Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Warning message during booting and shutdown in MX17

Help for Current Versions of MX
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Atlanelan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Warning message during booting and shutdown in MX17

#1 Post by Atlanelan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:12 am

When starting and shutting down MX17, in between lines of scrolling texts Im always seeing one line of text with an ORANGE coloured warning that says
"[WARN]Virtualbox additions disabled,not in a virtual box[warning]".
What this warning means? I do not install or use any virtual boxes.
Sys Info:MX17-32b, Intel Dual core Pentium,Nvidia GT218.

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9309
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Warning message during booting and shutdown in MX17

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 am

it means just what it says, that you aren't in a virtualbox, so the virtualbox drivers are not being loaded. "Warn" is a little bogus here. its more [INFO]. Our iso does contain those drivers by default.

You're fine, no issues. That said, its fine on a installed system to remove the virtualbox-guest-dkms stuff if you want to.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Atlanelan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Re: Warning message during booting and shutdown in MX17

#3 Post by Atlanelan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:29 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:it means just what it says, that you aren't in a virtualbox, so the virtualbox drivers are not being loaded. "Warn" is a little bogus here. its more [INFO]. Our iso does contain those drivers by default.

You're fine, no issues. That said, its fine on a installed system to remove the virtualbox-guest-dkms stuff if you want to.
Thakyou to know that it is not an issue.It is the "WARN" made me confused.

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9309
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Warning message during booting and shutdown in MX17

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:33 am

Atlanelan wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:it means just what it says, that you aren't in a virtualbox, so the virtualbox drivers are not being loaded. "Warn" is a little bogus here. its more [INFO]. Our iso does contain those drivers by default.

You're fine, no issues. That said, its fine on a installed system to remove the virtualbox-guest-dkms stuff if you want to.
Thakyou to know that it is not an issue.It is the "WARN" made me confused.
I totally understand. That particular "warning" comes from upstream Oracle.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: Warning message during booting and shutdown in MX17

#5 Post by Mauser » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am

Atlanelan wrote:When starting and shutting down MX17, in between lines of scrolling texts Im always seeing one line of text with an ORANGE coloured warning that says
"[WARN]Virtualbox additions disabled,not in a virtual box[warning]".
What this warning means? I do not install or use any virtual boxes.
Sys Info:MX17-32b, Intel Dual core Pentium,Nvidia GT218.
I get many warnings also. It's nothing to worry about. I look at them as decoration. MX Linux boots up and shuts down fine.

User avatar
Atlanelan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Re: Warning message during booting and shutdown in MX17

#6 Post by Atlanelan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Mauser wrote:
Atlanelan wrote:When starting and shutting down MX17, in between lines of scrolling texts Im always seeing one line of text with an ORANGE coloured warning that says
"[WARN]Virtualbox additions disabled,not in a virtual box[warning]".
What this warning means? I do not install or use any virtual boxes.
Sys Info:MX17-32b, Intel Dual core Pentium,Nvidia GT218.
I get many warnings also. It's nothing to worry about. I look at them as decoration. MX Linux boots up and shuts down fine.
Thankyou.

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: Warning message during booting and shutdown in MX17

#7 Post by Mauser » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Thankyou.
You're welcome.

Post Reply

Return to “MX Help”