MX Gnome 3.30 buster Respin (v.07)

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
rasat

MX Gnome 3.30 buster Respin (v.07)

#1 Post by rasat »

Here is my new year's promise, said in tread: "Here comes 2019.... duck!"
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47593&p=475283&hilit=2019#p475283

Fully upgraded (dist-upgrade) MX Gnome 3.30 buster respin, based on MX 18. Minimal Gnome install, no Nautilus but Thunar file manager and MX tools (Xfce is removed). One of the aim is/was to test Debian buster is stable enough, which seems doing well. The transition freeze of Debian 10 is planned on January 12, with Buster's soft-freeze scheduled for February 12.

KNOWN BUGS
1) MX tool icon launchers don't work. Run commands in terminal.
su-to-root -X -c mx-boot-options
su-to-root -X -c mx-snapshot

2) Gnome Software says: "Sorry, something went wrong", but does the install.
3) Extension "TopIcons Plus" shows number of new up-gradable packages, but does not do the upgrade. Use Synaptic "Mark All Upgrades".

GRUB:
After install, grub shows: "Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid" (originally MX-18 Continuum but changed by snapshot)

HINTS
* Install new extensions:
https://extensions.gnome.org/

* List of popular extensions:
https://beebom.com/22-best-gnome-shell-extensions/

My favourite: "Workspaces to Dock".

* Change background and icons with Tweak (Appearance)

DOWNLOAD - respin-mx-gnome-buster-20190314-v07.iso (1.6Gb)
https://archive.org/details/mx-linux-gn ... ter-respin

MD5: c2c376d7db68f3b65d41dfaaf6ce7290

TO INSTALL:
Run in terminal "sudo -E minstall" or click Installer.desktop in ~/Desktop

NOTE: In general, works well in my machine, hopefully for you also.
Last edited by rasat on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 am, edited 10 times in total.

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX Gnome 3.30 buster Respin

#2 Post by Stevo »

This bodes well for a future in-place upgrade to a Buster-based MX, too!

Downloading now to take a look at it.

rasat

#3 Post by rasat »

Forgot to mention. In iso, there is no install icon. Run in terminal "sudo -E minstall"

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

rasat wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:47 pm Forgot to mention. In iso, there is no install icon. Run in terminal "sudo -E minstall"
Is that because GNOME doesn't display desktop icons, or because the /usr/share/applications/minstall.desktop file is missing? I haven't had time to boot it up in vbox yet...

rasat

#5 Post by rasat »

I just checked..... in boot up with CD/USB the /usr/share/applications/minstall.desktop, is missing. After installing in hard drive, its there.

dphn

#6 Post by dphn »

Install icon must be placed in /etc/skel/Desktop and /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel/Desktop. Last one only needed for MX-snapshot. /etc/skel/Desktop icon removed after an install and MX-snapshot copies the content of live-files on the right place before build squashfs.

The mx-installer icon in /usr/share/applications has a NoDesktop = true entry, so that this is not shown on a real install.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

rasat

#7 Post by rasat »

Thanks dphn, I will add the icon.

Found a missing feature, copy and paste doesn't work. Is this depending on a pkg?

EDIT
[Solved} Downgraded clipit to 1.4.2 (latest 1.4.4)

koesherbacon

#8 Post by koesherbacon »

Hey there! I'm giving this a test and the first thing I noticed was that all the apt repos are configured for Stretch not Buster. Naturally I wasn't expecting to see this, as indicated by the title of the thread as well as the name of the iso. Was this an oversight on the newest iso you created?

I noticed something else just now which is extremely annoying. No matter which terminal is installed or used, selected text becomes unselected after just a fraction of a second and when pressing ctrl+shift+c immediately after highlighting. I've never seen a bug like this. Has anyone else encountered this or am I unique?
〜 Ev

rasat

#9 Post by rasat »

Thanks for taking interest in the respin. Its buster, in repo there is: "deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main". I kept stretch, buster was still adding new packages. To upgrade latest pkgs, run Synaptic... "Reload", "Mark All Upgrades, and Apply.

I think the bug is same what I mentioned earlier, copy and paste doesn't work. Solution: downgrade clipit to 1.4.2 (currently 1.4.4). Uninstall clipit, and download 1.4.2 here.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/clipit

Install with gdebi. Not to upgrade, run: "sudo apt-mark hold clipit".

rasat

#10 Post by rasat »

Did a test, upgraded to latest. Its seems clipit is now working with 1.4.4-2. Before downgrading, first upgrade with Synaptic, and do a test.

Return to “MX Modified”