with the text info available to view for those who want it by pressing a key, like ESC.

Similarly the updater, it just takes clicking the icon when it's green and pressing y, it's not complicated, but it might be nice if it's expanded into a graphical utility, so the most basic of users can more comfortably grasp what it's doing.

I too think the vertical panel is... hideous. It's not just me and a few others, so many new users reviewing MX have brought it up, probably a significant majority don't like it. It's not necessary to change because of course it's a one-click fix in Tweak, but MX should probably heed the feedback and move to horizontal by default going forward anyway. More of an issue as the OP said is new users not knowing it's in Tweak where the panel display can be changed. Us experienced MX users shouldn't assume it's obvious. I think Linux Youtuber Chris Were's suggestion makes sense: that the Welcome Screen include a description of a few words about each selection under the icon. MX's verbiage of Tools, Tweak, and Popular Apps is not obvious, and indications of what they are and why new users might want to click on them at first start would be helpful. When I first tried MX the first thing I wanted to do was change the panel display, and I spent probably 15 minutes going through the xfce panel options, and my attempt at moving it ended up mangled, before I realised there was an easier way.

Again I'm now used to everything and don't personally care, but I'll also add that with so many well-thought-out, distinct MX Tools that would be appreciated by basic users it seems strange that overly techie language is used for them. Just describing a utility or app as a GUI seems like nerdspeak to a lot of people. Only someone advanced enough to know there can be alternatives to graphical user interfaces uses the term 'GUI'!

I would prefer everything remain as is than MX target the lowest common denominator and become dumbed-down and hand-holdy, like Linux Lite, and I and I'm sure most others definitely like the clean elegance of (xfce) MX over operating systems/distros/environments that are so graphically-intensive that they not just look cartoonish but are cumbersome and slower to navigate. But moderate graphical changes with the boot screen and possibly updater and a few changes in labelling and description of the MX apps should be helpful and more appealing for new users, and anyone using MX.

I don't get any criticism about the installer. I've tested a dozen+ distros, and the MX installer is the quickest and easiest I've come across, and I like that it allows configurations that many installers don't.

The other comments as others have explained aren't really issues, or aren't related to MX specifically.

asqwerth
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#20 Postby asqwerth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 am

Good conversation going on.

I'm glad that there are many members interested enough in the continued development and direction of MX to put forth their views and critique.

Would be good to hear from more members, both new and old.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “MX Help”