New subforum

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
Earl57

Re: New subforum

#11 Post by Earl57 »

I'll probably install KDE on my MX install just to see how much it is different from M12. Probably not much. I used my MX14 disk Friday to do some things on my Win 7 machine at work. I no longer have admin rights on my work machine thanks to our new IT team, so there are things I can no longer do from within Windows, but I can do outside of Windows with a live Linux session. I booted into MX14, and it took only a few minutes to feel right at home, and was able to copy/delete files that were inaccessible to me from within Windows. I think MX could easily replace my go-to M8 installed on a thumb drive for repair work.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#12 Post by Jerry3904 »

Make sure to check out the document of users before you who have gone that route:

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/doc_mx/advanced_kde.html
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

uncle mark

#13 Post by uncle mark »

Earl57 wrote:I no longer have admin rights on my work machine thanks to our new IT team, so there are things I can no longer do from within Windows, but I can do outside of Windows with a live Linux session. I booted into MX14, and it took only a few minutes to feel right at home, and was able to copy/delete files that were inaccessible to me from within Windows.
LOL. Maybe that's what they didn't want you doing? :hell:
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Earl57

#14 Post by Earl57 »

I'm sure they don't. But over the years, I wound up with 4 user accounts on this machine, 2 local, and 2 domain accounts, and I find now that I don't have access to my other accounts. It was handy to be able to login as Admin and clean the registry or install/delete apps. I also had some files and templates that I needed occasional access to under my old domain account. Also some other utilities that ran as admin that I can't use now.
Using my MX cd, I was able to move the files that I wanted to keep to my current user account, and delete a bunch of stuff I didn't need anymore. I was also able to see some interesting stuff in those files denied to me, like remote login credentials written in plain text.....

Return to “Documentation and videos”