Distrowatch and Init

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
chrispop99
Global Moderator

Distrowatch and Init

#1 Post by chrispop99 »

In this week's Distrowatch 'Readers' Comments' there is some criticism of the MX approach to systemd, and the fact that the way it is dealt with is not touted more. I tend to agree with that criticism; would it be possible to make a more prominent statement right on our home page please?

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Distrowatch and Init

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

chrispop99 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:24 pm In this week's Distrowatch 'Readers' Comments' there is some criticism of the MX approach to systemd, and the fact that the way it is dealt with is not touted more. I tend to agree with that criticism; would it be possible to make a more prominent statement right on our home page please?

Chris
I would prefer not to make a big deal about it. Some of the folks with criticism are far more passionate about their init system than I am.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

We might switch to systemd at some point why pee into the pool?

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

Not that my vote ought to count for a lot... but I like having the "either/ or" option. It does not really matter to me which one is the recommended; I just like having the option of choosing.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

anticapitalista
Developer

#5 Post by anticapitalista »

Adrian wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:03 pm We might switch to systemd at some point why pee into the pool?
That will mess up (probably break) all the live/persistence/remaster stuff though (unless you mean systemd for install and keep sysvinit for live)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Richard

#6 Post by Richard »

I was shouted down In the opening Devuan forum, several years ago, when I suggested that the quickest way around systemd was by use of the systemd-shim.

This sounds like more of the same rhetoric. They are still behind the eight ball despite a lot of hard work. AntiX has accomplished more with less and MX is successful by applying the systemd-shim.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Eggnog

#7 Post by Eggnog »

I'm not sure I understand. What's wrong with choice? SysVinit or systemd at startup. Use what you like. I guess I'll have to go read the criticisms on Distrowatch.

Eggnog

#8 Post by Eggnog »

Okay, just took a peek over there. It appears the biggest complaint is not that MX prefers SysV, but that MX isn't trumpeting their preference of SvsV over systemd. Apparently, some think that's a big deal.

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

Just shows to go you...

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

― John Lydgate
(https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/699462 ... all-of-the)

So I suggest: let us please ourselves... thus far it has been a 'most excellent' model. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

timkb4cq
Developer

#10 Post by timkb4cq »

The problem with promoting MX as systemd-free is that it's inaccurate. We don't let systemd take control of PID1 but we do use some of its libraries, so we'd get the anti-systemd fanatics complaining that we weren't being truthful and how dare we let the camel's nose into the tent!

Our choice of sysvinit control but using systemd libraries for compatibility is more about pragmatism than ideology. antiX's superb LiveUsb functionality is built around sysvinit. It uses fewer resources, runs faster, and is more flexible than anything else I've seen. MX starts with that base. Changing the init would almost certainly lose us more than anything we might stand to gain.

Our init status in distrowatch is clear enough but appears not to attract the fanatics. That works for me!
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Return to “Documentation and videos”