MX Beowulf (Devuan) Respin

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
GuiGuy

Re: MX Beowulf (Devuan) Respin

#11 Post by GuiGuy »

Update:-
Most of the MX goodies do not work: e.g.printer installation, pulse audio, and the Thunar enhancements.
But I have installed my printers using CUPS in browser, got sound working by completely removing the pulseaudio package (who needs it?).
The Thunar enhancements present a bigger problem, but I am beginning to think MX-Devuan will be a good bolt-hole for me if/when MX becomes systemd-only.

manyroads

#12 Post by manyroads »

GuiGuy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:24 pm Update:-
Most of the MX goodies do not work: e.g.printer installation, pulse audio, and the Thunar enhancements.
But I have installed my printers using CUPS in browser, got sound working by completely removing the pulseaudio package (who needs it?).
The Thunar enhancements present a bigger problem, but I am beginning to think MX-Devuan will be a good bolt-hole for me if/when MX becomes systemd-only.
I think @rasat and I are both trying to achieve the same end, using differing bases. I personally think a better 'bolt-hole' for MX users is antiX. I have also always thought that Devuan seemed like a logical & viable option for MX use.

If people truly want to send a powerful message regarding the direction of systemd, then having the most popular Distrowatch distro move to, or at least offer, a Devuan option might accomplish that task.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

rasat

#13 Post by rasat »

Thanks GuiGuy for testing Xfce, MX apps and the config tools. I am testing Gnome, more familiar with.

@manyroads and myself presenting different bases for users and devs to choose.

manyroads

#14 Post by manyroads »

rasat wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:04 pm
Thanks GuiGuy for testing Xfce, MX apps and the config tools. I am testing Gnome, more familiar with.
@rasat. I'm not an expert of repos but it looks to me like you do not have the mx repos enabled.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

rasat

#15 Post by rasat »

They are not enabled.... not sure which one to enable to have updated MX tools & apps.

manyroads

#16 Post by manyroads »

rasat wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 pm They are not enabled.... not sure which one to enable to have updated MX tools & apps.
If they are not... they might explain why a number of functions don't work. Without the repos you won't get the software install or updated. I think you need to enable a set equal to that used on MX in order to get similar functionality. But don't trust me... :lipsrsealed: :eek:
Pax vobiscum,

dreamer

#17 Post by dreamer »

For a Devuan based system the Refracta tools are probably a better fit. The thing to keep in mind is that current MX tools and probably current Refracta tools are built for Stretch. Next version of Debian/Devuan is still baking and when it's done tools and repos will be updated. It's probably not a good idea to enable Stretch repos in Buster/Beowulf.
Refracta also includes special tools - refractainstaller, refractasnapshot and refracta2usb - that allow you to customize your installation and create a live-CD or live-USB of your running system. These tools will work on most Debian or Devuan-based systems.

Refracta is based on Devuan GNU/Linux. Everything installed in Refracta is free and open-source software. You can download it, use it, copy it, and share it with friends. If you install any packages from non-free repositories, you may be asked to accept the appropriate license. More information about licenses can be found here.
https://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/

EDIT: Refracta seems outdated. I know the Refracta tools are present in at least one up to date distro. Overall much less energy/momentum than MX Linux though.

figueroa

#18 Post by figueroa »

manyroads wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 am I think I prefer the idea of going with XFCE/openbox antiX over Devuan. I'll try MX Devuan, though ('cause why not?!?!)
What is the perceived advantage of using Openbox for XFCE versus its own XFWM?
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

manyroads

#19 Post by manyroads »

figueroa wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:18 pm
manyroads wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 am I think I prefer the idea of going with XFCE/openbox antiX over Devuan. I'll try MX Devuan, though ('cause why not?!?!)
What is the perceived advantage of using Openbox for XFCE versus its own XFWM?
I actually am using them the other way around, where xfce is subservient to OB. The footprint is about 100MB smaller with OB on top and xfce on the bottom (so to speak). :footinmouth:
Pax vobiscum,

skidoo

#20 Post by skidoo »

Return to “MX Modified”