Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

Help for Current Versions of MX
Message
Author
imafraidknot
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:32 pm

mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#1 Post by imafraidknot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Hej,

I use to remaster mx-16 on an usb-stick, which went smooth until December updates. From then the stick boots fine with intel graphics driver and uses 1440x900@60Hz resolution.
fom inxi -F

Code: Select all

Graphics:
...
drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting, fbdev, vesa
after remastering the stick it will boot with

Code: Select all

Graphics:
...
drivers: intel, vesa (unloaded: modesetting, fbdev
and the highest resolution will be only 1280x1024@0Hz. Which distorts the display unnecessary and renders it useless for the purpose.

I tried some blacklist-stuff in vain.

Can I solve that somehow or do I have to wait for an update that will fix it?

cheerio bob

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9992
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm

check to see if you have a /etc/xorg/xorg.conf file, and if so, remove/rename it.

also check your boot options to make sure you aren't using one of the safe/failsafe boot parameters.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

imafraidknot
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#3 Post by imafraidknot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm

It's directly from the mx-iso, as far as I remember there was no xorg.conf.
The only boot-options are "quiet norepo=de,fr"

No special settings, as mentioned before I used the same procedure from 2016 and it was always working out of the box.

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9992
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:30 pm

imafraidknot wrote:It's directly from the mx-iso, as far as I remember there was no xorg.conf.
The only boot-options are "quiet norepo=de,fr"

No special settings, as mentioned before I used the same procedure from 2016 and it was always working out of the box.
generally there are only a couple of ways for vesa to be loaded automatically.

1. your chipset doesn't support another driver (which doesn't appear to be the case here)

or

2. somehow the vesa driver is forced to load either by a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d or by a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

I thought the remaster process was supposed to exclude those though (at least /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf *can* be generated on the fly. if that's the case, we need to figure out why.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

imafraidknot
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#5 Post by imafraidknot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:43 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote: 2. somehow the vesa driver is forced to load either by a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d or by a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

I thought the remaster process was supposed to exclude those though (at least /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf *can* be generated on the fly. if that's the case, we need to figure out why.
At the moment i can't take a look at the stick, but the first thing I was looking for was a "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file which didn't exist.
What could there be with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d?

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9992
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 pm

imafraidknot wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote: 2. somehow the vesa driver is forced to load either by a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d or by a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

I thought the remaster process was supposed to exclude those though (at least /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf *can* be generated on the fly. if that's the case, we need to figure out why.
At the moment i can't take a look at the stick, but the first thing I was looking for was a "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file which didn't exist.
What could there be with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d?
no idea, but its another area that is sourced. just looking for odd stuff now.

you didn't do an update with the test repo enabled did you?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

imafraidknot
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#7 Post by imafraidknot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:30 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
imafraidknot wrote:At the moment i can't take a look at the stick, but the first thing I was looking for was a "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file which didn't exist.
What could there be with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d?
no idea, but its another area that is sourced. just looking for odd stuff now.

you didn't do an update with the test repo enabled did you?
odd stuff sounds reasonable!
test repo? Even didn't know that it exists.

imafraidknot
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#8 Post by imafraidknot » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 pm

I can confirm on a different computer w/intel graphics there is no xorg.conf. And also vesa loaded.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d contains only synaptics something.

On that different computer (non pae) I just tried to prepare an mx16.1-stick but that fails running out of memory. Unfortunately it eats all the memory (~1Gig). What a pity. Have to rethink what to do with that machine.

User avatar
azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 am

Re: mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#9 Post by azrielle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 am

I have found the November update to MX16.1 to be exceptionally functional and stable. Why not revert to that, andthen do an internal monthly update?
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB 14.1" MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB 12.5" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD

imafraidknot
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: mx-16 December updates mix up graphics driver on remaster

#10 Post by imafraidknot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:48 pm

azrielle wrote:I have found the November update to MX16.1 to be exceptionally functional and stable. Why not revert to that, andthen do an internal monthly update?
I use November MX16.1 and internal monthly update. It has been working until I installed December updates.

Post Reply

Return to “MX Help”