Video: MX and Compiz

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
richb
Administrator

Re: Video: MX and Compiz

#21 Post by richb »

Nothing jumps out at me that is unusual.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Mauser

#22 Post by Mauser »

I found and fixed the problem. I was looking at kwin on YouTube since compiz didn't work and I came across this video from Spatry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEA_h0NBrG8&t=67s I followed his directions and it worked. I then enabled compiz in Sessions and Startup and the title bar was missing again but the windows were somewhat responsive this time. Then I thought about it and I figured I try disabling compton from Application Auto-start and rebooted and the title bar came back and everything works now. :) So it looks like there is a conflict between compiz and compton.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

asqwerth
Developer

#23 Post by asqwerth »

That makes sense. You had 2 different compositing programs running at the same time probably trying to do the same thing.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

Mauser wrote:I found and fixed the problem. I was looking at kwin on YouTube since compiz didn't work and I came across this video from Spatry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEA_h0NBrG8&t=67s I followed his directions and it worked. I then enabled compiz in Sessions and Startup and the title bar was missing again but the windows were somewhat responsive this time. Then I thought about it and I figured I try disabling compton from Application Auto-start and rebooted and the title bar came back and everything works now. :) So it looks like there is a conflict between compiz and compton.
You don't have to disable compton and restart, just run killall compton in a terminal. It's a good idea to disable it if you want to use compiz by default, of course.

Mauser

#25 Post by Mauser »

Stevo wrote:
Mauser wrote:I found and fixed the problem. I was looking at kwin on YouTube since compiz didn't work and I came across this video from Spatry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEA_h0NBrG8&t=67s I followed his directions and it worked. I then enabled compiz in Sessions and Startup and the title bar was missing again but the windows were somewhat responsive this time. Then I thought about it and I figured I try disabling compton from Application Auto-start and rebooted and the title bar came back and everything works now. :) So it looks like there is a conflict between compiz and compton.
You don't have to disable compton and restart, just run killall compton in a terminal. It's a good idea to disable it if you want to use compiz by default, of course.
I am not a fan of the ancient antiquated C.L.I. It's easier for me to do it through the G.U.I. Thanks anyway.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Stevo
Developer

#26 Post by Stevo »

Mauser wrote:
Stevo wrote:
I am not a fan of the ancient antiquated C.L.I. It's easier for me to do it through the G.U.I. Thanks anyway.
I find it a lot faster than restarting the system, but you can always just put that command in a script or a .desktop file and just click it with the mouse if you really want to be l33t :happy:

Return to “Documentation and videos”