mxlinux and i3 is not a perfect marriage

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
manyroads

Re: mxlinux and i3 is not a perfect marriage

#11 Post by manyroads »

Because the same things is running in two threads... here is what I posted in the 'other' thread:
viewtopic.php?p=655805#p655805

What I can tell everyone (because there is no way to make a screenshot of it is....) I use all the tools presented in the 5 images. I have no problems with any of them. None work differently from the way they work in xfce.

FWIW:
The screenshots are from my dwm desktop (these functions look the same on i3wm)...
Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by manyroads on Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

nXecure

#12 Post by nXecure »

Dear pseudo-expert.
Add this startup command to i3 config after installing policykit-1-gnome

Code: Select all

exec --no-startup-id /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
start your i3 session.
Launch mx-tools and select an item from there.
Enter password
Profit

Man, I really can't understand these pseudo-experts. They go "I am a tile window manager genius" but they don't know sh*t about how an operating system works. I NEVER use tiling (I am a stack NOOB), with less linux experience than Dr. pseudo-expert, but it seems I am a genius! I am waiting for those 100 dollars being donated to the MX-antiX project.
antiX Live system enthusiast.
General Live Boot Parameters for antiX/MX.

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

nXecure wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:18 am Dear pseudo-expert.
Add this startup command to i3 config after installing policykit-1-gnome

exec --no-startup-id /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
start your i3 session.
Launch mx-tools and select an item from there.
Enter password
Profit

Man, I really can't understand these pseudo-experts. They go "I am a tile window manager genius" but they don't know sh*t about how an operating system works. I NEVER use tiling (I am a stack NOOB), with less linux experience than Dr. pseudo-expert, but it seems I am a genius! I am waiting for those 100 dollars being donated to the MX-antiX project.
Personally, I prefer to use lxpolkit (and lxsessions) with wms. That's an old recommendation I received from @dolphin_oracle . Sadly though both lxpolkit & lxsessions are getting dependency heavy in many distros. I still like their rudimental look & feel, though. But I'm old. What do I know. :needcoffee: :number1:

EDIT: Proof of life photo (scrot):

EDIT EDIT: because I start both i3wm & dwm in the same userspace, I move such polkit commands (on debian) to .xsessionrc the command I use is:

# Polkit #####################
lxpolkit &
#/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
And yes.... I leave the gnome polkit command (from arch, I think :eek: ) there as reminder of what I might want to use if lxpolkit runs into an issue or if I move the start file to a different environment.
Last edited by manyroads on Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

nXecure

#14 Post by nXecure »

manyroads wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:26 am Personally, I prefer to use lxpolkit (and lxsessions) with wms. That's an old recommendation I received from @dolphin_oracle . Sadly though both lxpolkit & lxsessions are getting dependency heavy in many distros. I still like their rudimental look & feel, though. But I'm old. What do I know. :needcoffee: :number1:
I understand. WMs are made to be light. I just went with the first polickit recommended to work with everything. I don't use any at all on antiX, so my recommendation isn't the best, and it is better to follow your guidance with this.

Hopefully this will illustrate that there is more than one road (wink) to reach the same outcome, and that is the Linux way (choice).
antiX Live system enthusiast.
General Live Boot Parameters for antiX/MX.

oops

#15 Post by oops »

nXecure wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:31 am ...
Hopefully this will illustrate that there is more than one road (wink) to reach the same outcome, and that is the Linux way (choice).
... You are right, but for some people the effort to learn a little by oneself seems to be an insurmountable suffering. It's easier and practical to say that it does not work (in a first time). ;-)
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

deanr72

#16 Post by deanr72 »

I'll add another for what it's worth.

I directly replaced xfwm in the Xfce version of MX-Linux with awesomewm and have no problems running any of the mx apps. In fact, it all runs beautifully and I'm working up to cloning it onto my desktop as my daily driver.

At log-in, I choose the default Xfce session. I believe installing wms otherwise do indeed require polkit(s) in order to get native apps and synaptic working correctly.

drogon69

#17 Post by drogon69 »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:51 am well, none-root level mx tools seem to be ok.
and how is it opened by sudo synaptic , yes that is the way that you have opened , that proofs nothing , sysnaptic must open without sudo in tilling window manager , you dont fool me

manyroads

#18 Post by manyroads »

Mods, please close this thread.
Pax vobiscum,

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#19 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Thread has outlived its usefulness, closed.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#20 Post by dolphin_oracle »

drogon69 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:19 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:51 am well, none-root level mx tools seem to be ok.
and how is it opened by sudo synaptic , yes that is the way that you have opened , that proofs nothing , sysnaptic must open without sudo in tilling window manager , you dont fool me
I don't need to fool you, I know how to operate polkit at least enough to launch apps.

here's a video showing launching a polkit authenticator, along with several apps from the dmenu. there is no audio in the video because I don't have a mic with me.

There is a lot more to building up a system than installing a window manager. It helps to know how some of the underlying stuff works.

happy trails.

https://youtu.be/1SbdwL3CmZE
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “MX Modified”