-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Unable to open LibreOffice Documents on Network Shares - Solved

Help for Current Versions of MX
tinman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Unable to open LibreOffice Documents on Network Shares - Solved

#1 Post by tinman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:56 pm

I am unable to open libreoffice documents on a network share. I can open any other type of file. I can copy a document from the share drive to the documents folder on this computer and then open/edit/save them but when I try to open a document from the share drive all it doesn't even open Libre Office. I had a similar problem with MX16 and had to Change X-GIO-NoFuse=true to X-GIO-NoFuse=false. That did not work this time. Now I get General input/output error while accessing /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share. Unsure what to do next.

HP8300
Kernel: 4.13.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-17_x64 Horizon December 15, 2017
Quad core Intel Core i5-3570 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.4% used)
Last edited by tinman on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

paul1149
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Unable to open LibreOffice Documents on Network Shares

#2 Post by paul1149 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Can you edit a .txt file from the share?

tinman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by tinman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:15 pm

paul1149 wrote:Can you edit a .txt file from the share?
Yes.

paul1149
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by paul1149 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 pm

There was a minor version or two of LO that had problems with "remote" documents, not sure if LAN would qualify. Are you running a recent version? I have 6.0 beta here, and I don't see the problem.

el.Barto
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by el.Barto » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:51 pm

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by timkb4cq » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:07 pm

The LibreOffice version in Debian-Backports has this fixed again.
Use MX-Tools -> Package Installer -> Full App Catalog -> Debian Backports Repo and select libreoffice to upgrade. The rest of the libreoffice files will upgrade automatically as dependencies.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

tinman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by tinman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 am

timkb4cq wrote:The LibreOffice version in Debian-Backports has this fixed again.
Use MX-Tools -> Package Installer -> Full App Catalog -> Debian Backports Repo and select libreoffice to upgrade. The rest of the libreoffice files will upgrade automatically as dependencies.
I have installed libreoffice from the backports repo. That just returned me to the original condition. When I try to open a .ODS file located on a samba share for example, from Thunar I just get the spinning wheel for a while and then the file does not open. If I try to open it from LibreOffice it does not open. If I then Change X-GIO-NoFuse=true to X-GIO-NoFuse=false in the below files. It gives me General input/output error while accessing /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share.

/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-base.desktop /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-math.desktop
/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-calc.desktop /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-startcenter.desktop
/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-draw.desktop /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-writer.desktop
/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-impress.desktop /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-xsltfilter.desktop

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by timkb4cq » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 am

Well, it was working here, so I retested on a liveUSB session.
Turns out one of the things I had tried unsuccessfully before I upgraded Libreoffice is also necessary.
There's no need to change the .desktop files. What is necessary is to install the libreoffice-gnome package (from backports, since it has to match the libreoffice version).
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

tinman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by tinman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 am

timkb4cq wrote:Well, it was working here, so I retested on a liveUSB session.
Turns out one of the things I had tried unsuccessfully before I upgraded Libreoffice is also necessary.
There's no need to change the .desktop files. What is necessary is to install the libreoffice-gnome package (from backports, since it has to match the libreoffice version).
That worked. Thanks for the help.

Return to “MX Help”