News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installing redshift [solved]

Help for Current Versions of MX
vinoman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Installing redshift [solved]

Post by vinoman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:12 am

I installed Redshift, rebooted but Redshift does not open. What could be missing?
Last edited by vinoman on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

derrotmax
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Installing redshift

Post by derrotmax » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 am

Redshift wants geoclue-2.0 installed as well, which you can find in the stable repository of the package manager.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sunrat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:18 am

Probably need redshift-gtk as well to give you an icon in the panel with which to control it.

vinoman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by vinoman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks, had to also install geoclue-2.0

Stuart_M
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Installing redshift [solved]

Post by Stuart_M » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:31 am

With a standard installation of Redshift, the only change you can make is to enable or disable it.

FYI, if you want more control you can edit its startup command in the startup editor or (my preference) create a configuration file for it. It is located in ~/.config/redshift.conf. It probably won't exist, so create it.

The only reason for geoclue-2.0 is to automatically get your latitude/longitude (so it knows when sunrise and sunset is). You can easily put that information in its configuration file (or the startup command), and that will eliminate the need for geoclue-2.0. There are many places to get your GPS coordinates - I like https://www.whatsmygps.com.

Some of the changes that can be made are daytime temperatures (6500 is default), nighttime (3500 default), transition (immediate or gradual), brightness, gamma, and location.

http://jonls.dk/redshift is the Redshift website and explains what is needed in the configuration file.

To change using the startup command, https://www.reallinuxuser.com/how-to-ch ... at-startup.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:24 pm

I'll do a rebuild of redshift that'll pull in geoclue automatically, since it's only a Recommends now, which Debian installs by default, but not MX.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sunrat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Stevo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:24 pm
I'll do a rebuild of redshift that'll pull in geoclue automatically, since it's only a Recommends now, which Debian installs by default, but not MX.
That's probably a good idea to make it simple for people who don't like editing config files.
I will even be controversial and suggest MX starts installing Recommends by default. Most of the dragons that once accompanied that have now been slain and Recommends now are usually quite sane.

I didn't actually have it installed and just did so without geoclue, setting it up using the easy instructions from Stuart_M above. Copied the config file, looked up and inserted location with location set to "manual". Works fine but the example config includes "screen=1" which I had to change to "screen=0".

I'm surprised redshift-gtk panel applet is so basic in its options. As a regular KDE user the plasma-applet-redshift-control allows doing most of the config by right-clicking the icon.

Stuart_M
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Stuart_M » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 pm

sunrat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 pm
Stevo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:24 pm
Works fine but the example config includes "screen=1" which I had to change to "screen=0".
Oops, you're correct and I forgot to add that to my post which I got from the installation steps file I made. It's the last entry of the sample configuration file which I just commented out

Code: Select all

;screen=1
(or just deleted). If a screen is not identified, redshift will try to adjust all screens.

Thanks for the clarification.

Return to “MX Help”