software support / installation in MX Linux

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
Santosh

software support / installation in MX Linux

#1 Post by Santosh »

Hi friends,
I had installed MX Linux Continuum on my Compaq Presario CQ57 laptop, having 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, I3 2.10 GHz processor.
I had installed KDE Plasma by using Synaptic Package Manager. I am always using Synaptic Package Manager for installation of software like youtube-dl, neofetch, screen recorder and so many.
After installation of KDE, I was unable to login to user account and had to login from root.
Even after uninstallation of KDE, I was unable to login to my user account and finally had to switch back to Debian again.
Kindly advise me what not to do while using MX_Linux, since I love MX Linux and want to re-install.
Thanks in advance.

aledie

Re: software support / installation in MX Linux

#2 Post by aledie »

@Santosh,
Have you tried Adrian's KDE respin? It is based on MX 17.1, but after you make updates there will be not much difference to 18, as both use Debian Stretch repositories (Maybe only artwork from 17.1, kernel to be upgraded - the others (@Adrian) may correct me! But the rest wouldn't be much different, and twicked by Adrian already I guess to work on MX. I tried it half year ago, was ok. Maybe you try it from USB or in VM and see if you like it.

P.S. btw, I tried it on CQ32-111TX then, 4Gb RAM, no issues at all... Fast and middle light on resources.

http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php? ... b43ff0f7c9
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

sunrat

#3 Post by sunrat »

What KDE packages did you install? I tried this once and realised after a little frustration that installing the plasma-desktop package was incomplete. What was required was the kde-plasma-desktop package. kde-standard should work as well if you want a complete selection of KDE packages. I didn't like the results so didn't keep it.
I second the recommendation to try Adrian's KDE respin. It should work much better on MX.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

MX Package installer also has a kde-standard install that I think is more complete than Synaptic's. You could also turn on recommended packages in Synaptic.

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

From what I can remember, before a particular desktop environment is added to the Popular Apps tab of MXPI, the devs/packaging team actually check on what should constitute a reasonable set of related packages that should be installed together in order to arrive at a working DE that can be configured by the user without too much difficulty (which means certain accessories and settings managers should be included, for instance). That list of packages is then written into MXPI's packagelist.

That's is why installing a DE from the MXPI Popular Apps tab might be more complete than installing from Synaptic where you decide yourself which packages should be added (if not a hard dependency). Or as Stevo says you can set Synaptic to install not just the hard dependencies but even all recommended packages, but this might also install a lot of stuff you don't need.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

aledie

#6 Post by aledie »

Seems like someone was quite successful installing KDE on MX-18, quoting from Distrowatch reviews here:
https://distrowatch.com/dwres-mobile.ph ... &distro=mx
Version: 18
Rating: 10
Date: 2019-01-14
Votes: 23

This is the best distro I've found to date, I feel my distro hopping days are over. I use KDE and even though this distro comes with a different desktop it was easy enough to use the MX package manager to add my KDE, one click to download everything I wanted, sit back sip some coffee and watch MX work, it's amazing! then a simple reboot into my KDE and boom I'm ready to do my work with my favorite desktop environment. I wish I could give more than a 10 rating because this team deserves much more for such a great distro. Thanks MX team, keep up the good work! :)
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

dphn

#7 Post by dphn »

@aledie

when your're a KDE user only, you can deinstall xfce completely with a simple command like this

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge libxfce4util* orage tumbler-common && sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
and delete /etc/skel/.config/xfce4 and /etc/skel/.config/Thunar and the same in your ~/

The result is a Plasma only System. :happy:
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Return to “MX Modified”