News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Couple of comments re Frugal install

Help for Current Versions of MX
BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Couple of comments re Frugal install

Post by BitJam » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Thank you for the testimonial calinb! I'm glad it is working out for you.

We've made some improvements to frugal and frugal on NTFS in antiX-17. These should carry over to MX-17. For example if you are using a live-usb to boot into the frugal system then "F8 Save" should work.
calinb wrote:I still don't know how often I should "re-master" after installing all my CAD software or whether re-mastering is even necessary (or should I even brave it).
In general, it is good to do a remaster. IMO the biggest downside is that it takes a number of minutes to run. One of the great things about doing a remaster is it essentially makes a snapshot of your system as it is now and you can return to the current system with the "rollback" cheat. There is no simple cheat to go back forward again but this has almost never come up. I could give you simple command line instructions to do it.

OTOH, if you are not installing or upgrading packages then a remaster is probably not going to provide you much benefit. If you use dynamic root persistence and the delay during persist-save or during boot as the contents of rootfs get copied to and from RAM gets annoying then you should probably do a remaster. Dynamic root persistence will save all the file system changes in RAM when the system is running so as more space is used inside of rootfs, more RAM will be used when the system is running. Doing a remaster will reset this RAM usage back close to zero.

This command will show you how much root persistence storage is being used:

Code: Select all

sudo df -h | egrep "Size|persist-root"
I enabled root persistence to test this and here is the result:

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop1      969M  4.2M  899M   1% /live/persist-root
I made a 1 Gig rootfs file. There is a total of 969M available. The rest (about 5%) is overhead used by the filesystem itself. Of that 969M, only 4.2M is being used so there is no need to remaster. If the usage gets up to about 50% then I would remaster but there may be reasons to do it sooner than that.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

calinb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Couple of comments re Frugal install

Post by calinb » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:54 am

BitJam wrote:Thank you for the testimonial calinb! I'm glad it is working out for you.
As always, thanks for your development efforts and your help!
BitJam wrote: We've made some improvements to frugal and frugal on NTFS in antiX-17. These should carry over to MX-17. For example if you are using a live-usb to boot into the frugal system then "F8 Save" should work.
I am using a live-usb for boot so maybe I'll give antiX-17 a try sometime soon to eliminate needing to select frugal.

Thanks for the re-mastering tips. The RAM copy time is currently quite low but I'll try the commands you suggested too.

Return to “MX Help”