MX Linux Backup and Restore your running system

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
asinoro

Re: MX Linux Backup and Restore your running system

#11 Post by asinoro »

The guide it is updated. What is new.
1- rsync is included to restore the backup.
2- Updated commands to stop network.
3- New command added updatedb.
4- New more clear and precise help instructions.
If your case is solved, edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.

Fix your Grub

Adrian
Developer

#12 Post by Adrian »

Just moved my system to a SSD from a regular disk on a laptop and I realized that "Method C" is needlessly complex, if you boot from a flashdrive not from the system you want to backup/copy you don't need any exclude list, I simply created a similar partitioning scheme (I could not copy the partitions directly with GParted because the new ones are a bit smaller) and then I mounted the partitions and ran a

Code: Select all

rsync -av /old_part/ /new_part/
Then I had to reinstall GRUB and run update-grub and that was pretty much it. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that running rsync from live system makes things much easier.

asinoro

#13 Post by asinoro »

Adrian wrote:Just moved my system to a SSD from a regular disk on a laptop and I realized that "Method C" is needlessly complex, if you boot from a flashdrive not from the system you want to backup/copy you don't need any exclude list, I simply created a similar partitioning scheme (I could not copy the partitions directly with GParted because the new ones are a bit smaller) and then I mounted the partitions and ran a

Code: Select all

rsync -av /old_part/ /new_part/
Then I had to reinstall GRUB and run update-grub and that was pretty much it. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that running rsync from live system makes things much easier.
It is like the step 5 of the tutorial where you use rsync and I use cp.
If your case is solved, edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.

Fix your Grub

Adrian
Developer

#14 Post by Adrian »

Yes, you are right.

Return to “Documentation and videos”