MX Cinnamon respin / remastering not possible

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX Cinnamon respin / remastering not possible

#11 Post by dolphin_oracle »

stranger and stranger.

do you still have the apt history available from mx-updater->right click->History ?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

rasat

#12 Post by rasat »

Sorry, thought its about snapshot. For my information, why to remaster when snapshot its much easier and gives two options: (1) Personal backup, and (2) For distribution for others.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#13 Post by dolphin_oracle »

rasat wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:31 pm Sorry, thought its about snapshot. For my information, why to remaster when snapshot its much easier and gives two options: (1) Personal backup, and (2) For distribution for others.
because remaster works to remaster a live-USB without installing and doing a snapshot.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#14 Post by dolphin_oracle »

as part of my testing, I downloaded this spin from a community member:

https://faitfranco.wordpress.com/2018/1 ... mon-remix/

that spin is cinnamon, and works fine with remaster. AFAICT Xfce has also been removed from that spin.

betazoid

#15 Post by betazoid »

unfortunately I do not have the history any more. I already deleted the "original" live system form the pendrive. Now I only have it as a snapshot (iso).
I do not know if this helps but a few days ago I made a respin with Gnome. When I uninstalled XFCE Konsole was installed automatically and remasterig works. I uninstalled Konsole. Remastering did not work any more. I re-installed Konsole, remaster worked. If I remember correctly. But I think this time I tried it with Konsole as well and it did not help.

BitJam
Developer

#16 Post by BitJam »

For now, you can work around this bug by running the following in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

sudo live-remaster --cli
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

BitJam
Developer

#17 Post by BitJam »

BTW, I think the problem is that gnome-terminal doesn't support the --title option, at least it does not appear in the gnome-terminal man page. Running from a terminal window like I suggested above should still work.

BTW, you can try this fix by editing /usr/local/bin/live-remaster. Comment out line 371:

#($GUI_TERM $TERM_TITLE_OPT "$(gt "Remastering -- DO NOT CLOSE")" $TERM_OPTS $MKSQ_COMMAND &>/dev/null)&
and then add this line to replace it:

($GUI_TERM $TERM_OPTS $MKSQ_COMMAND &>/dev/null)&
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

betazoid

#18 Post by betazoid »

Thank you @BitJam, that was it! Remastering works now. In the remaster progress window the progress is always shown as 0% - but of course that is not a big deal.

gbhollr

#19 Post by gbhollr »

dphn wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:33 am with Cinnamon DE it's easier you use LMDE3, add MX-repos and install some MX-Tools. It's a systemd system.
Wait a minute. Even though MX Linux uses SysV as its init software, you're saying the Cinnamon desktop environment itself
also installs systemd to replace it?

Please tell me I misunderstood you.

Stevo
Developer

#20 Post by Stevo »

It's not necessary to boot MX with systemd to use either the Stretch Cinnamon or the 3.8 Cinnamon currently in our test repo.

Return to “MX Modified”