MX Wiki info is flying under the radar

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
dreamer

MX Wiki info is flying under the radar

#1 Post by dreamer »

One of the good things about MX Linux is the User Manual. I think it has the right length and depth. An additional source of info is the MX Wiki which I feel is easily forgotten. My suggestion is to add important Wiki links to the User Manual. The User Manual mentions "scanner" and mentions "gscan2pdf". In the Wiki there is a gscan2pdf entry. Why not at the end of each chapter in the MXUM provide links to relevant entries in the Wiki?

I have seen that there are some links to MX Wiki in the User Manual. I'm thinking that a user should only have to launch the User Manual and from there be able to find relevant MX Wiki links. I don't think most users search the Wiki or even know that it exists.

I do think this would expose Wiki info to more users. Having said that this is a minor thing. MX Linux feels like a complete project. Focusing on one desktop environment does give MX Linux sharper focus and more polish than most distros. The glacial development pace of Xfce also contributes to the stability of MX Linux. ;) :number1:

Gordon Cooper

Re: MX Wiki info is flying under the radar

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper »

The MX Manual contains many references to the MX Wiki. including links for scanners and gscan2pdf - could you not find them ?
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

dreamer

#3 Post by dreamer »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:19 pm The MX Manual contains many references to the MX Wiki. including links for scanners and gscan2pdf - could you not find them ?
I couldn't find a link to this in the User Manual:
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/applications/gscan2pdf

Gordon Cooper

#4 Post by Gordon Cooper »

@ dreamer. An apology, I got that one wrong. The gscan2pdf link refers to its home page, not the MX Wiki, the home page does contain more info. I agree with you over the Wiki being a good source, and the Manual does contain many Wiki references. I can guarantee that - having spent several hours last week inserting the links into a translation of the Manual.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Return to “Documentation and videos”