Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

MX-17 Live Static Persistence Issues

Help for Current Versions of MX
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX-17 Live Static Persistence Issues

#11 Postby dolphin_oracle » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Ok did some testing.

1. exfat formated 128 mb usb stick, 1 large partition.

2. latest rufus 2.18

3. created the stick in windows.

4. ran the persistence routine.

Here's what I learned.

rufus can't create a bootable iso with exfat partitions, at least that option was always greyed out on my system. I had to choose another fileystem. if you go with the defaults, you get a fat32/vfat filesystem.

Now, a fat32/vfat filesystem has a file size limit of 4GB. Its a limitation of the filesystem and one reason why windows doesn't use it anymore. So the persistence file itself cannot be larger than 4GB. So the system on mx17 (and I suspect antiX 17) will not create a rootfs persistence file any larger than 4GB because its doomed to failure. This is proper.

However, there must be a bug, because in fact it will offer to create a homefs file of 8GB. which should be doomed to failure as well. on a fat32/vfat fileystem, those files should not be any larger than 4GB.

Of course, unless I'm missing something. But I do believe the offer of a 8GB homefs file is a bug, and the 4GB rootfs is working as intended.

As to MX16, those files maxed out at 6GB, so you couldn't have any larger than that on the old system, not matter what size drive and filesystem you might have used. Maybe the checks didn't work as well on the earlier version or something.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

d.o.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

ri2tech
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#12 Postby ri2tech » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:16 am

i have tried many ways for creating a 32 gb live usb with persistent static but all failed. I have tried rufus, live-usb-maker. Nothing worked. finally i found a way to deal with this issue using tool 'winsetupfromusb-1-8'. Though it is a tool for creating a multiboot usb, it is working in some way. created two partition with fat and ext4 partition and labled the ext4 partition as MX-Persist. created live usb using 'winsetupfromusb-1-8'. While booting, I selected the options (F4) to boot from usb and persistent as static (F5) . Though i had to perform this step at every time booting, it working for me.

Live-Usb-Maker is great tool and it would be great if it allows us to select a partition in the usb drive to install. So that we can use FAT partition and could be used with windows.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Postby skidoo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:46 pm

all failed. I have tried rufus, live-usb-maker. Nothing worked.
FWIW, across versions I've participated as a betatester & found that rufus consistently works, live-usb-maker consistently works. I only test "legacy" (not (u)efi). Perhaps you've discovered an untested efi -specific edge case?

labled the ext4 partition as MX-Persist.
Maybe you've been exposed to one or more various distros which utilize the "casper" persistence mechanism, demanding use of a separate persistence partition and/or a predefined label (persistence, persistent).

FYI, the antiX/MX mechanism doesn't need a separate persistence partition.

i have tried many ways for creating a 32 gb live usb with persistent static but
but apparently chose a "way" which presented the boot media as read-only so, yeah, the F8(Save) bootmenu option was unavailable and you wound up "had to perform this step at every time booting".

Live-Usb-Maker [...] it would be great if
It already is great. Expanding the scope of the tool -- to cover every conceivable edge-case -- would render it greatly confusing to use, IMO.

ri2tech
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#14 Postby ri2tech » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:18 am

Thanks for the reply. I have tried my 8 GB Transcend pendrive and it is working. It is created using live-usb-maker using virtual box help. But I am unable to get it work with the sandisk 32gb ultra OTG pendrive.
I have started migrating my home computers to Antix and MX distro. Thanks for the wonderful work team.

Return to “MX Help”