MX Cinnamon respin / remastering not possible

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
betazoid

MX Cinnamon respin / remastering not possible

#1 Post by betazoid »

Hi, I have created a respin with Cinnamon. I have removed XFCE. However, after a modification I wanted to remaster the respin again and got the error message "problem starting mksquashfs. Could not get PID".
Apparently I could execute remaster right after removing XFCE, but not after a reboot. I suspect that some important package was removed with XFCE?
How can this problem be solved?
Thanks in advance for the help
Anna

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX Cinnamon respin / remastering not possible

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

the remaster script throws out that error when it can't find a PID (process ID) for the run-mksquashfs process. that script runs in a terminal called with "x-terminal-emulator".

see if you can run "x-terminal-emulator" and if you get a working terminal. On a basic MX install, that command opens xfce4-terminal.
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dphn

#3 Post by dphn »

with Cinnamon DE it's easier you use LMDE3, add MX-repos and install some MX-Tools. It's a systemd system.

Other way is purging xfce, add LMDE3 repos to MX-Linux and install cinnamon, nemo, mint-artwork, mint-x-icons, mint-y-icons, mintsources, mint-mirrors, mint-wallpapers-tara. Have tried this for a while. Looks exactly like Linux Mint, the best cinnamon experience.

For the snapshot packages mx-snapshot, mx-remaster, mx-iso-template, mx-installer must be installed. Other packages are dependencies like squashfs-tools, syslinux, syslinux-utils
for those with an eye for the finer details...

dphn

#4 Post by dphn »

with Cinnamon DE it's easier you use LMDE3, add MX-repos and install some MX-Tools. It's a systemd system.

Other way is purging xfce, add LMDE3 repos to MX-Linux and install cinnamon, nemo, mint-artwork, mint-x-icons, mint-y-icons, mint-themes, mint-backgrounds-tara. Have tried this for a while. Looks exactly like Linux Mint, the best cinnamon experience.

For the snapshot packages mx-snapshot, mx-remaster, mx-iso-template, mx-installer must be installed. Other packages are dependencies like squashfs-tools, syslinux, syslinux-utils, xorriso
for those with an eye for the finer details...

betazoid

#5 Post by betazoid »

Thanks for the answers.
LMDE is not really an option for me because I need the new kernel.
I have also tried to (re-)install the XFCE terminal, but it does not seem to help.
I will try that other way though, I think - adding the Mint Debian repos.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

well, I didn't say to reinstall the xfce4-terminal, I said to check and see if x-terminal-emulator gets you a terminal. its different. and with the adding and subtracting of software, its very possible that the x-terminal-emulator is pointed at the wrong terminal, and that likely won't change when adding other sources.

you can also check with the "alternatives-configuration" in the menu, if its still install.

rasat

#7 Post by rasat »

I had same problem with Gnome respin (without Xfce). Try the command line instead of MX Snapshot icon.

su-to-root -X -c mx-snapshot

betazoid

#8 Post by betazoid »

well x-terminal-emulator calls up the gnome terminal, this is also the (only) choice that is shown in alternatives-configuration unter x-terminal-emulator

@rasat: I do not understand. the problem is not snapshot but remaster.

btw: how do I add the LMDE repo to MX?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#9 Post by dolphin_oracle »

ok, now make sure that squashfs-tools is still installed.

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy squashfs-tools

betazoid

#10 Post by betazoid »

squashfs-tools is installed

Return to “MX Modified”