-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Help with OpenGL drivers

Help for Current Versions of MX
kenlycour
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Help with OpenGL drivers

#1 Post by kenlycour » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:09 am

Hi,

I have a question regarding the OpenGl drivers

The system I am using is about 5 years old, with ATI Radeon HD 4850 GPU

According to https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary

Drivers

The proprietary "AMD Catalyst Linux Graphics Driver" (aka fglrx) provides optimized hardware acceleration of OpenGL applications via a direct-rendering X server. It is a binary-only Xorg driver requiring a Linux kernel module for its use.

One driver version is available for Debian 8 "Jessie":

AMD Catalyst 14.9 (supported devices)
For Radeon R9 200 series, Radeon R7 200 series, Radeon HD 8000, Radeon HD 7000, Radeon HD 6000 and Radeon HD 5000 GPUs.

The AMD Catalyst Legacy driver - supporting the Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series - is not available for Debian 8 "Jessie", as upstream has not updated the driver for newer Xorg releases (726500).

(does this mean there is no legacy driver support for ATI)

I installed steam and tried playing few games but I keep getting error message "Required OpenGL extension "GL_EXT_texture_compression_e3tc" is not supported. Please update your OpenGL driver"

How do I update the OpenGL drivers?

would appreciate your advice

Regards,
Ken

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Help with OpenGL drivers

#2 Post by lucky9 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:42 am

Usually under System there is an AMD/ATi driver installer. I've only used this method once but seems reliable from other reports. I did have to do a cold restart to complete the installation. I was using an R7 card if I remember correctly.

Or===In a Terminal you can su to root and enter sgfxi. You do have to get out of the GUI by doing a Ctrl+Alt+F1 first.
Either way you follow the instructions. I almost forgot that you may have to do this (the sgfxi) a second time for things to 'jell'. I think I have seen a report that a third time was necessary with this method. But I suspect there were other than normal factors involved.

I cannot comment on legacy support. The default Open Software Drivers are pretty good in both Nvidia and AMD/ATi.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kenlycour
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by kenlycour » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:25 am

I did the update using the ATI driver installer but when i run steam its keep getting the same message "Required OpenGL extension "GL_EXT_texture_compression_e3tc" is not supported. Please update your OpenGL driver"

Install drivers for: ati
Start at (m/d/y): 01/19/2017 18:16:50
===================================
4850 is number
Radeon HD 4850 needs driver xserver-xorg-video-radeon
Candidate is: 1:7.7.0-1mx150+1
Installed is: 1:7.7.0-1mx150+1
ati/amd driver already installed

I am new to Linux so the other method you mentioned I didn't try as it seems a complicated for me.. I will grateful if you would direct me to a forum where they have it steps or screenshots so it would be easier for me to follow.. I have look around but haven't come across any so far
Regards

kenlycour
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by kenlycour » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:42 am

I am also experiencing screen tearing problem.. I read its also due to my driver problem.. I did fine some solution for Ubanto based os but nothing for debian when it comes old AMD cards (Radeon HD 4850)

Please advice

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:57 am

for the OpenGL thing, try installing libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 via synaptic. It is the library with the particular texture compression support you are looking for.

I think I had this problem long long ago...it wasn't steam itself but a steam game, maybe couterstrike or half-life 2. i don't remember which.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by kmathern » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:03 am

kenlycour wrote:Drivers

The AMD Catalyst Legacy driver - supporting the Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series - is not available for Debian 8 "Jessie", as upstream has not updated the driver for newer Xorg releases (726500).

(does this mean there is no legacy driver support for ATI)
Yup, there is no ATI legacy driver for Debian 8 "Jessie" (and also MX15 & MX16 since they're based on Jessie).

The ATI legacy driver only supports up to Xorg 1.12, Jessie uses Xorg 1.16.x, so for MX15 & MX16 the free Xorg radeon driver is pretty much the only/best choice.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:30 am

There's also a patent-encumbered (patent expires this year) s3tc library that can be installed from deb-multimedia. The usual warnings for that repo apply.

kenlycour
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by kenlycour » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:for the OpenGL thing, try installing libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 via synaptic. It is the library with the particular texture compression support you are looking for.

I think I had this problem long long ago...it wasn't steam itself but a steam game, maybe couterstrike or half-life 2. i don't remember which.

Thanks dolphin_oracle it works :-) ... any suggestions for the screen tearing issue

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:40 am

kenlycour wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:for the OpenGL thing, try installing libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 via synaptic. It is the library with the particular texture compression support you are looking for.

Thanks dolphin_oracle it works :-) ... any suggestions for the screen tearing issue
i don't know much about the amd drivers, but you might try a couple of things.

1. turn off the xfce compositor

2. enable vsync in the catalyst control center (this is a generic tip for screen tearing issues in an OS)

richb in the forum here runs fglrx so maybe he can pitch in on that one. Might be wise to start a new thread, with "fglrx screen tearing" or something in the title. Unfortunately, upstream development of fglrx is pretty much at an end.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:02 pm

The ATI Catalyst Control Center has a specific setting for tearing. I have not had to use it as I never had an issue with my R7. It is under Display Options. Try enabling Tear Free Desktop
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “MX Help”