Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

MX-17 Live USB unable to create persistence files during boot

Help for Current Versions of MX
vksan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

MX-17 Live USB unable to create persistence files during boot

#1 Postby vksan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm

I have MX-17 installed on an old Dell Vostro laptop. (Before I installed MX-17, I had MX-16 installed. The MX-17 was a fresh install.)

I decided to try the Live USB feature (something I have wanted to do for awhile). I created a Snapshot of my installation. I chose Preserving accounts. I used Live USB Maker GUI. I chose the snapshot I created. I chose Normal mode.

I booted into the Live USB on the Vostro. I chose F3 Timezone. I chose F5 persist_all (and subsequent attempts persist_static). During the boot, I am asked to create a rootfs persistence file. During my first attempt I clicked on Enter (to accept the default) and later attempts I chose 2, to create custom.

In all cases, the following appears: Failed to create filesystem. Deleting rootfs file. Disable root persistence.

The same occurs when I try to make the homefs persistence file.

I booted into the Live USB on a Dell desktop with the same result. I have tried a different flash drive with the same result. Both flash drives are SanDisk. One an USB 3. One an USB 2.

If I use F8 to save my F key options, they are saved. I see them on subsequent boots.

After booting into MX-17 on the flash drive, I can use the MX Remaster Control Center to create rootfs and homefs files. When I reboot, the root persistence file is identified and I am presented to copy files to the home persistence device. I chose y. It appears nothing is copied, because I see directory not found (if you need the exact language, please let me know). After I log in, I am at the default desktop, with MX Welcome (confirmation nothing was copied?). All my customizations are gone.

Thus, during boot, two different flash drives on two different computers do not want to create or write to the flash drives, with the exception of F8.

I can't help but think I am missing something very simple.

Thank you.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX-17 Live USB unable to create persistence files during boot

#2 Postby dolphin_oracle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm

What size is your snapshot iso file, and what size is your usb?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

vksan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Postby vksan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Snapshot: 1.4GB.

USB 3 flash drive: 16GB.

USB 2 flash drive: 4GB.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby skidoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Sandisk drives (specifically, "Sandisk Ultra Fit" drives) have been found to be problematic https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker/blob/master/live-usb-maker#L1114
Undocumented... I swore off using "Sandisk Cruzer" due to repeated problems when trying to use 'em as liveboot devices (any distro, not just antiX)

persist_all
[...]
In all cases, the following appears: Failed to create filesystem. Deleting rootfs file. Disable root persistence.

Whatif, on the installed system, /home had been symlinked? In that case, can a live homefs still be created and utilized?
To narrow down the problem, I would set aside persist_all for the moment and instead attempt just persist_root

xref:
another mysterious rootfs creation failure involving a "sandisk 32gb ultra OT" drive: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=43538&start=10#p431012 (post #14)

vksan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Postby vksan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:42 pm

skidoo wrote:Sandisk drives (specifically, "Sandisk Ultra Fit" drives) have been found to be problematic

Before starting this process, I had been taking notes from the manual (and antiX's info), this forum and antiX's forum, and dolphin_oracle's excellent videos. The one thing that did give me concern was the references to SanDisks not working. The USB 2, 4GB is a Cruzer. The USB 3, 16GB is an Ultra (just an Ultra, not an Ultra Fit or Ultra OTG, but it may not make a difference).

Thank you.

NGIB
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby NGIB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:18 am

I have tried 3 different brands of USB sticks and I have no joy with any of them as the system refuses to create the persistence files on boot. The drives are 8GB and 16GB and are Kingston, Centon, and Sandisk - all USB 2.0. Have tried booting all with persist_all option and I am prompted to create the files on boot, make selections that would fit the drive sizes, and then receive the failed to create messages.

Snapshot file is fresh made (with all latest updates) and is 1.2GB in size.
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Postby tascoast » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 am

I always do a test boot with a Live USB without persistence, then use the GUI Remaster tool to create the desired partitions. It also provides some feedback that the partitions are being created and an opportunity to select rootfs and homefs sizes and how saves are made eg 1. Automatic...

Then I reboot and use F-5/all-persist, being asked to set root and user passwords... as I recall offhand...

I regularly use a 4GB Scandisk USB with a swing cover and blinky blue light for installs, and a slimmer 16GB of same brand for running Live with persistence. The same process above is how I would set up a snapshot btw.

I've possibly formatted the 4GB USB with Gparted once or twice....also finding a USB stick will somehow 'resist' the Live USB maker or similar applications from properly creating the file system as needed was probably the reason so worth trying to break the USB out of some glitch?

I would try a reformat of one USB and then booting live, then creating the file system and restarting, rather than the 'express' option via the command via the Live bootloader, as this always seems reliable for me over many USB installs and live running systems as backup.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

NGIB
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Postby NGIB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 am

So if the live-USB tool does not work correctly, perhaps these options should be removed so folks are not led astray?

I was just trying this as an experiment as I really don't run a live system from USB as it's to slow. I was toying with the idea of creating one with persistence just as a testbed. I was told here that the live-USB tool was great at doing this so I thought I'd give it a try...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

richb
Administrator

#9 Postby richb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:14 am

I can only say I have had no trouble with static persist and also using the ram option, (forgot the exact terminology). I never had to create partitions on the USB ahead of time, and running live is very fast in my case with USB 3.0 and very acceptable with USB 2.0.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Postby dolphin_oracle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 am

Is the problem only with liveusb made from a snapshot iso? Have kernels been updated and if so to what?

Are there any failures with the release iso?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

Return to “MX Help”