-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX Frugal with Persistance

Help for Current Versions of MX
spandey
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

MX Frugal with Persistance

#1 Post by spandey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:06 am

I have not used MX Frugal so need guidance. My Mx-16 install is running of my SSD and like to have MX17 as Frugal.
Can I have Frugal on SSD directory and changes on a USB (formatted ext4) like antix ?
I am little confused about GRUB2 entry for MX Frugal. Can I get an example of GRUB2 entry for Frugal install.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX Frugal with Persistance

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:36 am

I've never tried it, but we do have a Wiki entry:

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/frugal-installation

Is there nothing in the antiX FAQs?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by BitJam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:41 am

spandey wrote:Can I have Frugal on SSD directory and changes on a USB (formatted ext4) like antix ?
Yes you can. MX uses the antiX live system so almost anything you can do with antiX live you can also do with MX live. Although to put changes on a different device requires extra boot parameters since the default is to save the changes on the frugal device (the ssd).
I am little confused about GRUB2 entry for MX Frugal. Can I get an example of GRUB2 entry for Frugal install.
Starting with antiX-17, we now make a small "grub.entry" file in the frugal directory that contains the recommended Grub2 entry to boot into the frugal install. FWIW, that file is created using this template:

Code: Select all

menuentry "$DISTRO_PRETTY_NAME Frugal Install" {
    search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid $uuid
    linux /$bdir/vmlinuz bdir=$bdir buuid=$uuid $(gather_frugal_cmdline)
    initrd /$bdir/initrd.gz
}
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:57 am

Dropped those Q/A in the Wiki article I cited.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

spandey
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by spandey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks for all the info. MX wiki says Partition will be labeled MX-Frugal but Antix doesn't have such requirement.

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by BitJam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 pm

spandey wrote:Thanks for all the info. MX wiki says Partition will be labeled MX-Frugal but Antix doesn't have such requirement.
In both antiX and MX we give you the option of labeling the frugal partition "antiX-Frugal". It used to be "MX-Frugal" for MX and "antiX-Frugal" for antiX but now the names are the same which makes it easier for antiX and MX frugal installs to share the same partition. The label is handy if you want to continue to boot frugal via the live media. If you use one of the frugal boot options then we will look for partitions named "antiX-Frugal" to boot from. If there are no partitions with that label (and if you haven't supplied an "fdev=" or "flab=" or "fuuid=" boot parameter) then we will present you with a menu of partitions from which you can select the partition the frugal install is on. Using the "antiX-Frugal" partition label lets you skip this menu.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Return to “MX Help”