Video: MX and Compiz

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
Stevo
Developer

Re: Video: MX and Compiz

#11 Post by Stevo »

It looks like just installing the compiz metapackage pulls in all those extras anyway:

Depends: compiz-core (>= 2:0.8.12.3-0mx15+1), compiz-plugins (>= 2:0.8.12.3-0mx15+1), compiz-gtk (>= 2:0.8.12.3-0mx15+1), compiz-fusion-plugins-main, compizconfig-settings-manager, libcompizconfig0 (>= 0.8.12-0~), fusion-icon, ccsm | simple-ccsm, compiz-fusion-plugins-extra, compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported

I think I moved some of those from recommended to hard dependencies to make it a simpler install when rebuilding the packages, so that should make it easier to put compiz in the package installer.

asqwerth
Developer

#12 Post by asqwerth »

Another thing to note about using Compiz - if you activate it and find that the window top bar and borders are missing, it's because you didn't tick the "Window Decorations" option in Compiz Settings Manager (accessible from right-clicking the Fusion Icon in notification area):
mx-compizsettings.png
I saw one comment in your Youtube video mentioning the missing top bar of windows.

Anyway, after ticking the said option, right click Fusion Icon and Reload Window Manager.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Mauser

#13 Post by Mauser »

asqwerth wrote:Another thing to note about using Compiz - if you activate it and find that the window top bar and borders are missing, it's because you didn't tick the "Window Decorations" option in Compiz Settings Manager (accessible from right-clicking the Fusion Icon in notification area):

mx-compizsettings.png

I saw one comment in your Youtube video mentioning the missing top bar of windows.

Anyway, after ticking the said option, right click Fusion Icon and Reload Window Manager.
After seeing your post I figured I give compiz an other try. Even with Window Decorations selected it still doesn't show the title bar on any windows making my computer not usable for me. I went back to not using compiz and the title bars are back.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

asqwerth
Developer

#14 Post by asqwerth »

@Mauser, after ticking on "Window Decoration" did you open the Emerald Theme Manager (accessible from right-clicking the Fusion Icon in notification area) and choosing any theme within, and then reload Window Manager (also from Fusion Icon right click menu)?
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Mauser

#15 Post by Mauser »

asqwerth wrote:@Mauser, after ticking on "Window Decoration" did you open the Emerald Theme Manager (accessible from right-clicking the Fusion Icon in notification area) and choosing any theme within, and then reload Window Manager (also from Fusion Icon right click menu)?
I now tried that and it almost bricked my system. Windows wouldn't respond at all and still no top title bar. Not even X-kill would work. Luckily the window sizes were rendered incorrectly that I had a free space on the desktop to right click on so I could navigate to take compiz out of start up to get my computer back. I am not going to try to use compiz ever again.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

richb
Administrator

#16 Post by richb »

Mauser wrote:
asqwerth wrote:@Mauser, after ticking on "Window Decoration" did you open the Emerald Theme Manager (accessible from right-clicking the Fusion Icon in notification area) and choosing any theme within, and then reload Window Manager (also from Fusion Icon right click menu)?
I now tried that and it almost bricked my system. Windows wouldn't respond at all and still no top title bar. Not even X-kill would work. Luckily the window sizes were rendered incorrectly that I had a free space on the desktop to right click on so I could navigate to take compiz out of start up to get my computer back. I am not going to try to use compiz ever again.
What system are you using? Inxi -F. On MX 16.1 XFCE DE it is working fine for me.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Mauser

#17 Post by Mauser »

richb wrote:
Mauser wrote:
What system are you using? Inxi -F. On MX 16.1 XFCE DE it is working fine for me.
I don't understand what you mean.

Ogis

#18 Post by Ogis »

Mauser wrote:
richb wrote:
Mauser wrote: I now tried that and it almost bricked my system. Windows wouldn't respond at all and still no top title bar. Not even X-kill would work. Luckily the window sizes were rendered incorrectly that I had a free space on the desktop to right click on so I could navigate to take compiz out of start up to get my computer back. I am not going to try to use compiz ever again.
Show command inxi -F output....

asqwerth
Developer

#19 Post by asqwerth »

Open the terminal and type

inxi -F
[case is important]

press RETURN

Then copy and paste the output in this forum.

This will help us have a better idea of what hardware cannot support compiz.

I'm curious myself because I was happily running compiz and its predecessors on a Dell Pentium 4 with weak ATI Radeon graphics card up to end 2014.

Mauser

#20 Post by Mauser »

Ogis wrote:
Mauser wrote:
richb wrote: What system are you using? Inxi -F. On MX 16.1 XFCE DE it is working fine for me.
Show command inxi -F output....
System: Host: MX16 Kernel: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2
Distro: MX-16_x64 Metamorphosis 12 December 2016
Machine: Device: desktop System: HP product: 510-p026
Mobo: HP model: 81B4 v: 00 UEFI [Legacy]: AMI v: F.13 date: 08/02/2016
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-6400T (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 897 MHz 2: 860 MHz 3: 875 MHz 4: 899 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Device 1912
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1366x768@59.81hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) GLX Version: 4.3 Mesa 12.0.3
Audio: Card Intel Device a170 driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: ec:8e:b5:d8:80:88
Card-2: Intel Device 3165 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 84:ef:18:57:29:2f
Drives: HDD Total Size: 8001.5GB (6.8% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD4003FZEX size: 4000.8GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Elements_107C size: 4000.8GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 3.6T used: 496G (15%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 30.0C mobo: 27.8C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 213 Uptime: 1:29 Memory: 1307.1/11881.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.21

Return to “Documentation and videos”