Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.

• MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17.1 Final release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

Predicted RAM Requirements for the future

Help for Current Versions of MX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Predicted RAM Requirements for the future

#11 Postby cyrilus31 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:28 am

chrispop99 wrote:For the things you use your machines for, 2GB is enough.

It's extremely unlikely your machines will be in use in 20 years time. Even if the hardware survives that long, operating systems will have evolved to work with more modern hardware, and older stuff will be left behind. For example, a Pentium 3 CPU from 18 years ago will still accept a Linux install, but no modern web browser will run on it, so for most folk it would be useless.

Save the money towards newer hardware when your existing machines die!

Honestly it depends on what you do with your laptop. My oldest is a Dell Inspiron (15 years old) : 2go of ram max, desktop P4 inside. antiX and even MX function Ok, but using a web browser is sometimes painful especially when I open more than 2-3 tabs. Yet I can use libreoffice, and do many things and I keep this one cause I love maintaining old hardware.
The fact is that computer power had a tremendous progression during the 90s and the beginning of 2000. But for everyday use (no videogames, nor highly demanding programs) you won't see the difference between today and 10 years old CPU. As for ram, I'm sure that 2 to 4Go will be far enough in the next 10 years.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Postby bwich12 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 am

Ask Bill Gates, he knows a thing or two about RAM requirements. (Though it actually seems he never uttered this famous 640-KB quote.)

Seriously, I think that we are SLOWLY getting to the point where both CPU performance and RAM requirements are reaching a plateau that is "good enough" for most people (not hard-core gamers or Bitcoin miners, of course).

For decades I used to switch my two main PCs every 5 or 6 years to the then fastest processor -- always Intel :-( --, but I can see that my current HW will last significantly longer than that (so long as I can get security updates for the most important software apps) and that replacing it in a few years' time with a then mid-range CPU will be more than enough. Same for RAM. On machines that use VMs I have Core i5s with 8GB or 12GB running 64-bit hosts, on the others Core i3s with 4GB running 32GB hosts. That is plenty for the foreseeable future. IMHO and YMMV.

Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#13 Postby kb50 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm

So that MX sets Swap file at 2GB is intentional, and not based on Hibernation or computer installed ram?
My system has 12GB with up to 24GB (HP Pegatron Motherboard) and Core I7.
So should I boot the live DVD/USB and use Gparted, to resize the main partition, and then recreate the Swap Partition to 12GB roughly or higher?
Performance is the goal, and wanting apps to open fast and not have to wait.
In reference to that issue, one thing I do notice is that when waking up from standby, the system does act same as if you had just booted into it. I.E. Chrome and other apps, initially take a while to load up again.
As Chrome is supposed to be running in the background, and in fact does show it in the Notification Area. I would like to keep the system running to immediately pop up Chrome and other recently used apps, if possible. Not the ones that I had not launched but ones I had. Mostly Chrome, perhaps Thunderbird.

#14 Postby richb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:10 pm

I have 16 Gb and a 6 Gb swap partition that rarely gets used. Typical RAM usage is 2 to 3 Gb but rarely do I have more than three apps open. Two Gb is a bit lean with the Ram you have so yes set up a larger swap partition. Whether 12 Gb or less is up to you based on what your typical ram usage is. As far as recovery from suspend, I have not noticed much of a delay but I have not really paid much attention.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#15 Postby greyowl » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 am

Everyone, thank you for the comments. They are helpful. I have purchased the additional RAM.

#16 Postby Pierre » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:39 am

getting some additional RAM is always the suggested upgrade.

however, having said that bit, getting that extra RAM is often somewhat tricky,,
as in, say, some Laptop is sold in some Local Electrical Store,
and just a few years later, you now wish to upgrade that RAM,, and it's not available:
- at least locally, anyways.

so so, you go on-line,, and wind up on eBay as that's where lots of used RAM end up.
& the main sellers are CONUS based :eek:
- their price is close to reasonable, but the Postage Price is nearly the Same Amount.

so, you look at eBay.uk to see if your RAM type is available over there,
- sometimes it is :crossfingers: sometime it's not :mad:

you wouldn't believe what I've paid for some RAM upgrade,
& just because it was only available from CONUS :alien:

but, even so, that RAM upgrade is still what I've suggested doing, for some OPs machine.

Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#17 Postby greyowl » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:48 am

Thanks for the caution. I will be careful.

Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#18 Postby kb50 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 am

Well I would chalk up lifespan, to say that while in 20 years, they will need new hard drives, and perhaps LCD displays. LED displays will only expect to last for 15 years. Now those in electronics, all know there is no average lifespan.
While not much used, your computer can be a time capsule. But in heavy use that probably would change.
While my TRS-80 Model 4P is working today, and has only had 2 parts of it repaired, the odds that 20 more years from now, that it still works, are unpredictable.
Consider I recently restored a Williams Pinball from 1967 to perfectly good working order. But the odds that it will last another 50 years is less than likely.

Casting all of that aside, if the system is running fine with only 2GB of Ram, then adding more ram is not going to make a difference.
By the time in the next 2 years that the hard drive will fail, and then eventually the cooler fan will fail. See anything mechanical will eventually fail.
The DVD drive will fail, as the laser wears out over time.
Mechanically the gears in the sled motor will fail. Keys will wear out, and hinges of the display will slowly bind and break the plastic of the case.
So like car, its mileage will someday mean you will eventually have to replace it.

Its also hard to predict where MX-17 will be in 20 years. Will it even exist? They will be on MX-100 or some such thing, and the entire OS will hold requirements way above the 2GB of ram or even 4GB of ram.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Postby danielson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:02 am

Have 16Gs of RAM on a 240G SSD (HP Elitebook 8460p) and everything on btrfs (no swap partition) to avoid read/writes.
So far, the only thing that fluctuates is the cpu which generally sits at 15 when all is calm.
RAM wise, nothing more than 4G so far (but i don't do much more than Youtube, LibreOffice and a game of Freecell).

Thing i'm looking for is an app like Flux for the eyes in software repo.
Update: did manual installation of Flux as per https://justgetflux.com/linux.html and it appears to be doing good so far! :)
Distro: MX-17_x64 Horizon
Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p
CPU: Dual core Intel i5-2520M.
Office: LibreOffice.
Browser: Firefox (Quantum), Vivaldi (Snapshot).

Return to “MX Help”