Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Developer
Posts: 12557
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#1

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Jerry3904
Administrator
Posts: 25748
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am

Re: Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#2

Post by Jerry3904 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:57 pm

A good one to have in the collection--will take a look later.

EDIT: looked at it just now, a very useful addition to your earlier video. I am working up to trying MX-16 on my work laptop one of these days, a Dell XPS machine with Windows 8.1, and these will help a lot.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#3

Post by skidoo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:23 pm

FYI: when loaded to firefox or palemoon, I got "your browser doesn't support any of the available playback formats".
Ironically (sez me), it does play successfully for me (if I enable Flash) via an ooooold TorBrowser.

edit:
NOW WORKING in firefox.
my guess: it takes a while for youtube to generate html5-playable versions of any newly-uploaded videos

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Developer
Posts: 12557
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#4

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:59 pm

skidoo wrote: edit:
NOW WORKING in firefox.
my guess: it takes a while for youtube to generate html5-playable versions of any newly-uploaded videos

That's interesting about timing. Played immediately in html5 in chrome. I was pretty quick with the links tonught because I'm camping at a science.museum with cub scouts and I had to get on the road.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Paul..
Global Moderator
Posts: 2679
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#5

Post by Paul.. » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:03 am

Hey D_O, really helpful video...your new rig is lookin' good!!

Looks like I have the same UEFI firmware in my Thinkpad T431.

Good news...Turns out I don't need CSM support at all.

I dual boot (Win10 and MX-16) fine with UEFI-only and No CSM support...Win10 shows up in GRUB, of course.

http://imgur.com/a/QLP4J

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 19425
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#6

Post by richb » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:30 am

So that is why I could not get Manjaro to boot from the USB stick. My BIOS is set to the UEFI/Legacy mode. MX-16 is on a legacy boot drive. I will have to wait until 17 to change it over. Thanks for the video.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

User avatar
asqwerth
Developer
Posts: 5162
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Re: Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#7

Post by asqwerth » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:33 am

Mine was even more confusing. My BIOS settings list out every single possible device I could use to boot the machine, and then it gives a separate UEFI and a legacy boot option for each so that you can order the WHOLE list in the boot order that you want.

So there are UEFI and separate Legacy options each for all HDDs and SSDs on my system, CD/DVD drive, plus the possible USB HDD, USB SSD, USB CD/DVD drive, USB stick/drive, network drive, floppy drives (!!) devices that people might have. It's a super long list and I'm supposed to rearrange them in the order that I want the machine to try detecting and booting.

And that's what confused me because for my USB sticks, I had unknowingly had UEFI USB stick option listed before Legacy USB stick, so all my live USB sticks were booting into UEFI even though my main SSD (/dev/sda) was legacy boot with grub on MBR.

It really confused some distros' installers and they would refuse to install in legacy/MBR mode to my puzzlement.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Developer
Posts: 12557
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#8

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:00 pm

asqwerth wrote:Mine was even more confusing. My BIOS settings list out every single possible device I could use to boot the machine, and then it gives a separate UEFI and a legacy boot option for each so that you can order the WHOLE list in the boot order that you want.

So there are UEFI and separate Legacy options each for all HDDs and SSDs on my system, CD/DVD drive, plus the possible USB HDD, USB SSD, USB CD/DVD drive, USB stick/drive, network drive, floppy drives (!!) devices that people might have. It's a super long list and I'm supposed to rearrange them in the order that I want the machine to try detecting and booting.

And that's what confused me because for my USB sticks, I had unknowingly had UEFI USB stick option listed before Legacy USB stick, so all my live USB sticks were booting into UEFI even though my main SSD (/dev/sda) was legacy boot with grub on MBR.

It really confused some distros' installers and they would refuse to install in legacy/MBR mode to my puzzlement.
That is kind of how the gigabyte motherboard I have works. And to top it off, the boot device menu will list my usb's twice on that machine, 1 for legacy and 1 fore uefi.

The short answer to this story is to know your system's options!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Paul..
Global Moderator
Posts: 2679
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#9

Post by Paul.. » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:08 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:That is kind of how the gigabyte motherboard I have works. And to top it off, the boot device menu will list my usb's twice on that machine, 1 for legacy and 1 fore uefi.
I see the same double listing for Live USB (UEFI & Legacy) on my Dell test machine. Will probably take years before there is any consistency amongst UEFI firmware implementations.

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

Shay2
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Re: Video: UEFI Boot Issues, and some settings to check

#10

Post by Shay2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Paul.. wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:That is kind of how the gigabyte motherboard I have works. And to top it off, the boot device menu will list my usb's twice on that machine, 1 for legacy and 1 fore uefi.
I see the same double listing for Live USB (UEFI & Legacy) on my Dell test machine. Will probably take years before there is any consistency amongst UEFI firmware implementations.
MSI does that too.

Post Reply

Return to “Documentation and videos”